Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Window Licker
14,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CL Ad. He says it's a 101 but I'm pretty sure the little 6" 101 doesn't have a quick change.

I'm thinking it's an earlier 12x36. I found other pictures online of the exact same one, but no clear description of the model.

This is one of those CL ads that I dread talking to the seller just based on the wording of the ad. Trying to figure out exactly what he has since he doesn't seem to know. :shaking:

If it's really a 12", the price is fair enough and I've been looking for another old lathe to start tinkering with again...I sold me last one before I moved a few years ago. Fuck trying to move one of those things across the country.

Attachments

·
blatant asshole
11,751 Posts
That chuck is way to big and way to far from the bed to be a 6".

Mabey he means 6" chuck and that how you measure a lathe?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Lathes are measured by how much they'll swing over the bed...

Material wise.

So if you could chuck up a 12'' diameter pc it would be a 12" lathe despite the CL of the spindle being 6" from the ways.

Some of this is nominal meaning some 12" lathes might swing 13" .

Looks like a 12" craftsman to me.

·
Window Licker
14,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like mine, 90% sure mine is 12x36
Weird. All the pictures that came up when I googled the 101 were smaller 6" machines without the quick change.

That chuck is way to big and way to far from the bed to be a 6".

Mabey he means 6" chuck and that how you measure a lathe?
That's what I was thinking. Probably has no idea what he's selling. I wanted to have a clue before/if I go look at it.

Lathes are measured by how much they'll swing over the bed...

Material wise.

So if you could chuck up a 12'' diameter pc it would be a 12" lathe despite the CL of the spindle being 6" from the ways.

Some of this is nominal meaning some 12" lathes might swing 13" .

Looks like a 12" craftsman to me.
I was fairly certain, but potato pictures can be deceiving on CL. :lauging:

brewchief's pic above confirms it.

·
Window Licker
14,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
He's got it on CL for $800 and I'm sure I could get it for $6-700, which is fairly decent for this area, unless it's totally beat.

I've got my eye on another Southbend that comes with several chucks, tooling and a milling attachment that I can probably get for ~$1500, which I'm leaning toward since it wouldn't be hard to spend that extra $700 to pick up those extras. I've seen the milling attachment go for $4-500 alone on ebay.

Lathes an mills must be gold plated around here. I'd been watching an auction company's site all week - they were selling off a machine & grinding shop and had a nice little 10x24 south bend that I thought was going to sell cheap. In the last few hours before it closed, it jumped up to $3250.

This is what sells for $3250 around here:

I've had my eyes open for a decen Bridgeport too, but even clapped out old mills from the 20's go for several grand.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Lathes an mills must be gold plated around here. I'd been watching an auction company's site all week - they were selling off a machine & grinding shop and had a nice little 10x24 south bend that I thought was going to sell cheap. In the last few hours before it closed, it jumped up to $3250.

I've had my eyes open for a decen Bridgeport too, but even clapped out old mills from the 20's go for several grand.
Yeah, I've been looking in the Triangle area too. Same thing. We don't have enough machining industry to have places upgrading their equipment and jettisoning the old. Midwest or North East would have a better chance.

·
Window Licker
14,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I've been looking in the Triangle area too. Same thing. We don't have enough machining industry to have places upgrading their equipment and jettisoning the old. Midwest or North East would have a better chance.
Yep. I've missed a couple deals on CL, including one that was almost in my back yard. I guess that's good if I get something and want to upgrade or get rid of it, I know it'll sell fast.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Yep. I've missed a couple deals on CL, including one that was almost in my back yard. I guess that's good if I get something and want to upgrade or get rid of it, I know it'll sell fast.
Keep me in mind. I'll need one at some point. ;)

·
Window Licker
14,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep me in mind. I'll need one at some point. ;)
If you want something in the 14" x 8' range, I know of a hell of a deal down near Charlotte. I've been e-mailing the guy and I really want to go figure out how to load it and drag it home, but everything is telling me a don't need a 4,700lb lathe in my garage right now.

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
If you want something in the 14" x 8' range, I know of a hell of a deal down near Charlotte. I've been e-mailing the guy and I really want to go figure out how to load it and drag it home, but everything is telling me a don't need a 4,700lb lathe in my garage right now.
I think everything is wrong. If you have the space for a 14x8, you need to buy it :grinpimp:

·
Window Licker
14,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think everything is wrong. If you have the space for a 14x8, you need to buy it :grinpimp:
Oh, I have space for it.

But I also think I may be moving again in the next ~2 years and I sure as fuck don't want to have to move a lathe that big.

That, and I the seller has no way to load it so I'd have to rig something up with jacks, rollers and my trailer winch to get it on my trailer....and then something similarly unsafe to get it in to the shop. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

Looks like that Craftsman sold yesterday. :( I still have my eye on a Southbend 9x36 that's probably a better deal and should be fine for what I want to tinker with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts