Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about doing an IFS coversion on my '90 burb. Has anyone here done this? I really like the idea of the smooth ride IFS privides. The trails up here are very rough and the solid front axle (D60) really beats me up. Here are some of the questions I have on this swap:

1. What years could I get the IFS from?

2. Will I need to know how to weld or will it be bolt-on?

3. Can I use the IFS from a '90 C20 Suburban and just install the outer stub shafts?

4. Can I use the 6" lift leaf springs or will I need to get some coils?

I am sure I will have more questions as this progresses, so please bare with me. Thanks in advance for all the help!

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is no way this project will ever pay off for you.

If you really want IFS, you'd be much better off just finding a rig that has it from the factory. Otherwise you'll have to fabricate all the mounts for the upper and lower control arms, the differential, the torsion bars (unless you plan to design and build your own coil sprung IFS for it).

It's just a terrible idea, which you will discover for yourself when you take twenty minutes to look into it. Go buy a rig that already has IFS up front.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I think you are highly confused. You talk of an IFS conversion but yet you are asking about 6" leafs. And for the record, no that shit will not bolt on.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
if you swap in some soft ride springs, you will have a much better ride. You can fix your ride without going to the shittiest type of trail suspension. This is the first time I have ever heard of anyone wanting to swap shit into a solid axle truck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not confused. I really want a smooth ride and have heard that IFS is the way to go. As for finding a rig that is already IFS, I have thought about that and decided against it because I really love the body style of my Surburban.

So, if I can weld it sounds like it can be done. Are you sure nobody has done this before? I have searched and found nothing on this topic. That's why I turned to Pirate4x4. I ahve heard that the best tech is here and hope to find this to be true. I am getting very excited about this project!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds pretty reasonable to me, i bet it can be done. i mean IFS is so simple and tough sounds good to me.

Subscribed
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I am really hoping to get some good tech advice hear before I start cutting into this this weekend.

Does anyone have any answers to the questions I originally asked?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have been thinking about doing an IFS coversion on my '90 burb. Has anyone here done this? I really like the idea of the smooth ride IFS privides. The trails up here are very rough and the solid front axle (D60) really beats me up. Here are some of the questions I have on this swap:

1. What years could I get the IFS from?

2. Will I need to know how to weld or will it be bolt-on?

3. Can I use the IFS from a '90 C20 Suburban and just install the outer stub shafts?

4. Can I use the 6" lift leaf springs or will I need to get some coils?

I am sure I will have more questions as this progresses, so please bare with me. Thanks in advance for all the help!
1 any newer chevy 1/2 ton would probably be best
2 i am pretty sure it will just bolt on and be pretty quick
3 not sure
4 i am pretty sure the 6" leafs will work great with the ifs, i mean ford did it with their TTB so why would chevy ifs be any different.

good luck and let us know how it is going!!:D

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
sounds pretty reasonable to me, i bet it can be done. i mean IFS is so simple and tough sounds good to me.

Subscribed
Im convinved now.
Maybe I'll ditch my D60 front also.

Please post pics of this super-awesome build.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 any newer chevy 1/2 ton would probably be best
2 i am pretty sure it will just bolt on and be pretty quick
3 not sure
4 i am pretty sure the 6" leafs will work great with the ifs, i mean ford did it with their TTB so why would chevy ifs be any different.

good luck and let us know how it is going!!:D
How do you know all this? Don't you drive one of those damn Jap trucks? I was really hoping to have some Chevy guys chime in with some of the "real" tech that Pirate4x4 is known for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for posting that pic for me Moo. I wish I knew what to do with that front end now. Can I use and parts off it for my swap? Is it worth anything? Also, I got to thinking about the steering linkage. This rig has a 2wd steering box on it already, so all I need is a pair of idler arms and some tie rods, right? I was thinking about using the same type of setup that a Chevy Astro van uses. Is that going to be hard to do?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i guess your going to have to school me, but how can you use leafs on an ifs?
I am still trying to figure that one out. I am hoping to hear from some here on that topic. I guess I will have to figure some way to tie the springs together latterally so they don't "do the splits".

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
How do you know all this? Don't you drive one of those damn Jap trucks? I was really hoping to have some Chevy guys chime in with some of the "real" tech that Pirate4x4 is known for.
i have 3 chevies(99silverado, tahoe, and 68 elcamino) and a toyota, and my toyota is growing chevy left and right.....motor, springs, axles, etc soon it will be a chevy...lol

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I am still trying to figure that one out. I am hoping to hear from some here on that topic. I guess I will have to figure some way to tie the springs together latterally so they don't "do the splits".
you just have to bolt the IFS on below the springs where they are now and make a sprind perch on top of the upper arm for your center pin to go in and bolt the springs down, shouldn't be too hard and will get you lots of lift!!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts