Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a working Warn X8000i from a buddy w/ new cable and all new leads. Just needed a winch motor bolt drilled out and painting IMO. Anyways after painting I was reassembling it tonight and noticed this little hole leading into the solenoid housing. It's cast into the piece so it wasn't put there by somebody else.

I would think you wouldn't want water getting to the solenoids. Am I wrong?

Oh did I mention I only paid $200 for it :D

Top View

Bottom View

Zoomed out

·
Registered
9 Posts
only the XP, TI and SI winches are waterproof but only the the motor, brake and gearbox! the solenoid packs ain't but i fined if ya cover the solenoids and terminals in white grease or chain lube stops the corrosion.
Ian

·
Trail Tampon
6,028 Posts
is there any harm in closing those weep holes up??? for that matter, could you seal the whole thing up and make it waterproof?

heat???

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there any harm in closing those weep holes up??? for that matter, could you seal the whole thing up and make it waterproof?

heat???
Yeah this was my thought. What would happen if I just seal these holes up?

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Yeah this was my thought. What would happen if I just seal these holes up?
No, The air in there with small amounts of arcing becomes a corrosive acid when mixed with moisture. Moisture will get in there. Not sure how big a deal it would be on your winch, but its true of the Magnetos on aircraft. Had a discussion on that yesterday.
________
LIVE SEX

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
IIRC the only water proof winches are Hyrdo winches.

THe electrics need to be vented.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IIRC the only water proof winches are Hyrdo winches.

THe electrics need to be vented.
Well I guess I won't plug the holes then. So are the solenoids waterproof incase you submerge the winch?

·
Registered
700 Posts
the ti models arent that waterproof ive got one that the solinoids are fubared from corrosion.
X2. I take mine apart once every 6 months to drain the water, regrease it, and clean it up inside. Ya they're waterproof...they hold the water in:flipoff2:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
plugging the drains will certainly hold the water in with your electrics.
if that is what you think is a good idear then seal it up

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Most likely, if you try to seal them up, some water will still get in and it will have a hard time every drying out and cause even more problems.

·
Registered
424 Posts
At EJS this year, my friends' Warn winch stopped working. In checking out things, the brushes had corroded to the holders. Cleaned them up and it is now good as new.

Easy to do. Just pull the side cover and the brushes are right there. Not a bad PM type of thing, especially if the winch has been in water.

·
Registered
43 Posts
X2. I take mine apart once every 6 months to drain the water, regrease it, and clean it up inside. Ya they're waterproof...they hold the water in:flipoff2:
That is the "Proper maintenance" every winch should recieve.

Even the TI series winches are not "Waterproof", but Water Resistant. There is a difference. Our guys up here in AK have proven that over and over on the 9.5Ti.

Water won't hurt any of it unless you let it sit and marinate in it for months. Service is the key:)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is the "Proper maintenance" every winch should recieve.

Even the TI series winches are not "Waterproof", but Water Resistant. There is a difference. Our guys up here in AK have proven that over and over on the 9.5Ti.

Water won't hurt any of it unless you let it sit and marinate in it for months. Service is the key:)
Thanks, good to know. I was going to silicon the top cover when i reinstalled it but I guess I won't worry with it for easy maintance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts