Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about picking up a 14b I found, probably this weekend. I've searched a bunch here and on CoK5 also, can't find any good pics or descriptions of a gov lok vs an open. The owner *thinks* its an open diff, has a 4.56 ratio(the one I want) and there isn't a tag on the axle. I know the open has four cross pins vs three on the gov, but is it pretty easy to see by looking at it when I pull the cover??

·
Registered
671 Posts
my old farm truck has one in it. the 34x9 swampers on the 75k20 never broke it and i only knew it was there when i needed the traction. i could'nt say the same for the lockright in the D-44 front.

Peace
Jw

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Just spin the wheels or drums, If both spin in the same direction, you have a posi. If they spin in oppisite direction, you have an open diff.
No need to pull the cover.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Robert said:
Just spin the wheels or drums, If both spin in the same direction, you have a posi. If they spin in oppisite direction, you have an open diff.
No need to pull the cover.
Wrong!!!A gov-loc will act like an open till a difference in speed is sensed then bang and clutches grab.You can check by spinning the wheels in the air by hand then they will abruptly stop(if in park or first gear)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts