Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 85 4runner the idle screw keeps backing its self out. will it hurt if i were to put lock tight on it or is there air drawn around the screw. how does this thing work, what is the concept behind it??
i read all about in in the hanes manual and searched on here and i did not fing my answer
thanks

·
Registered
820 Posts
There's usually an idle speed screw and an idle mixture screw. If you put loctite on an idle mixture screw, it's possible some could leak down an goo up the holes the fuel comes out of for the idle. The mixture screw adjusts how much fuel comes out of those holes. The speed screw holds the throttle plate open to set the idle speed, putting loctite on this probably would not hurt but I don't know what your carb looks like either. The idle speed screw is usually threaded into a bracket or protrusion from the body and does not have fuel around it.

The object is to get the best idle by adjusting the mixture screw with the speed screw backed out as far as you can. Once the best idle is obtained by adjusting the mixture screw, the idle is set with the speed screw.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.