Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently building my '88 4runner up and would like to do everything I can to not be hassled by the law here in Utah, so I need COMPLETE tire coverage. The only flares I've seen that approach total coverage for 37X12.5 tires with a 3" wider than stock front axle are the flares they have in Iceland/Norway/Sweden/etc. Is there a place I can order these in the states? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I would try my hand at making something removeable. Those guys are rolling in snow without a lot of rocks and trees to rip their flares off. If you want so badly to be legal, why not make something yourself that you can pull off when you go offroad?

Just my $0.05 (adjusted for inflation).

Sorry it doesn't directly answer your question.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
The Bushwhacker cutout flares are 4" wider than stock. They covered my 33x15.50 Swampers on 10"/2.5" b/s wheels, 3" wider front axle:

I did get rid of the flares when I wore the Swampers out a few years back. Will be going with a flexible rubber flare to give about 3" coverage which should take care of my 35x12.50s.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea of removeable flares, but I can't seem to figure out a decent way of making some that look even halfway decent. I was considering making some out of sheet metal in the back when I tubbed my rear fenderwells. Not sure how that would work out. I guess I'll see. Thanks for the ideas, guys.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm ready to come back there (UT) and get my truck registered again. I'm making mine out of the rubber/vinyl baseboard material found in your local Home Depot flooring section and just held on with a couple of screws for easy and quick removal and or installation.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but wondering if there are any new flare/fender options out there for the rear of 4Runners (prefer 3rd gen).

Any of those iceland fender companies shipping overseas?

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Not sure if you could make them fit very well, since they are made for Jeeps (and those generally have small wheel wells) but there is a company locally that makes some cool flares..out of thick fiberglass. I have a pair here at our store that look pretty cool, just not sure how well they could be modified.

Although, they only extend a little over 2'' on each side (but I think they look better then the Bushwhacker ones)

www.icelandoffroad.com

·
Registered
876 Posts
No pics right now..but

This is what I did.

Ghetto Fender Flares:

12ft Landscape vinyl edging
used small bolt/nut to bolt a right angle bracket on the vinyl
screwed bracket to fender
used 3 mount points

The landscape edging has T on "buried" end, it tucks up to the fender nicely. Will flex to your fender cutout.

Gives you cheap/removable/legal fender flares for about $10.

Doesn't really look that bad..I'll look for some pics to post.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm looking for something that would cover some body damage as well as cover the tire width.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I asked a friend for you guys on the snow truck fenders, about $2000 USD starting. Not worth it in my opinion, you could buy something cool like an underdrive or some good tires.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I asked a friend for you guys on the snow truck fenders, about $2000 USD starting. Not worth it in my opinion, you could buy something cool like an underdrive or some good tires.
2G's is a bit much. Any other options? Anyone ever use flared fenders from an xj or grand?
I have some body work to cover up and have been meaning to do a better flare anyway.

·
Registered
435 Posts
great Scott what the hell happened!
My garage caught fire. Runner was outside, but still got toasted. Hatch was up at the time and fire got inside too. Not fun; only mementos and replaceable stuff destroyed family got out AOK.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I dont think this will help you hide any body work. But inreguards to legality. I used the baseball bat trick to make my 82 Toy legal and gain 3" of coverage.

ye old baseball bat rolled under fender can give you a natural flaired fender look....if done right. Of course if your crawling you prolly dont care about looks and it will prolly get dented up anyways, BUT you can get about 3 inches out of it maybe 4.

The build your own fender flairs is a good sugestion aswell. Home-Depot should have everything you need for reasonibly priced. All you really need is some elbow grease and some imagination vrs $100s and mail order time. :smokin:

EDIT: Im gonna head down to home-depot here in a week or so and see about making a 3rd gen set for fun. Ill post pics here when I'm done.

·
Registered
110 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts