Pirate 4x4 banner

921 - 940 of 1058 Posts

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I feel like 3/4" CDX with hardwoods glued on top will take out any give that the sub-floor has, but I guess not.

EDIT: unrelated, but your camper build thread inspired me to build my own from scratch to fit my ford. Keep it up man, thanks for sharing your projects.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #922
Cool beans. Good luck with the build!

Also for clarification, I will not be installing hardwood on top of the subfloor.

Glue down LVT is being installed. :)

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #923
Alright... just another side tangent...

Tao Tao DBX1 140CC china bike

feel free to shoot me already :eek:

But I'm seriously considering one of these for our "exploration" bike.

I'm in the market for a sub 200# dirt bike.

One that goes with on full time with the camper.

Lightweight, cheap, great for scouting ahead, exploring around, or quick trips into town when camped.

Currently have a Lifan125 swapped custom CT90, that has done fantastic. Id like a bit more power, and off road capability. Did I mention brakes?

I've considered swapping in a larger engine and better forks, etc. But the overall cost would far exceed the cost of a new DBX1

I can make it street legal very easy here in Idaho.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not sure about that particular bike, but I would definitely go with a more rugged off-road dirt bike vs the vintage style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,261 Posts
Alright... just another side tangent...

Tao Tao DBX1 140CC china bike

feel free to shoot me already :eek:

But I'm seriously considering one of these for our "exploration" bike.

I'm in the market for a sub 200# dirt bike.

One that goes with on full time with the camper.

Lightweight, cheap, great for scouting ahead, exploring around, or quick trips into town when camped.

Currently have a Lifan125 swapped custom CT90, that has done fantastic. Id like a bit more power, and off road capability. Did I mention brakes?

I've considered swapping in a larger engine and better forks, etc. But the overall cost would far exceed the cost of a new DBX1

I can make it street legal very easy here in Idaho.

Thoughts?

No idea what your budget is but the pitster pro bikes are top quality for the money. Or go straight to an oset and rig it up to solar charge on the camper

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #926
The quality for many of these chinese brands has certainly improved to the point of impressive.

I rolled the dice a bit doing the Lifan swap on the CT90, and more than 3k miles later Im nothing short of impressed.

Ive run the numbers for an all electric bike, but it simply isnt for us.

Short range
Long recharge times
ridiculous cost
Additional loads for our fairly small solar array
And the goal posts keep moving...

I can hardly see the point of spending big $$ on a bike, only to find one twice as good, for less money just a few years down the road.

Eventually I may go electric, but for now a cheap chinese gas bike might very well do us good.

I like the looks of the Pister Pro bikes, but the added cost is hard to ignore.
They seem to have all the same (small) problems of other chinese bikes.

The TaoTao 140cc bike is less than a thousand bucks.
The cheap cost also makes it a bit more expendable.

We often leave the bike at one trailhead, and the camper at another on backpacking trips.
It reduces the amount of backtracking on a trail, and opens up many, many more ways to plan a trip.

Id hate to leave a spendy bike unattended for a week or more at a trailhead.
So the cheaper the better :)

·
Premium Member
14,261 Posts
What about a couple late 90s early 2000s xr100s. Should be $800 or so each and will probably outlast you and your camper

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #928 (Edited)
Ive tried to make some, ANY Honda or Yamaha fit the bill, but they just dont.
An XR100 weighs just as much, or more than the 140CC china bike.

And the XR100 is simply too small. The DBX1 is the larges "pit bike" ive seen.
It fits adults, with a 35" seat height.

My only other consideration right now is a stripped, and I mean stripped down XR200/250

But Im still not getting anywhere near 200# wet.

Something along these lines would be super cool...
Buit by the time I buy the bike, freshen it up and modify it, its more than 2x the cost of the 140CC china bike. And sill probably 50+ lbs heavier :eek:

Would be pimp though. I like this look :smokin:

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #930
I do have the little CL175 for sale currently though, with the option for a part-trade for a lightweight dual sport. XT200/225, XR200/250, etc...

If that happens, I might just have to build a custom, lightweight dual sport.
I only have so much time though, and I have plenty of projects on the back burner already! :eek:

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #931
Need to be street legal? My kx250f is 212lbs iirc

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
It does, but that's never an issue here in Idaho :laughing:

Quick google search puts it in at more like 230lbs. Never do see Kawa's on CL up here. Loads and loads of hondas and yamahas though...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
It does, but that's never an issue here in Idaho :laughing:

Quick google search puts it in at more like 230lbs. Never do see Kawa's on CL up here. Loads and loads of hondas and yamahas though...
Kawi says 204lbs for my year (2007) later efi may have added weight.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #934
Kawi says 204lbs for my year (2007) later efi may have added weight.

Yeah, and in my experience so far researching potential bikes, the listed weight is often up for debate. Sometimes its dry weight, sometimes its wet. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Beautiful pics man, your in some nice areas for sure lol. On the bike thing a buddy of mine had one of the the newer XT225 Yamaha's and loved it, I even rode on it few times @300lb and it was fun little bike.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Yeah, and in my experience so far researching potential bikes, the listed weight is often up for debate. Sometimes its dry weight, sometimes its wet. :rolleyes:
Oh for sure. And I'm sure it's dry lol

We bought a scale and weigh many bikes. Manufacturers weight are always way lighter than actual. I would bet that KX weighs 250 ready to ride.

Im pretty well decided on the chinese Tao Tao DBX1

Just waiting for someone to convince me of a better alternative :eek:
Lightest bike we've weighed is xr200 236. Ready to ride. You can go crazy trying to lighten these. I doubt the Chinese is much lighter, but I could be wrong. I would do the xr though. The heaviest portions are the motor, swing arm and wheels. Motor you can't lighten. you can build a chromo swingarm and get trials wheels and lighten it up.

Oh and we need videos of dancing!:smokin:

921 - 940 of 1058 Posts