Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
starting my second build up of my 4 door trooper with hopefully the help of you guys here. lets get some ideas going. fenders, cages, suspension, ride height, track width,wheelbase, weight, etc. i hope everyone has something to add.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
ok cool.........................so what are you thinking.

what's the base rig you have to start with? still the grey LT-1 87 you used to have?

obviously since you are east coast i would say full width....1 ton minimum

i like the 60/14 bolt combo...............obviously since that is waht i built :p

V-8 powered for sure

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i want i low and wide. i already have a 14blt and looking for a 60 front, any suggestions? what year is your 14blt, mine doesnt have the cooling vents like yours but i guess i cant complain for only $80. it is the same trooper. i still have a cooling issue but getting rid of the inner fenders might help. i think i would like to completely chop the top. i already have a full cage to work of off. i need to get a digital camera as well to help with visuals. what are your thoughts on a coil sprung rear? and what are you going to do with the rear feners of your RS? oh man so many ?'s

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'll jump in on this one... The route I'm going wont be fullwidth due to narrow trails, and the fact that I'd rather spend the $ on a t-case doubler than a d60 right now. Heres the low down. D44 front, alloys and probably CTM's, I'm going to keep the Zu rear axle for now 'til I break it... I'm using the rear springs up front, then doing a wishbone type rear susp. with TJ coils and a trac bar that uses 3/4 ton TRE's. I'm using a Rubicon Express large flex joint for the center link, and 2x3 1/4" wall tube for the "Y". The only problem I'm going to run into is trying to keep the front low... I think I'm going to run the shackles through the frame like Toy's do to keep the height down. I'd like to net a total of maybe 8" over stock at most, but hopefully lower. For drivetrain, a chev 283/sm465/203/205 is getting dumped in(just need to get the doubler made now), and I think with the d44/corp 12bolt I'm going to stick with 38" SX's and thats even pushing it. Now for the body. I'm going to chop the rear section off right behind the rear door pillar, and make the back into a minibox... like this but keep the lower half of the rear doors so they act as a tailgate.

Next will come the exo similar to the cage on DRM 90's green runner.

I think that'll be enough to keep me happy for a while. I'm lucky I have alot of talented friends and a few connections thanks to my business to speed up the process... I think trying to get it done by may is a stetch but thats what I'm aiming for...

Thats my idea of a somewhat streetable roll-it-on-its-head-and-drive-it-home Trooper except the axles. I think I'm taking a real gamble with not going 1ton, but its a matter of money so:flipoff2: ;)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Grampa - For the price of alloys and ctm's you could probably have a dana 60...just something to think about.

Jyurs - I'm not too far from you and I would love to do some wrenchin or help out in any way I can. I don't have a rig right now, so all I got is ideas :D

oh yeah, got a camera too :flipoff2:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Grampa - For the price of alloys and ctm's you could probably have a dana 60...just something to think about.
D60's are a rare bird up here now, at least the SW ones. They average ~$1500 for used, and that usually means needs bearings and seals etc... I got my 44 for $75, with a steering box, drag link, tierod etc, so by the time its got a locker, new gears, warn alloys ang CTM's I'm still ahead of the game.;) If I had found a $500 D60(like I always hear about but never see:rolleyes: ) then I'd have gone that route.... oh well... I almost considered going with a Toy axle w/spacers and run some Smurfields or Longs... Now thats a cheap axle....

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
i want i low and wide. i already have a 14blt and looking for a 60 front, any suggestions? what year is your 14blt, mine doesnt have the cooling vents like yours but i guess i cant complain for only $80. it is the same trooper. i still have a cooling issue but getting rid of the inner fenders might help. i think i would like to completely chop the top. i already have a full cage to work of off. i need to get a digital camera as well to help with visuals. what are your thoughts on a coil sprung rear? and what are you going to do with the rear feners of your RS? oh man so many ?'s

on your rig.......as i remember....IT HAS BEEN A LONG time...........

take out the body lift ..........numero uno :flipoff2:

to do that.......cut out the trans tunnel fron the firewall back and make that motor fit in ther correctly.

run full width 60/14 combo...................if you need a 60 PM me i can get you a compete single wheel one under 1K.

cooling...well the final solution it to mount the radiator in the bach, using a radiator that is sized to the motor not the the constraints of the sheetmetal. then run a push fan on one side and a pull on the other if needed...................

i like the simplicity and predictability of leaves...but i have thought about and researched a triangulated 4 link rear. would be sweet on a trooper.

chop off the top.............windshield included and ditch all the glass.

i may chop mine off behind the frnt seats as well and tube the rest......then "skin" the fenders back on......i guess it just depends on the next tire i get. currently the clearance is cool.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
here's a direction i like.this is a guys rig from the Cruiser forum...forget his screen name

Attachments

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
here's a more mild "chop top" inspirational pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I hear taurus fans are good. there was a huge thread on them a few months back. search should get you to it easily.

As for ideas, well I always thought that choppin everything off and using a CJ/YJ/TJ/FJ fold down windshield would be cool. And maybe chopping the tops of the doors and leaving the lower halves, at least the backdoors. the fronts you could leave half, chop like the toyota guys do, or get tube.

Are you going to be using this truck for anything but trails? if you're gonna drive on the street you might want to factor that into your chopping decision. It's gonna be cold for a while now. If that dont bother you, get a piece of canvas for when it rains and call it good :D

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
paulevans76 said:
I hear taurus fans are good. there was a huge thread on them a few months back. search should get you to it easily.

As for ideas, well I always thought that choppin everything off and using a CJ/YJ/TJ/FJ fold down windshield would be cool. And maybe chopping the tops of the doors and leaving the lower halves, at least the backdoors. the fronts you could leave half, chop like the toyota guys do, or get tube.

I did a lot of research on the folding windshield idea for my Trooper last year. I can find and forward my notes to you if you on want to try it. I think it would not be that hard. Especially if your going topless.

JYRUS, Have you seen "AIR Trooper" pictures? Robert cut the top off his 86 turbo diesel Trooper and I built his cage for it. I like the way a 1st gen Trooper looks Topless. I plan to do my 86-2 door one of these days. With the folding windshield and spare on the hood. I even have a spare set of doors to experiment with on the project.

I'm wondering if a four door would look right topless. Maybe if the door frames were left on. Like the Big Hummers. You would definitly have to tie the "B" pillar to the cage before your cut off all the top. Otherwise the door alignment would be off with every bump. I'm sure there's a way to make it look right.

Grandpa, the blue truck in the picture you posted...What truck is that? I have been trying to convince the wife her "89" four door Trooper would look good like that. It looks like a CHevy puckup but I can't tell. My Eyes won't focus right.

But, It doesn't look like I'll be wrenching anytime soon.
Still waiting for my eyesight to return to normal. That's why my typing sucks! HAving ten thumbs has nothing to do with it.

I like the Topless idea but I lived in Goldsboro NC while growing up and remember it got cold there. Canvas?? Gonna get frooooossssssty!!!!

Gotta quit and rest my eyeball.

SSSRodeo

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thats my buddy Rob's Runner... He ended up using the rear cab from the same year Toy reg. cab to scab onto the back. I havent seen many (if any) sweeter 2nd gen 4runners yet.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Grandpa, Any way I can get you to give us a link to Rob's Truck pictures. I'd like to see his work a little closer. I like the way it looks. Or maybe just some pictures of the finished effort.

I picked up three new Isuzu Factory sliding pickup rear window a while back for that reason. (good connections) Although I don't think a rear cab clip, off a Pickup will work too well on a Trooper. It would work well on a Rodeo or Amigo. Hint hint. My thoughts were to use the rear cap off the Trooper and fabricate a rear wall panel with the sliding window frame grafted in.

ANyway, I'm hopeing to be able to get back in the shop by Feburary. Convolessing SUCKS BIG TIME!

SSSRodeo

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sssrodeo, got any pics of the "airtrooper"?
and about the doors, i am assuming the "b" pillar is the center pillar where the front and rear doors meet. also, i found a 2 door that runs and in good shape for $400 but no title...should i go that route.?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
jyurs said:
sssrodeo, got any pics of the "airtrooper"?
and about the doors, i am assuming the "b" pillar is the center pillar where the front and rear doors meet. also, i found a 2 door that runs and in good shape for $400 but no title...should i go that route.?
Here's "Air Trooper" before the Dana 44 SAS.

Roberts Photo Albumn
Look near the bottom and you'll see the snorkle I fabricated for him.

Yes the "B" pillar is the post between the front and rear doors.

UHHHHHhhhh? No title! How is North Carolina about that little minor detail? If your talking about a trail only rig then it would be no problem. Only you may want to consider that once you get the top off and the mods done you may want to enjoy a drive to the local Braums or Dairy Quen for ice cream with you sweety just to watch her hair blow in the breeze. A little moonlight and a little swaree on your favorite trail. Know what I mean??????
Topless Troopers are great for that sort of thing.

If you could get a title later, then the price is definitly right....
Here's the latest pictures of Robert "Air Trooper".

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
sssrodeo, post up your info on the foldown windshield. that would be tight. i think i am going the 2 door route if everything checks out on the vin# i will just apply for a lost title. i already have a lot of ideas and since i can do most of the stuff myself with the help of some buddies the cost should stay lower. and i can use the LT-1/700r4/ dual toyo t-cases out of my old trooper. i already have a full set of autometer gauges so could i just gut everything and buy a painless. matt, i know wiring a carb injected isnt as hard as a fuel injected but do you have any tips? on wiring and gauges and such.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
it might just be me, but dual yota cases dont seem like they would hold up well to v8 power. you could sellem and get a 203/205 setup and never have to worry again. the low/low ratio of 4:1 should be plenty with an auto. my 2 pennies only, of course :D

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
paul, ive heard nothing but good things about the yota cases. the 4 cyl models are gear driven and most people say they are stout. i think camo still run them in his rig as do others. there cheap so if i break one i will just buy something else. i just got 2 more FF 14blts today for $100 so cheap stuff is around. as for turnin wrenches that would be cool. i will let you know. and also i have a line on a 2 door 85 for $400. might be what you want. let me know

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
if you want an RS w/ the motor already out......................i got one for you:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

seriously you can get this rig from me to build if you want a "JEEP" sized rig when you are done.

i have a clear title for it and it is pretty rust free.............I'm in Richmond Va now

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts