Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this. I put on new long travel springs and am about to rework my front shock mounts. It looks like I'll end up with about 4.5" of the shock rod showing with the vehicle sitting (14" travel shock). What is considered ideal for Toy trucks? And yes, I'll have appropriately placed bump stops after all this is done.

thanks

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
That is about right, but you have to flex it up to see how your suspension moves and place it accordingly. All trucks slightly different.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
There is no such thing as "ideal shock length at static ride height".

You measure for max compression and extension, install the correct matching shock, and it rides wherever it rides...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, you're a lot of help. OK, I shouldn't have used the word ideal. How much rod length do you guys (with Toyota trucks) have showing?

;)

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i think you are missing the point. there are alot of variables like: how you intend to use the truck, how you want to handle, spring rate, total travel, shock rebound/compression....blah blah blah there is no standard answer to your question because what is ideal for on setup will not be ideal for another. it takes experimintation and testing on your part to make your truck work the way you want it to. you probally need to start off by reading what diffrent setups do and how they handle before you figure out how you want to build your.

the ideal # you are looking for is dependant on to many factors to even guess due to the lack of complete info from you.

or you could just weld on a mount that is a 50/50 setup and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
About 5" or so. But once again dont go off of our measurements. throw it up in the air see where you droop to and check the compression on the oter side. See where you are at and tack your mount up.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
jackup your truck til the spring goes flat on the bumpstops(assuming you have them already mounted where the spring just goes flat) , mount the shock with an inch or so showing left on the rod....now youve got all the droop left available in the travel of the shock...

i used a highlift jack upside down and bolted down to compress my suspension till the bumpstop was smooshed, then noted that postion, added an inch like i said and mines worked good ever since...

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Do what booger said.

I just went with the "60% in the can at ride" rule... and got to cut the shock mounts off, flex the rig, and wled them on all over again. Do that the first time. :shaking:

·
Registered
726 Posts
TOY REAR +3 bottom wrangler leafgs too + 2 rear toy- tops=soft.

14" TRAVEL SHOCKS TOO set on #5 rears on #4

1980's area F-250 Shock brackets = bottom of frame to bottom of ford shock bracket bottom .

bolt on and then weld brace too then maybe weld em too

just bolt on 1st thow.

= alittle less than a pack of Marlborow 100's at static

use all the rest for awsome droop now. CAN MAX OUT ON DROOP.

BUT PLEASE DONT FORGET THE BUMPSTOPS,:D

·
Registered
726 Posts
1badPOS said:
Quit being lazy, flex it up with no shocks and do a little

measuring. :rolleyes:
Scott

come to think about it thats what you should do you lazy dude.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
If your feeling lazy like me. Drive over to the local lumber yard. Give the kid operating the forklift $10 bucks or a six pack to lift you truck one corner at a time and measure. Measure twice and weld once. I was lazy and ended up cutting the things off and starting over at the lumber yard.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
FOR GODS SAKE ITS A FLIPPIN SHOCK!!!!!!!

Flex the fawkin thing, measure, then build accordingly..

This aint rocket science for gods sake...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts