Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 89 toyota pickup 4wd 5 speed with a 22re.... this truck runs perfect past 2000rpm but before 2000 it wants to be sluggish and it will not idle i have changed fuel injectors plugs plug wires and fuel filter and fuel pump what else could cause this problem... and i have checked vacuum lines could o2 sensor cause this

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
ok so i have a 89 toyota pickup 4wd 5 speed with a 22re.... this truck runs perfect past 2000rpm but before 2000 it wants to be sluggish and it will not idle i have changed fuel injectors plugs plug wires and fuel filter and fuel pump what else could cause this problem... and i have checked vacuum lines could o2 sensor cause this
Why don't you just throw more parts at it?

Is your check engine light on or did you try to pull the codes?

Timing set correctly? Are the valves within adjustment? Good compression?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok my check engine light is on but i dont have the thing to pull the codes. i might drive it to my local autozone and see if they will do it... but i finally got it to idle for a bit without messin with anything and when it was idling it would bounce back and fourth between 1000rpm and 1300 rpm

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
ok my check engine light is on but i dont have the thing to pull the codes. i might drive it to my local autozone and see if they will do it... but i finally got it to idle for a bit without messin with anything and when it was idling it would bounce back and fourth between 1000rpm and 1300 rpm
You don't have one of these tools??

paperclip460.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i have pretty much narrowed it down to 2 things throttle position sensor or knock sensor... but what is a knock sensor and would it make my truck run like crap.. and the neutral start switch circuit do i need that... all the a/c stuff under these codes i can see for mine is disconnected

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have checked most my hoses but i can look again and also i noticed my knock sensor has been unplugged whats it plug into and where

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
i have checked most my hoses but i can look again and also i noticed my knock sensor has been unplugged whats it plug into and where
Both of these (TPS and knock sensor) will make the engine run much different - the knock sensor adjusts the timing to prevent detonation.

The knock sensor is below the oil filter - if you noticed that it's unplugged then I'm not sure what the confusion is about?? :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i didnt know what it was until i got the codes off the truck and now that i know what it is and know that its unplugged i dont know where to plug it in at....

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Just for reference in case anyone finds this with the search, that has a variation on this theme:

We have old 22RE powered rigs shot up at the dealership (usually trade-in's) that won't idle for shit. No codes. The idle speed screw is usually several turns out, often nearly maxed out.

Clean the throttle body.

They run perfect - except that all the sudden they'll be screaming at 2,200rpm and you'll have to crank the idle speed screw back down where the factory set it. Just soak a rag in carb cleaner, hold the butterfly open, and scrub it until all the carbon is gone, and the bore is shiny again. The buildup restricts the size of the passage around the blade at idle, choking off air and dropping your idle speed. So you turn the screw up. This repeats until the truck is really out of whack.

Throttle pedal sticking when you first hit the gas? It'll fix that too.

Ever ridden in a newer 4-banger car with an automatic, that shook really badly when idling at a stoplight in Drive? A GM Ecotec-powered car, a Sentra, or a Corolla or Camry, for instance? Clean the throttle body, and it'll usually pick up 100-150rpm, and take the engine out of the RPM range where it vibrates badly at idle.

We had a new lube tech show up driving a Saturn. When he pulled in on his second day, it shook so badly at idle that I noticed it from outside the car. Scrubbed it for him really quick, and it felt like a Lexus in comparison. He got fired a week later, but at least his car runs better now. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok guys i got it running great now... it still won't idle though and i have tried everything i cleaned my whole throttle body when i took my adjectors off and cleaned them... any other ideals... sorry for the aggervation guys im only 19 and this is my first project i have only been around fourwheelers and this is my first truck project... thanks you guys alot

1 - 15 of 15 Posts