Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im mounting my ifs box tomarrow and i had a few quick questions...i've opt'd to reenforce both sides of the frame and just built the bolt hole above the frame into that so its one piece on each side..what thickness of steel do you guys think i should use? 1/4 inch? thats about ti, just wondering what your guys .02 is on it...thanks

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
i'm using 3/8" on the outside rail and 1/4" on the inside and the bolt holes are sleaved with 3/4"x .125 wall dom. over kill? probably.

edit: the inside plate goes from the front x-member to the motor mount and has a couple holes for roset welds.

Attachments

·
Cranky Moderator
7,366 Posts
Sneak Preview of Product review: Front Range Offroad's Kit

Some Pics of mounting an IFS box on my 85 using the Front Range Off Road Crossover Steering Frame Brace

Only change I made was upgrading all the included bolts and nylocks from grade 5 to 8. Very sweet kit for $59!!!

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
yea, good deal for $3 worth of steel ;)

Can't go wrong with having it all cut though - that is the way to do it with a full plate on both sides. Many companies sell some pretty crappy "IFS box mount kits"

old tech article: www.pirate4x4.com/tech/cross/Cross.html

It's pretty easy to make really, scrap pipe and some flat steel. Just put the two lower holes in the middle of the frame parallel and slide the box till the pitman just barely clears the frame. Mark the frame holding the box up then get a piece of carboard for a template. 1/4" should be plenty, I used 3/8" because it is what I had..

·
Banned
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks a bunch guys...im doin the front xmember too so it'll probably take longer than just today but i'll post pics when im done so you can let me know what ya think....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts