Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but i live in oklahoma. whats the best way to get there and im not asking highway directions.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Fork out the bucks and race in the Baja Challenge http://www.wideopenbaja.com/index.html
or try to rent a car from some incredibly trusting person and race in sportsman. Whatever you do you can figure on spending a bare minimum 10K (guess) to race.

·
Registered
29 Posts
UMM ya if you can do it for 10k do it..........If you had a fully prepped car and spares ..you would be hard pressed to get it done for 10k.

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am able to build something, along the lines of the new jeep speed 3 rules, but i would need a place to bring it when finished so i could fly out later, race it, fly home and come and get it later. i have job issues

·
Registered
254 Posts
Finding a place to store it temporarily is the least of your troubles. The expenses and logistics are the toughest to overcome.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
If your serious about racing. First build the JS# then peeps will probably lend a hand. Not Being a negative person. But there are about a milloin peeps that want to race But it is the one guy that takes the LEEP and gets it done.

The offroading world out here is very friendly and helpfull when your ready to take the next step.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Having a car is only the tip of the iceberg. Having something to pre-run with (let alone the time to pre-run) is also a big part. Oh yeah, having spares, and enough friends who will to take the time and spend the money to travel to Baja to help pre-run and race is also a big part. Get these guy who just raced to post up a list of spares, gas cans, wheels, and how many people it took to do the event and a rough cost for a reality check.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I volunteered this last year with team 1702. This gave me a great opportunity to fully understand the logistics and expenses related. The above comments that having the car is only a small part of racing is true! You need to have a pre-runner and most importantly spend the time to pre-run the course. I would recommend that you write or e-mail some teams and pit/chase for them next year if you are serious before dropping cash. I would guess that it costs close to a minimum of $20K to run a Jeepspeed in the Baja 1000. This does not include your race car, pre-run car or money spend pre-running.

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
GoodTimes said:
Running BFG's makes it all possible. For the great tire, and the incredible pit support. Don't even consider running another tire.
Keep in mind that you must run an entire year on BFG's before you qualify for BFG Baja pit support (unless you're Ron Stobaugh :flipoff2: )

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
i live in arizona not far from the bisbee/naco port of entery to mexico i want to enter my kx500 next november if you want i can split some of the cost with you like running a piolit vehical and maybe storing your car for a little bit i dont know if i,ll have the money but every body tells me it is worth every penny get ahold of me in like 9 months. just knowning somebody else will be there to make sure you make it back would be cool

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Lance said:
Keep in mind that you must run an entire year on BFG's before you qualify for BFG Baja pit support (unless you're Ron Stobaugh :flipoff2: )
So rookies don't get pit support?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Lance said:

What does that mean?:confused:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Buy a bike and just donate it to one of the locals right when you cross the finish line.

Score has a 125cc class, you can get those pretty cheap as well.

Well, how bad do you want to race?

JW

·
Registered
26 Posts
My advice is to join a well organized team and be willing to do whatever they ask you to do...make sandwiches, pick up race fuel, push the car thru contigency, etc.

I learned a lot more by joining a team and helping them out with their car than I would have if I tried to do on my own with my own team/car.

Also, my very first race in my Jeepspeed was the Baja 500 and that was a bad idea. No matter what you drive, start out in a smaller series like MDR or MORE and get the bugs worked out of the car and get used to driving it. IMO it is almost a waste of money to try to race the 1000 without experience, especially if your goal is to finish it.

Chris

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
i own a 2 stroke kx 500 must my stories about scars start with kick starting the bike. i own 2 k5blazers also but i dont have the $$$ to make them baja worthy

·
Super Moderator
17,783 Posts
chris_amrein said:
Also, my very first race in my Jeepspeed was the Baja 500 and that was a bad idea. No matter what you drive, start out in a smaller series like MDR or MORE and get the bugs worked out of the car and get used to driving it. IMO it is almost a waste of money to try to race the 1000 without experience, especially if your goal is to finish it.

Chris
Unless you're cool like us. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts