Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this T-18 with a Dana 20 along with a 1995 XJ 4.0 motor for one of my XJs. Only info seller had was it was out of a J truck. I have gleaned enough info, especially from JeepTec.com , to hope it's the wide ratio with the 6:32:1 granny 1st, which would give a decent crawl ratio with the attached Dana 20.
"Later 70s FSJs with V8 engines use a 5" aluminum adapter and a AMC T-15 bell housing..... and the wide ratio T-18 from 1976-1979."
Have not found the casting # 13 01 007 902 anywhere
I've not measured the OL" it's too long for a soft top but it looks like it could be made to work in a XJ.
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Vehicle

Automotive tire Water Gas Engineering Sculpture

·
blatant asshole
13,105 Posts
Looks more like a scout/ih than jeep.

They had bonkers long input shafts

But the tcase shifter looks right

·
P.B.A.
4,559 Posts
Put in first transfercase in high. Spin input count output to see what ratio.

I agree with newb. I remember scout ones being more plentiful when I was looking for one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put in first transfercase in high. Spin input count output to see what ratio.
Good tip ROD I got 6.3 turns on input for one on output. It’s what I hoped for, wide ratio.

I don’t want to be the Fing F..k n00b that contradicts senior members on my first post but it’s a wide ratio out of a full size V8 late 70’s Jeep according to info on here, ifsja.org, jeeptec.com, and novak. This one has AMC bell and 5” aluminum spacer. Input stick out is 13.5”. Before some one say’s why the F did you ask then; my question I was asking was how to id a wide ratio so thanks for the tip.

Quote from JeepTec.com
  • Later 70s FSJs with V8 engines use a 5" aluminum adapter and a AMC T-15 bell housing. There are pictures of this version below.
  • A picture of a wide ratio T-18 from a J-10 pickup with the 360 V8. The Dana 20 is still attached. The spacer measures approximately 5" long.
Automotive tire Engineering Event Machine Plant

A thread here on pirate confirms its FSJ. I tried to post to one of those old threads but the system warned me not to revive an old thread.
(flamesuit on)

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can swap the input from a wide ratio Cj5 t-18 to shorten it up and use a t-176 bell housing. You just have to relocate the crank sensor to the balancer if you’re running the 4.0. I’m not sure what year Cj t-18 it was though. I did 4-5 of them a while ago when a bunch of j trucks were showing up in junk yards in my area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts