Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I had $ to Burn (Fire Truck Tow/Camper)

The below link is on ebay. Could make one heck of a flat bed on this one, might have to lengthen it in the middle to get the desired flatdeck length.

But hey it has 500HP!

Linky-Link

I have some wierd fetish for Fire Trucks. I really like the cabs on them.
Keep thinking one day, I will buy one and mount a fifth wheel camper on the back of it. And use it as a camper/tow rig.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I have been considering retired fire trucks as a tow rig for about a year now.

I have looked more at the hose and tank trucks though, most of them have the 4 door cabs with plenty of room for the family, and a long enough bed I could cut the bed off and build a flat tray for it like a rollback bed.

Keep in mind you *may* need a CDL to drive one of those things, so pay careful attention to stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Thats pretty cool!

Alot cheaper than I thought something like that would be. I like how it has that low rider airport look to it.

My buddy the fireman says that they as drivers are "exempt" from the CDL because each station has their own tests that they go thru. I asked if I could ever drive one of their trucks and he said i'd need a CDL.

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
unimogken said:

My buddy the fireman says that they as drivers are "exempt" from the CDL because each station has their own tests that they go thru. I asked if I could ever drive one of their trucks and he said i'd need a CDL.
Back in MN, you don't need ANY drivers license to drive a fire truck. It sure seems strange to me, but thats the way the laws were setup.

Allthough, for civilian use, you would probably need a class B, with tanker and air brake endorments.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I want to get an old usfs engine and use that, but I have since found that it is aprently illegal for them to be sold to the public. What a shame. I think it would nice, just legthen the frama bit to put an 8' flatbed on it, and there you go. Nice strong 6x6 2 ton crewcab. :)
-John

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Here is what *I* want:

pull off the bed (it is a 14' utility) and replace it with a 14' tray or rollback bed. Crew cab seating for 4, room for one on the back, and you could still add a bumper pull trailer behind that.

·
Premium Member
25,817 Posts
Holy shit. :eek: That's CHEAP. Why is that one on E-bay selling for $10,000? We have a place about 50 miles from here that builds them. A firetruck like that goes for over $400,000. :confused:

I mean, it's only got 14279 miles on it! :eek:

·
Premium Member
108,048 Posts
MattS said:
Holy shit. :eek: That's CHEAP. Why is that one on E-bay selling for $10,000? We have a place about 50 miles from here that builds them. A firetruck like that goes for over $400,000. :confused:

I mean, it's only got 14279 miles on it! :eek:
Ladder's fawked on it.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
what kind of mileage you thing you could expect out of that thing? Once It was stripped to the frame with a nice alu. flatbed put on it?

Top speed?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
DRM said:
Here is what *I* want:

pull off the bed (it is a 14' utility) and replace it with a 14' tray or rollback bed. Crew cab seating for 4, room for one on the back, and you could still add a bumper pull trailer behind that.
I had a 17' rollback wrecker on a UD chassis. I'd go for something longer, but it would work OK for a single off-road vehicle. The 'wrecker' stinger might be kind of nice to have also........

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
MattS said:

Sure, just the end. But that doesn't make the whole thing a POS. I think they are hiding something IMHO.
I remember the local FD guys commenting "about 7 years" is good for the life of a firetruck! Even with the aluminum bodies they still have lots of RUST issues on the frame due to soot & water.

Ladder truck looks clean, but damn... 1978... 25 year old chassis.

Tom :usa:

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Also watch for insurance issues. My provider wouldn't cover anything (Firetruck, F-700 etc.) carrying another vehicle for private use. They were willing to cover for business use, but you can guess the cost.

Oddly, no such issues with a trailer.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
roundrocktom said:
I remember the local FD guys commenting "about 7 years" is good for the life of a firetruck! Even with the aluminum bodies they still have lots of RUST issues on the frame due to soot & water.

Ladder truck looks clean, but damn... 1978... 25 year old chassis.

Tom :usa:
Maybe for a truck that sees 3 structure fires a day, most 90% of the FD's in the nation don't.

My last dept had a 1970 pumper tanker, a 1974 tanker, and a 1989 engine that were still in service.. The '89 went to every call, and the '70 went to most of them.

Even though they are serviced very well, and are kept ready, I think the engines go through hell.. from the moment they are started, they are either WFO, or idling for prolonged periods of time.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I thought if you regestured somthing as a motor home you didnt need a CDL.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts