Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saved up some money and trying to decide between several different vehicles to do a complete build up on. Plans are for custom suspension, tires anywhere from 35" to 40", basically only for offroad use in a mixture of mud and rocks. This will be a first attempt at anything like this, everything before I've done has been pretty much bolt on or close to it. So far the one's I've found in my area are a 64 Scout (4cyl), 76 Wagoneer, Several CJ5's and 7's, and a few full size(78-86 Broncos and Blazers). Any strong or weak points for reasoning behind the vehicle would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
if you don't need an enclosed cab for weather protection I wouldn't buy any vehicle. I'd just buy some tube and a bender and have at it ... or maybe some 2x3 for the frame rails and the rest tube if you want to take that route.

I say that because whatever vehicle you were to initially buy you'd ditch most everything (engine/axles/tranny/xfer) and get better/stronger/more powerful stuff.

that said if you're planning on needing much weather protection, of the vehicles listed i'd probably buy a 7 because there is so much aftermarket support for them.

- jack

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
i would recomend a 1 ton chevy 4x4 and throw the body out. start with a dana 60/14b/turbo 400or 465/np205, 350 or 454. it is all good stuff, just needs to be smaller. mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts