Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was putting a rebuilt th350 and new TC in last night and realized that there was something wrong when I was using too much force to tighten the bell housing bolts to suck it together. I got it all together and the tranny wouldn't spin free cause the TC snout was stuck in the end of the crank and wouldn't turn to line up for the 3 bolts. Feels like the snout is a press fit now and I can't even pry them apart. I do have the tranny 3-4" back from the motor and can see the entire TC and its completely stuck. There is a brass looking bushing in the end of the crank, is this for an old clutch set up? I did get the motor used. :shaking:

edit.

I did some more searching. Did I mess up my pump at all??? Is there a way to tell before I get any farther into the whole mess? Anyhting else I should look at?

·
Registered
187 Posts
why did you not pay attention when you were installing it. Always check and double check when doing something like that.

·
Registered
824 Posts
why did you not pay attention when you were installing it. Always check and double check when doing something like that.
your an idiot:shaking:

there shouldnt be anything brass looking on the motor side. just a flex plate and thats it. as far as checking the pump the only real way to check would be to inspect the pump housing cover (behind the TC) and check for cracks or damage. then if you feel up to it pull the cover and check the drive shaft..

and make sure you fill the TC with ATF before you reinstall it!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any ideas on how I can get the stuck TC off the crank? looks like the snub is stuck in the whole some how?

·
Registered
458 Posts
any ideas on how I can get the stuck TC off the crank? looks like the snub is stuck in the whole some how?
Use a pry bar, and for $19 I would get a new flex plate because you will be bending that one if it is really stuck. I can't see that you messed up the trans pump unless it wasn't installed on the trans correctly.

The brass/bronze piece should be an old pilot bearing that was left in the crank. Which is fine to leave in there. Are you sure that you have the right converter for your application?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just realized I didn't have it seated the entire way in and cranked down the bell housing bolts. I had it about 1/4 - 1/2" inside the bell housing. I got it apart and it seated all the way in about an inch.

Could i have fucked the pump for good now by just cranking the bell housing bolts down?

·
Registered
99 Posts
you probably have a flywheel instead of a flex plate. Was the trans already mated to the engine before the rebuild or is this first time the trans and engine have been mated together. you also might have not have got the tc lined up with the pump splines. did you turn it and feel the splines on the pump and input shaft drop into place.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
you probably have a flywheel instead of a flex plate. Was the trans already mated to the engine before the rebuild or is this first time the trans and engine have been mated together. you also might have not have got the tc lined up with the pump splines. did you turn it and feel the splines on the pump and input shaft drop into place.
did you even read before posting???? if not read just above your post

Yes you definately could have messed up the pump.... You have a couple choices.... try it and see or have the pump checked......
judging by your question I'm guessing that pulling and replacing the pump assembly is too much for you so you'd have to take it to a shop. If you run it and there are broken peices then you take the risk of doing more damage to your trans.
This is a hard lesson that we all must learn and sadly most learn it the same way you did.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
your an idiot:shaking:

there shouldnt be anything brass looking on the motor side. just a flex plate and thats it. as far as checking the pump the only real way to check would be to inspect the pump housing cover (behind the TC) and check for cracks or damage. then if you feel up to it pull the cover and check the drive shaft..

and make sure you fill the TC with ATF before you reinstall it!
what do you mean, hes an idiot? an idiot in your eyes, maybe, but not in mine. He said exactly what needed to be said, correctly, too.

Most of us learn good judgement by making mistakes. making mistakes comes from bad judgement. He isnt any more an idiot than you are. at least he was honest enough to tell the guy that he should have paid attention.

If you fuck something up, take the credit, and then fix it. then move on. Ive seen a lot of people fuck up transmissions by not seating the converter on the pump lugs properly. Ive done it myself. once. after that, I take the fuckin time to check to see whether or not the converter turns freely as i install the trans. Not only just at the end, but the whole way in. you might have something happen, go to sleep under the truck, or have the dog bite you, and forget where you were in the process.... like heaven forbid the phone ring.

Check, and doublecheck, or pay the bill.

Edit: oh, and dont worry about the converter being full of fluid when you install it. its attached to a pump. and that pump does fill the converter with fluid. just put about a half pint in it.

and for the record, Ive never seen a driveshaft INSIDE a transmission. maybe an input shaft, output shaft, intermediate shaft, or some other, but never a driveshaft.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
and the brass looking bushing is a pilot bushing from a manual trans. Im not sure if it needs to be removed or not. I would take it out though since your running an auto.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I did manage to get the brass bushing out with a home made slide hammer. I looked inside the front of the pump and the 2 drive lugs for the pump are in good shape and everything spins freely. Is there anything else I can check without pulling the tranny apart? I think I did tweek my flexplate while prying the TC off. So I will pick one up at the junk yard on Tues.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Well, I did manage to get the brass bushing out with a home made slide hammer. I looked inside the front of the pump and the 2 drive lugs for the pump are in good shape and everything spins freely. Is there anything else I can check without pulling the tranny apart? I think I did tweek my flexplate while prying the TC off. So I will pick one up at the junk yard on Tues.
to ensure proper pump engagement, spin the converter as you install it in the trans. It should seat after 3 specific drops, or steps in engagement.
1. input shaft
2.pump stator
3.pump

final installation depth in the trans will be about 1 inch or more from the face of the bellhousing.

For future info:
if you are trying to remove the brass bushing, you can use a large bolt and some grease. insert the grease in the back of the crankshaft, and then use the tightfitting bolt to drive the grease in with a hammer. the hydraulic force provided will drive the bushing out.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
you MAY not always have 3 distinct drops... I have actually had one converter (out of more than 100) go all the way in in one shot.... of course I didn't believe it so I pulled it and did it again..... 3 drops that time.
don't get a flex plate at the boneyard.... they're like $20 new.... cheap peice of mind. ... make sure to clean threads and use red locktight on the converter bolts

·
Registered
656 Posts
don't get a flex plate at the boneyard.... they're like $20 new.... cheap peice of mind. ...
I totally agree. I busted a case once installing one that wasn't completely engaged on the last step of the input. I really lucked up cause when I pulled the thing apart the supposed rebuild job with low miles was botched(band tension had not been properly set) and the band was chunked badly. So i actually saved myself from finding out after I had installed everything that my trans would slip like hell.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the replies. I will skip the used flex plate and pick up a new one.

Any other simple things to look at on the tranny end of it? OR just bolt it all back up and take er for a spin?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Grumpy has it correct, 3 distinct drops. Afterwards the bellhousing should mate completely with back of engine with no force with TC about 1/4 inch gap( I think this guy crushed the pump). If he tries to run it and it sounds like he has a supercharger or straight cut cam gears(a whining sound) then he crushed the pump. BTW did the same thing 26 yrs ago and crushed the pump and also broke an ear off the bellhousing where the bolt goes through.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts