Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went crawling this past weekend with a buddy from work, has a auto tranny jeep no major mods or anything 33" tires.

I have a 85' Toy 22re 33x13.5r15 interco TSL's tires, Yukon 4.10's spools F/R, Trailgear 4.7 GR, bobbed and some other goodies

Few problems I had was one following and automatic truck in the woods (he likes to stop way to much) but that was easily fixed by keeping distance.

Also when going over large rocks/obstacles my truck would want to just stall out like I was in 2/3rd gear at a redlight. My question is, is there a idle controller you can add on to keep your RPM's at say 1000~, figure this would be VERY helpful as to staying off the skinny pedal so much and leaving the clutch alone.

Something like this
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/orethrottle/index.htm

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
143 Posts
sounds like more problems than it worth, just learn to use your clutch and gas. with the 4.7 kit you should not have a problem. Also easy way to fix your problem of your jeep buddy stopping to often, SMASH HIM. Should only take one good hit and he will get the picture

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
You can use a shifter from a mtn bike as well hooked to the throttle.
The Kewl kid way would be to use a twist grip mounted to the shifter.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
if you want to keep it simple and cheap use the AC idle up valve&solenoid. super simple to hook up. this is all i used for years.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Sounds like you want a hand throttle. It was a factory option on overseas mini trucks. Its what the hole thats to the left of the parking brake handle is for. The other end attaches to the throttle pedal. From the best of my research, the Toyota part # is 78401-89107

My cheap solution (which is what everyone else recommends) is leaving the AC on on tight trails, and raising the idle RPM to around 900. This also causes my truck to get worse fuel economy on the trail than a healthy v8 with a lead foot driver, but its better than staling on every rock.

Someone correct me if In case Im wrong: but I believe a lot of the issue your feeling is because the 22re is batch fire instead of smpfi.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
I'll have to check the A/C deal out too, But yes its kind of a PITA going up something and its wanting to stall out.
Sorry, I forgot to give the pirate-esque answer.

There is a pedal, its to the right of the brake and the clutch. Its called the accelerator. If you push it, it will keep the engine from stalling. Push said accelerator pedal when engine feels like it will stall, and whola! magic, the engine keeps running!

Problem solved. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
local bicycle shop---- handlebar thumb shift lever and cable----- attach to shift lever and run cable to throttle linkage----- "finger throttle control'------- @ 9$

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Pop the hood before a trail run and turn your idle up. Duh... :flipoff2:
My idle is a little high just because of this. It sees trail duty only. It's not a crazy high idle, but it's enough to ease the clutch out to where it'll hold itself, just before I mash the skinny pedal.

It gets annoying when you're sitting in line to go up an obstacle, but I just shut it off.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Pop the hood before a trail run and turn your idle up. Duh... :flipoff2:
Or make a hand throttle if your really not that cawordinated to be able to drive a manual off road and not stall it! that being said i have a hand throttle, just a bike brake lever on the shifter and cable going down to the gas peddle linkage. works great and cheap to build.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Friend of mine used one of those one an Lt1 jeep he had, worked great. Not sure of the brand, but it looked just like that.

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
if you want to keep it simple and cheap use the AC idle up valve&solenoid. super simple to hook up. this is all i used for years.
x4, I have that set up on mine:

If you have working A/C, you could plumb a VSV into the power steering idle up ports (that I have plugged in the image above).

All you do is set the fast idle speed you want w/ the white knob and then hit the A/C button on the dash and up comes the idle. I mainly use it when wheeling up at higher elevations where the idle speed will drop naturally and I find I need a few extra RPMs to keep the power steering boost up and if it is dark, helps with the alternator output for the lights. Also have a hand throttle, but mainly use that for the welder:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/OnBoardWelder/index.shtml#HandThrottleInstallation

The other thing that I found helps a lot with the 22RE at idle is a heavier than stock flywheel. I put one in mine about 13 years ago and it really made a noticeable difference. Before I found the engine wanted to stall out below about 1000RPM and now it'll happily chug along at 500 with a little help, just a blip of the throttle here and there to keep it alive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts