Pirate 4x4 banner

821 - 840 of 1059 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Nope, sorry. Way too much going on already. :homer:

Pretty well grounded in the non-winter months for the next few years to get my folks' new place together, as well as a few remodel projects at my own place.

Windows, complete dry in, insulation, and perhaps siding this year at my folks' new place.

Also, with any luck we will have the truck together for our annual family camping trip. Have many littles (nieces and nephews) to keep track of.... :)

are you going to uodate the build on your folks place here?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #824 (Edited)
Its officially out of the shop and ready to go to sandblaster/painter.
Im so excited to have a break from welding. :eek:

Does this qualify as a BDL?

Final frame weight is in the 650# range. Ill have to roll it across the scales now, then without the bed to confirm.

So Im on track for weight.

And some details of the uber-simple somewhat getto adjustable hinged door for the stairs. latch will come later. Most likely a simple spring pin/bolt latch.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Don't think that's a ghetto hinge. Pretty neat actually, haven't seen that before.

What latch are you going to use? What type of paint are you looking at for the frame?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #826 (Edited)
A simple spring bolt latch will do it.

Ive used them in the past for compartment door latches, inverted so just the handle is exposed.

Stupid simple and clean enough.

Paint is whatever the painter is using. I didnt get specifics, but it is an industrial 2-part epoxy primer + 2-part industrial top coat. The shop routinely does heavy equipment, and is well known for doing very good work.

That paint job will simply seal up the steel. The visible frame, and all aluminum skins, once finished up will be top coated with U-Pol Raptor Liner.

Once done it should be a lifetime bed. At least thats what Im telling myself :eek:

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Love it. $3 or $4 a latch is perfect for something that doesn't need to be sealed from the elements.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #830
Not much to report, but I did get the bed back from the painter.
And he did a top notch job, and loaded it down with paint at my request.
All finished, it was blasted, epoxy primed, and received 3 solid coats of top coat.

I told him to do it right, and just bill me. He certainly did, but the extra coin will be worth it in the long run Im sure. Nice candy coating on the steel now.

Also have been pulling various items together to start assembly.

SEM seam sealer for all the steel seams that were not fully welded.
SEM panel bond for the critical (structural) panel installation
SEM gun for both

Sika 252 for the remainder of the aluminum panels

Upol Acid #8 for priming the aluminum
And finally, a 4-pack of Upol Raptor liner.

I figure Ill need more than 4 jugs, but its a start to see just how far the stuff goes. Always difficult to judge.

Paint has had a few days to dry, so Ive already started the sand/prep for seam sealer. Load of hand sanding....

Also have to pick up all the aluminum Ill need. The fit-out will be a combination of thickness' and flat or diamond tread.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #831
I might actually get this bed out of the shop :eek:

Ive been slaving away, hand sanding this thing in preparation for the U-Pol Raptor liner coating.

And have the cross body box skinned.

Had a bit of a hickup with the skins, as the solvent based panel adhesive I chose decided to not cooperate with the paint the painter used.
I had planned on just panel adhesive, but due to the error the skins for the cross body box were riveted on. I was hoping to eliminate any and all aluminum to steel contact for corrosion reasons... but it just didnt happen that way. Oh well.

Anyhow...

Completely prepped for Raptor.
Epoxy seam sealer to all joints, Aluminum primed 3/ acid etc primer.
Entire thing was sanded w/ 180 grit then de-greased with grease and wax remover.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #832
And on to Raptor.

Tell you what... the over-spray on plastic is STICKY :laughing:

Stuff went on real well, but I spent more time unsticking my boots from the plastic than anything!

Some teaser pics... So far, Im real impressed with this stuff.

Also, 4 jugs didnt quite do it. I had enough to do 2 coats on the forward portion of the bed (enough to reinstall the bed on the truck) but I will need some more to get a solid second coat on the rear.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Nice results. I picked up 4 kits of raptor liner when amazon had them for $20 a kit a while back. Haven't used it yet but looking forward to getting to that point in my truck project.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #836
Another teaser shot.
Been crazy busy. Ill update with some proper photos later.

Certainly starting to look the part though.

All aluminum panels installed, lighting in, and currently working on final wiring and fuel fillers. :smokin:

Dont mind the unpainted/lighter portion of the box. An aluminum bang-board is to be installed there.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
what about your parents house, was that a different thread??

821 - 840 of 1059 Posts