Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just starting this as a fun, what would you do type of thread, but I'm also looking for ideas for a low budget trail rig, since my Jeep is nearing the end of it's life.

Anyway, I have my Jeep as a donor vehicle for parts or to be parted out (once closer to completion). I'll still wheel it until it's either broken beyond repair or the buggy is nearing completion.

I have stockpiled quite a few parts over the past year or so, including a few HP d44 fronts, a d60 rear, a waggy passenger drop d44 front, a GM d44 8-lug front, etc....along with all of the useable parts from my current Jeep.

Basically, I was thinking about a 105" wheelbase (full homebuilt tube chassis), leaf spring rear, radius arm front, 2-seater buggy, with a CJ hood & grill. Axles would be hp d44 front w/ 8 lug pattern & fulltime drive slugs (no lock in/out hubs), & a Lockrite, and a spooled d60 rear. I'd just gear them as low as I could find a combo that matched the d60 & d44. Put it on 38x12.50-16.50 TSL's on H1 beadlocks. The main reason for considering this combination is that I already have it all, and the only real expense would be gears, lockers & alloy shafts (for the d44).

Now, the direction that I'm unsure of is engine, transmission, t-case. I have a good 4.0, 3 spd auto & NP231 in my Jeep. I also have access to a 22RE toyota w/ all electronics (complete truck for $300) or possibly a 2.3 Ford (Mustang engine w/ a C4 auto).

If I use the 4.0 from my Jeep, then I'm stuck parting out the Jeep, instead of trying to sell it outright. Other than engine, trans, t-case, the seats, steering column, pedals, electroncs, and winch is about all I'd use from the Jeep. I could probably sell the tires, wheels, cage, axles (locked 4.11 8.8 & hp d30), etc.

This is just brainstorming the possibilities. How would you build it?

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
I'd sell the pile of D44 fronts and invest that money in a D60. No need for $$$$ alloy shafts just to back it off the trailer like you would need with a 44. I ran around for 2 1/2 seasons on stock shafts with a locker before breaking the stock 30 spl outers last summer. Upgraded to Yukon outers and slugs, just broke a stock inner this weekend because a u-joint cap walked out. I'll probably put another stock inner in it.

Ditch the radius arms, too much jacking on climbs. Use a 3-link/panhard or a triangulated 4 link if you have the space. Keep the rear on leaves with a good traction bar to get you going, save your lunch money for more link ends and tube because you will want to link the rear eventually.

You could use the 4.0/3 spd/NP231 but that would be a long combo and the 4.0 is pretty heavy. Lighter is always better. Sell that combo and get a V8/auto trans/D300. Much shorter and lighter, and more power. Use that C4 and find a 302, they are everywhere. D300 you can adapt to get going and improve as you go (gears, outputs)

You'll have an easier time parting out the Jeep, and probably get more $ than selling it whole given today's market. You will also be able to re-use a bunch of parts like pedals, wiring, ect - this stuff adds up quick when building a buggy.

Post a pic of your jeep so we can get a better idea of what you're working with.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
-2000 ish 5.3L and auto trans and a used atlas-4k
-60 and 14 bolt- 1500 ready to run
-H1 beadlocks and used 40's-1200
-used air shocks- 800
-material-1500-2000
-brakes- 500
-misc.- 1500 including link joints

pretty strong and capable rig for 10k

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Post a pic of your jeep so we can get a better idea of what you're working with.

Current Jeep specs:
1991 YJ
-8.8 rear w/ 4.11's & Lockright.
-hp d30 front w/ Detroit EZ-Locker & 297's.
- 4.0, 3spd auto, NP231 w/ AA SYE.
-2 1/2" springs, 5/8" boomerang shackles & 3" body lift :eek: (was on it when I got Jeep & unfortunately, it's needed for my CJ radiator to clear the steering box).
-MORE 1" Bombproof MML
-custome tranni crossmember & flat skid.
-35x13.50 claws on 8" wheels.

I've tied a set of Corbeau seats into the cage w/ 5 point harnesses. I've got a few more custom things, but can't remember right off hand.

All in all, it's done well for me, but I'm just at a point where I can put just a little more work into building a buggy than doing what I want to the Jeep.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, I also have a CJ7 tub (only good part is from firewall to dash) with dash, pedals, etc., hood, and grill that I could use w/out pulling from the existing Jeep.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Mine started out as a 400.00 POS toyota, I hacked off all the body and scrapped it, sold the motor tranny and axles, up graded with the profits from said drivetrain sale to a 5.7, turbo 400, NP208, 14 bolt rear, 10 bolt front, So far, my rig is about 75% complete, and I have actually made money on the deal, enough to cover the cost to build it and put back a couple hundred, beyond what i have budgeted for my build.

Now I am looking for either a D60 front, or might even just step up and throw some coing on some rocks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts