Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm back with a valid e-mail and new user name.

Can anyone idenitfy this trans?? Looks like a Toyota R150/151 with a few differences, input shaft has large splines like a cruiser, different tail housing...... dosn't look like any of the 5 speed H series transmissions H55 or H150.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Looks a lot like New venture 3550 5 speed. They have a 1-1/8", 10 spline input shaft that sticks out 7-1/2" and the pilot tip is 3/4" diameter. It has a 23 spline output that is flush with the tailhousing mating surface. The tailhousing would have a 6 bolt pattern.

That looks like what you've got there, but cant see all of it.

Where did yo get it?, doesn't look like any Toyota tranyy I've ever seen.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No no, it's definetly an R series trans. I have a couple of more pics comparing it side by side with an R150F... I can post them later if no one knows.

Local scrap yard had it in the pile.

·
Registered
575 Posts
This help, Brian?

http://www.darksiderz.co.uk/reference/ax15tranny/

From that same website, here's the AX15 ratios:

First gear is 3.83:1, second is 2.33:1, third is 1.44:1, forth is 1.00:1 and fifth gear overdrive range has a ratio of 0.79:1, reverse is 4.22:1.

From ORC.com, heres the R150F ratios:

The R150F 5-Speed manual
1st 3.830, 2nd 2.062, 3rd 1.436, 4th 1.00, 5th 0.838. Reverse: 4.220.

'Cept for 2nd & 5th, same gears.....I think I heard that Aisin makes both these trannies.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
After looking at those AX-15 diagrams, it look a lot more lik eon of them. I do remember hearing that Aisin makes them too. I just don't think it's a Yota tranny with that circular tail housing bolt pattern.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is definetly an AX-15. Hahaha.... A damn Jeep Wrangler uses nearly the exact same R series 5 speed as a Toyota Truck. Who woulda thunk it!

Again though, it does offer some interesting engine/tranny/transfer options.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh so true.... I have nothing against Jeeps, My wife drove a TJ for a couple of years, it was nice and very capable... hardcore folks will be havin' great fun!

Let's start - Oh boy, now I can find a NP231 and buy that tailshaft conversion I've longing for my Toyota to have:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
BAJowett said:
Oh so true.... I have nothing against Jeeps, My wife drove a TJ for a couple of years, it was nice and very capable... hardcore folks will be havin' great fun!

Let's start - Oh boy, now I can find a NP231 and buy that tailshaft conversion I've longing for my Toyota to have:rolleyes:
Hmm, you do know changing the tail housing over to a toy tranny would make a D300 fit perfectly... or an atlas ;)

Hmmmm..... i amaze myself on a daily basis...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
BAJowett said:

Sounds like it might be a great strart start to convert a auto tacoma to manual trans

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
SPEED FREAK said:

Sounds like it might be a great strart start to convert a auto tacoma to manual trans
yepp... other than all you need is the R150/1 since tacoma auto's and manual's use the same t-case that mount's the same way... so you don't need the badass 231 option ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeep used them from the late 80' up to 99, including install in the TJ Wrangler.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts