Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need a welder as i only have small two 110 lincoln welders that are just good for small junk (procore 100, 115-it was free). Okay so i need a big one to weld big junk like 3/16, 1/4" and so on...
I went to the local welding supply shop and they are running a sale on all the welders at the moment. I am considering the Miller 180 and the Miller 212. But am leaning to the 180...

They have the 180 at $780 and the 212 at $1500. I am a beginner welder as i barely know what im doing. I mean i have made some crap like driveshafts and stuff with my little lincoln 100 that have held up fine. But i need to make some brackets and all kind of stuff for my jeep and want a big welder. Any input???

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,947 Posts
search dood. :flipoff2:

Eleventy billion threads on "what welder should I buy"

I also wanted a Miller 212, but didn't have the $$$$$.

Suggested alternatives:

Refurbed Hobart 187 from toolking $519
Hobart Handler 210 $850 cyberweld.com

I ended up with the HH210. Very happy. Small and powerful. Duty cycle is lower than the Miller, but it's not like I am welding 8 hours a day with it.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Get the 180. I know guys who were talked into spending the bucks on a 212 or better and never run it past anything the 180 can do. If you're doing mostly stuff 1/4" and under, you'll be good to go. And the very few times you need to go thicker it's no problem with a bevel and multi-pass.

We've got a 180 (actually a Miller Challenger 172) that's been in heavy daily use for a good 5-6 years with zero problems.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Personally I would pick the MM212 over the MM180. Mostly only on the extra max power availible on the MM212. (My choice would be the MM252 but thats most likely out of your price catagory) I would rather have the extra power availible especially if you ever want to add a spoolgun for alum. The MM180 will be maxed out to run alum on the spoolgun. The MM212 also has a longer gun, thats sometimes a big advantage reaching some spots.

I have used the MM180 and it's a nice machine. Compact and easy to move and store. It's the minimum machine I would ever look at.

It's most likely going to come down to money and what you really plan to build. The more power availible the more versitile the machine will be and the less likely you will be to out grow it. I can also see a point where it might be better to get the smaller mig and invest in another piece of equipment, say a ac/dc stick for heavier steel, plasma cutter or what ever. If you consider adding the spoolgun for alum in the future, get the bigger machine, the bigger the better. Alum needs a lot of heat to run well.

Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
okay, yeah with 1/4" and up i bevel the plate ends anyway... So the 180 should be good to go then. Alrite hopefully it will be all that i need! I really dont see me ever using it on anything bigger than 1/4". And i was also looking into saving up for a plasma if i can find a good deal on one. The 180 has an auto set feature that you just select the size of material and wire size and weld.... Is this a good thing or bad??

·
Registered
136 Posts
I owned a 175 which is now the 180.and am considering in buying another being's i sold my last one.it is a great welder and did everything i needed.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
search dood. :flipoff2:

Eleventy billion threads on "what welder should I buy"

I also wanted a Miller 212, but didn't have the $$$$$.

Suggested alternatives:

Refurbed Hobart 187 from toolking $519
Hobart Handler 210 $850 cyberweld.com

I ended up with the HH210. Very happy. Small and powerful. Duty cycle is lower than the Miller, but it's not like I am welding 8 hours a day with it.
I also ended up with the HH210. I've been very happy with it so far and haven't come anywhere near maxing it out on anything I've built for my truck. The HH210 wouldn't be my first choice of welders for production welding, but for the average hobby welder and/or light industrial use I think it is just fine.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Auto set

Having been a welder for 30 plus years.

Those auto set welders scare me, There are to many variables in welding to trust to a machine.

The differences in nice new clean steel compared to a 20 year old dirty rusted steel in a truck frame.

The presets are all set with nice new steel.

thats my 2 cents

·
Registered
754 Posts
I like my Miller DVI, it runs on 15 amp 110V or on 220V. It makes it way more portable. It is many times easier to bring the welder to welding. I have run it from a high quality 100ft 110v cord no problem. You just can't weld as thick on 110V.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ordered a new HH187 through Sears on May 1st and received a 20% discount for ordering online. Shipped to the house for under $560. Now I just have wire the garage for a 220v outlet. I considered the 210 but hopefully I won't "need" to upgrade and the 187 will be all I will ever need.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Having been a welder for 30 plus years.

Those auto set welders scare me, There are to many variables in welding to trust to a machine.

The differences in nice new clean steel compared to a 20 year old dirty rusted steel in a truck frame.

The presets are all set with nice new steel.

thats my 2 cents
you don't need to use the auto set feature.. it can be set manualy if prefered.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I realize now that you dont have to use the auto set feature, you can turn it on and off to manually choose power and wire speed. I bought the miller 180 today and got it home and am starting to put it together and change my 220 receptacle, putting together an extension cord for it. I had a big 220 cord in the garage already just have to change the ends... Hopefully i can play with it this weekend! So can anyone school me on wire size choice and thickness of metal to weld?? I have .030 now and it seems that .035 is needed to weld 3/16" and up???

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Ok, I've been looking at these welders also and I'm a little confused...

The 175, 180, and 187 are all the basically the same welder right? The higher numbers just mean they are newer right?

I was looking on toolking for a refurb'd 187, but only saw 180's. Is there a difference in the two?

I'm probably being a retard here, but I'm confused as hell...

Chris

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
i love my miller 180 especially after i went through 2 lincoln in a week...im a miller guy for life...

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well thanks on the wire size info. I got everything wired up and used it today and it just straight up kicks ass!! I love it. Best 780 dollars i ever spent!! I can actually make stuff now!! Next up is a plasma cutter. A cheap one tho. Was reading about the GIANTTECH plasma cutters in the for sale section..... $400 could use it till it poops out at least..

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Ok, I've been looking at these welders also and I'm a little confused...

The 175, 180, and 187 are all the basically the same welder right? The higher numbers just mean they are newer right?

I was looking on toolking for a refurb'd 187, but only saw 180's. Is there a difference in the two?

I'm probably being a retard here, but I'm confused as hell...

Chris
HH187 is a much better welder than the HH180. 7 voltage taps vs. 4 and MUCH better quality arc. Keep looking at toolking. They'll get more refurbs.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I like my 180, I see no need for a larger welder for the fab most of us do. You can also get the 180 with a spool gun and a bottle; and still be cheaper than the 212. I've had no issues using the spoolmate 100 for small alu projects, and I've also used a 252 with a 30A spoolgun for larger projects.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts