Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just find it so hard to believe that the rcv axel for the dana 44 is unbreakable i want to hear from some people that are running it to hear what they say. i have a stock dana 60 that needs to be built but my 44 already has arb in it and i want to use the 60 in a tube buggie project. i am running my 44 in a toyota 4 runner with dual cases and 4 cyl i dont think that i NEED to but a 60 in there i am hoping to make the 44 stay together. if anybody responds o this please send me a pm thank you

·
Registered
18,301 Posts
Nothing is unbreakable.

With that being said Ive got two buddies running them in Jeeps. They are both just shy of 5K pounds, one with 35's and one with 38's. The guy with the 38's breaks everything and those shafts have never flinched. Seems like a good company also, lots of support, overnighting stuff if an issue comes up,, etc...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm runnig a set in my D60 with 44's and a blown big block. (5400 lbs)
They are not indistructable, I did twist one of the outers and one c/v started making noise. But sent them in got some new stuff.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Just get the tried & true CTMs. Like what was previously said...nothing is unbreakable. But, I would (and do) rather go the CTM route vs. the rcv route. I hear about broken CTMs a lot less than I hear about broken/clicking rcvs. FWIT, I have been beating a D44 with CTMs on 37" stickies in my geap for years and they have held up great. I run Superior Evolution (made in the USA :smokin:) inners and won't use anything else.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Dont personally know anyone running rcvs but I have been running the same set of chromos in my 44 for about 7 years, originally under a big block bronco on 38s and now under a ranger with a 5.0 and same 38s.
I am by no means easy on it and I finally broke a stub this fall ( u joint snapped and just slightly wallowed the ears out) I cant even imagine breaking a good quality chromo shaft in a 4cyl yota.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Just get the tried & true CTMs. Like what was previously said...nothing is unbreakable. But, I would (and do) rather go the CTM route vs. the rcv route. I hear about broken CTMs a lot less than I hear about broken/clicking rcvs. FWIT, I have been beating a D44 with CTMs on 37" stickies in my geap for years and they have held up great. I run Superior Evolution (made in the USA :smokin:) inners and won't use anything else.
Broken ctm on 36's in a d44

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I run RCVs in my 44 with 39.5s with a 383 chevy and use every bit of it. I had 1 cv start clicking last year and sent it back to tighten it up,I know nothing is unbreakable but know if I do break it that RCV will take care of it. Since it is a cv if it breaks it won't take out a balljoint like what can happen with a u-joint

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
I have broken quite warn shafts and CTM's. I went to the RCV's and other than having the inner shaft become uncoupled from the bell due to circlip problem and only having a 1/2" off shaft engagement which resulted in spinning the little button off at the end of the shaft I have not had any trouble.

I did break a hp44 ring and pinion though!

This has been over 3 years both crawling and racing on the east coast with 300hp and 37" stickies.

But you still have to realize when things are bound up and stop nothing is unbreakable!

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Dont personally know anyone running rcvs but I have been running the same set of chromos in my 44 for about 7 years, originally under a big block bronco on 38s and now under a ranger with a 5.0 and same 38s.
I am by no means easy on it and I finally broke a stub this fall ( u joint snapped and just slightly wallowed the ears out) I cant even imagine breaking a good quality chromo shaft in a 4cyl yota.
Is really depends how you drive and what condition's and how hard you push, some people just wont take no for a answer. I have broken 60 parts under my toy on 40's with a 4cyl. Everything break's eventually...

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Geoff - didn't Frank break one? What happened to his?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Is really depends how you drive and what condition's and how hard you push, some people just wont take no for a answer. I have broken 60 parts under my toy on 40's with a 4cyl. Everything break's eventually...
Yea, ALL of my friends tell my I am VERY LUCKY, lol I dont believe in lifting. The stub I messed up when the u joint broke last fall was due to a bad locking hub (locking and unlocking constantly while on the gas) At the time I didnt see it as an issue and it made the truck much easier to turn so I left it alone lol. But after using front dig around probably 10 or 15 tight turns on the rev limiter with the hub popping the u joint had enough lol.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Running RCV's with 35's. In a 30 spline dana 30. Not what so ever afraid of the skinny pedal. Have yet to have any issues at all. Buddy is running them with 38's. had a couple start making noise, sent them in, no questions asked, sent him new stuff. Biggest advantage I have, is I don't let up when I crank on the wheel, and no hopping, or binding.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,639 Posts
If you're going to build for the future and the future will hold any kind of abuse, build the D60 so you'll have the stronger gears and locker.

·
Registered
294 Posts
RCV's are still a relatively new brand/product so talk about failures and successes are much more talked about right now over traditional ujoint setups. There are many advantages to the RCV's and with their great warranty and customer service people don't hesitate to abuse them. Not only will the joint not try to drive out the ball joints on a falure like a ujoint will, but the bell will actually help hold the knuckle on the c if a ball joint itself were to wear out. Ive been beating on my rcv's (27 spline d30 outers) with a v8 and 37's for 2 years now, I'm sold.

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
I run them in my TJ, 27 spline hp30 with 35 krawlers and the 4.0. I'll soon have a granny low and ability to front dig to further test their strength. I never worry about a shaft, only gear sets. A crane cover, truss, and cryo treat of the gears should solve that.

Another guy in my club runs them on 33s in a rubi 44 and puts them through the same about of abuse. He's had his at least 2 years and I've had mine about 1 year. Both of us don't break very often if at all :D

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Frank did break an inner shaft but it was a strange situation where the joint completely locked up. I did not see the joint but RCV made it right, things happen and both Frank and I abuse them pretty good. And prior to RCV's we couldn't get through a single trip let alone most of the summer:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts