Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesnt do it all the time. So far, I have only been muddin with it on construction sites. I put it in 4hi(push button 4wd) while Im driving on the street and then turn into the mudding drive ways. When I turn into the mud, it makes a noise that sounds like a small electric motor reving up really high with occasional tick, tick, tick, really fast(Like a human using there tounge to make the noise of a cat puring.)Thats how fast.....
Forgive my EXTREME NOOBISH stupidity, but what is this noise?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would make since because my drivers side Cv is going out.
However, What is the electric motor shrill noise?Same problem? The ticking and the shrill happen at the same time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Because it sheds a negative light on the 4wd community and provides anti-access people with examples of said communtity being irresponsible and not showing respect for other peoples property.

As for your question, does it only make a noise in 4lo or 4hi as well? Make sure there is enough oil in the t-case. Make sure there is no metal shavings in the oil.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K, sorry bout that.
I have only been mudding in 4hi so I dont know if it does it in 4lo. I do know my cv joint is going out if that helps.
Oil in the Tcase was changed about a month ago and there were no shavings in it. Oil isnt an issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
there is a motor to shift the transfer case between hi and low in a push button set up so it may be failing real common in ford rangers possible vaccum shift as well what kinda truck

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
- ok do you stop and put the shifter in neutral, then put in 4x ? or are you pushing the 4x button at 30 mph and turning to go wheelin - the noise is most likely the planets and or the gears trying to engauge as you are moving - the CV axle should give you a clicking sound as you turn, even in 2wd as there are no manual locking hubs on that truck ( aka they spin all the time )

and dont wheel in construction sites - its bad ju ju for the of road community -

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My owners manual says for 4hi, you just push the button while going no faster then 60mph. I have been pressing it at about 10-15mph. 4lo has to be put in nuetral first but I have only used 4hi.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great, Thanks a ton! I have one more question rather then making another thread.
On the front end fo my Jimmy, there are grease fittings for the suspension. One of the bags is busted on one and the other is completely flat and wont allow grease in it. What do you call these things? Also, since my cv joint is going out, would it be a good idea to find a donor vehicle and get both ends for the drivers side? If not, how do you find out which end is bad?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts