1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) HD60FF (35 spline)
2) 14FF
3) D80FF

This is for running 39.5" bias-ply Iroks, going on an XJ with a 4.0 HO pushing it, with around 5.13 gearing or so.

I've got any of these three axles at my disposal right now for this buildup...which one would you choose, and why?

I realize that the 14FF and D80 are obviously stronger, and would probably withstand full-throttle assaults all day without flinching. I guess I'm asking if it would be worth sacrificing the ground clearance and weight to run one of those larger axles.

Thoughts? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
35 spline 60 shafts are the same size as 14b shafts (and larger root diameter at the splines) and you're not going to break the gears in either, so go for the ground clearance of the 60.

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim84K10 said:
Given the same price, 60.

In reality, 14 bolt is much cheaper.
In reality, I have all 3 lined up in a big stack of axles, at my friend's junkyard, that I can have any one of them that I want. It wouldn't cost me any more to obtain the HD60 drum-to-drum, the only cost would be the difference in aftermarket stuff for them.

I'm workin for it, but that'll appear in the Ford forum in the next day or so.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I also had those choices when I bought mine....I picked the 60, mostly due to the weight and GC issues (it also matched ratios lower than the 14B) even though the other two are definitely stronger. My 60 probably cost a few hundred more to build by the time I got 35 spline shafts (mine was an HD big bore 60 so 35 spliners fit without having to bore).

I've *heard* there are some rare vans that had 35 spline in a FF 60. Never have seen one though. The only 35 spline I've actually seen in a rear 60 were SF axles.

Sean

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Do the 60's mon.............don't look back :smokin:

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
is it a 35 or 37 spline 80?

Personaly I'd do 14 bolt, even that 60 really is a 35 spline..

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would be real skeptical about that 35 spline 60, there super rare and harder to find than a hp60 front. Pull a shaft to be sure and if it is indeed 35 spline that info will eliminate the others.

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sean said:
I've *heard* there are some rare vans that had 35 spline in a FF 60. Never have seen one though. The only 35 spline I've actually seen in a rear 60 were SF axles.
This particular axle is out of a big-ass Ford van, if that helps. Like an old E350 or something.

I'll see if I can pull a shaft on it today and confirm that.

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
I just scrapped a 23 spline Dana 70 out of a big ass Ford van a few weeks ago. I wouldn't exactly say a van is a good place to find hardcore parts.

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I know. Which is why I'm gonna pull out a shaft today and see what it really is, before I put any time or money into it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
vetteboy79 said:
Yeah, I know. Which is why I'm gonna pull out a shaft today and see what it really is, before I put any time or money into it.
...or you before you ask us to make a decision about which is going to be "better."

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts
I've never seen a 60 HD that had a 35spline shaft stock. While the spindle is 1.600 the shafts have all been 30 spline.

I'd still go with the 60 though. Just my preference

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Tim84K10 said:
I just scrapped a 23 spline Dana 70 out of a big ass Ford van a few weeks ago. I wouldn't exactly say a van is a good place to find hardcore parts.

And what's the difference between a 1 ton van axle and a 1 ton truck axle (other than added width) that makes it less "hardcore"?

Sean

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
hbar314 said:
How often do you see a van on the trail and think "man that shit is hardcore, yo".
That has nothing to do with the axles on the van. The reason you don't see them on the trail is probably because they are too top heavy, yo... :shaking:

I am also curious as to what makes a van d60 different from a truck d60

1 - 20 of 84 Posts