Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the junk yard today and found a ex-tow truck with 10 bolt front and a 14 rear. I just need the 14 bolt which looks to be in decent shape and straight

Should I be worried that it was in a tow truck?

You think its time to set up the Big a$$ Planeing mill at work!!!??? :D :D

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
14 bolts are big, it shouldnt hurt it, after all thats what they are made for, any other 14 bolt has probably had a shit load of weight on them as well, seeing as how they were ussually in farm trucks.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
"D" said:

Should I be worried that it was in a tow truck?

:D :D
Yes!!! It has been worked hard all of it's life. Heavy weights, hard driving, no mercy. It will probably need all new bearings, the housing could be flexed, axle shafts fatigued:rolleyes:
I don't care about, "its a 14 bolt, it was made for this kind of work, blah, blah, blah......." They are heavy duty in Jeep, Yota, etc..., but are at their limit in a 1 ton truck. Farmers also are not the only peolpe that ran 14 bolts. Perfectly good 14 bolts are easy to find at the PnPs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Get one out of a Van. I think that they are the same width as a front 60 (84 CUCV) . I think (getting old poor memory) that my 14 bolt and dana 60 are 69" wms to wms. I would stay away from one that was under a tow truck. As said earlier that it's probably had a hard life. Good luck.:D

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
patcal19 said:
Get one out of a Van. I think that they are the same width as a front 60.
What D60???? There are all sorts of different widths available. Just saying that a 14 Bolt is the same width as a front D60 is pretty fucking vague:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
patcal19 said:
Get one out of a Van. I think that they are the same width as a front 60. I think (getting old poor memory) that my 14 bolt and dana 60 are 69" wms to wms. I would stay away from one that was under a tow truck. As said earlier that it's probably had a hard life. Good luck.:D
The widest 14 bolts are 67".

·
Registered
192 Posts
14 bolts are ridiculously easy to find. I would stay away from the tow truck... what kind of tow truck has a 10 bolt front?

Anyway, 14 bolts were widely used on 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks for over a decade, and are super easy to find. Crud, they're pretty easy and cheap to find with 4.56 gears and a detroit. I don't know the probabilities, but if I were you, I would look for a less-abused axle.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
bigdude said:

The widest 14 bolts are 67".
\

BS if they are! I have one under an '85 Chevy C350 (dual rear wheel) and it's 74.5" wide. Single rear wheel pickup 14 bolts are 67.5", but the duallys are wider. Dual wheel cab and chassis are narrower than the SRW at 63.5". I have one of them under my CJ. Van 14 bolts are 70.5".

Everyone seems to think that there are only two widths of 14 bolts. One being the c&c at 63.5" and the single rear wheel pickup at 67.5". There are several versions and the only things that the dually pickup and cab & chassis share are the center section and hubs.

Brakes can also be different amont 14 bolts. Some applications have 11" drums and some have 13".

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
CSP said:

BS if they are!
I stand corrected, didn't know the truck dualies were different from single wheel. A 74" wide rear axle? I can't see anyone running that in a trail rig :eek:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was offered a free Dually 14-bolt from a pickup and when I went to pick it up it turned out to be a D70HD. Not the same as a 14-bolt. It's 74" wide. I grabbed it, but should have left it where I found it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I grabbed it, but should have left it where I found it.

You can always cut the ends off and make some kind of custom axle. Possibly adapt it to a 9" housing to make a FF 9". I don't know how easy that would be but it might work.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
I got mine out of a suburban...I figured it shouldn't of had a hard life at all...they are a dime a dozen I would pass on the tow truck 14 bolt...I believe the only difference between SRW and DRW is the hubs...I think the axle shafts are the same...I'm sure I will be proven wrong though:D:D:D

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Supergper said:
I believe the only difference between SRW and DRW is the hubs...I think the axle shafts are the same...I'm sure I will be proven wrong though:D:D:D
That depends on if it's a DRW pickup or a DRW cab and chassis. As I mentioned earlier a DRW pickup is significantly wider than a DRW cab & chassis, 7" worth of wider. The DRW c&c uses the same housing width and axle shafts as the SRW pickup.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
CSP said:

That depends on if it's a DRW pickup or a DRW cab and chassis. As I mentioned earlier a DRW pickup is significantly wider than a DRW cab & chassis, 7" worth of wider. The DRW c&c uses the same housing width and axle shafts as the SRW pickup.
Not the ones that I have stuck a tape measure too...they have all been about 63" C&C or just a duallie. I have a 63" one in my Scout.:)

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Like I said, I own one and it's in the pickup right now. Look at a cab and chassis truck and notice that the outside edge of the rear tires does not stick out much past the sides of the cab. Now take a look at a dually pickup and you'll see why they have the extended fenders on the bed. Much wider.

My CJ has the C&C version and it is indeed ~63" wide. I've also compared the axle shafts of the two to make sure that I was measuring correctly. The dually shafts were much longer on each side.

Another difference is the spring pads. The pickups have the springs mounted outboard of the frame and the C&C trucks have the springs mounted directly under the frame. The distance between spring pads on a pickup will be wider than the C&C.

Really, I'm not pulling this stuff out of my ass.:flipoff2:

·
33,755 Posts
tuckster said:
what kind of tow truck has a 10 bolt front?
A 3/4 ton 4x4 wrecker. A buddy of mine pulled a 14b and 10b out of a 3/4 ton wrecker. Got the whole truck, SM465, NP205, 14b, 10b for $600. All went into his CJ, now going onto a YJ. He's had no problems what-so-ever.

His Stuff

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
CSP is right, there are 3 different types of 14 bolts with varying widths. The cab & chassis version is 63" wide and has the same axle shafts as the srw version which is 67" wide. The c&c and the dually have the same hubs, but the dually is much wider and uses different shafts then either the c&c or the srw (74"). The c&c and dually also have the same hubs as dually eaton's.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I use a Dually, Cab & Chassis 14 bolt, 63" wide from a '90 GMC Tow Truck with original HD housing(ribbed) and extra thick tubes which are rated @ 1.5 tons.
It was straight and in perfect condition when I bought it. Put a detriot, gears and disc brakes, and have run hard for 3years now with no problems.

BTW: one more 14 bolt (#4) is the new ones found in the big block and diesel GM trucks, 11.5" ring gear and factory disc brakes with an E-brake on the caliper. I have one on my Duramax,,,,,,,,,,,,But I wouldn't think you'll find one at a pick & pull.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts