Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a full length conferr style roof rack that I run on my 73 FJ40 on longer camping trips. I wanted to put this rack on my Cruiser instead of the factory rack, But the rack has gutter mounts so it will not work on the Cruiser.

I was thinking of removing the factory roof rack, copy the squarish foot mounts out of some 1/4" or 1/8" flat stock and make 3 cross bars off of the feet for the rack to sit on. I believe I could continue to use the seals under the factory rack's feet to keep everything waterproof (but I haven't removed the rack to check)

Budget is tight as I am in the process of installing an SM420 and lower gears into a dana 18 t-case for the 40 so I can't just go buy something after-market for the Cruiser.

What are thoughts on making the cross bars sit on the factory feet location? Any better ideas out there?

·
Registered
412 Posts
If the other recomendation does not work( It looks great) I believe you can fabricate some mounting bases to match the stock ones.The seal would work fine ,I have had mine off a couple of times.I am working on fabricating a custom base to match the stock because I want to do a quick release so that I can remmove the rack and lights when I have it at home so that it will fit into the garage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts