Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DKA Motorsports
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the longest you guys have lasted with them running 35 up inch tires? :flipoff2: i'm still running the gay IFS in the front, savin' up for the SAS, havent broken a CV joint yet. i kind of like the IFS for the ride on the road, and the stability factor off road, but it still sucks. :flipoff2:

·
DKA Motorsports
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heh heh

yeah, i've already toasted a set of gears in my rear end, and blew out a bunch of bearings, but havent tossed a cv yet. the steering does suck a little bit. LOL. i wore out the bushings in the steering pretty quickly. I'm not plannin on asking any more :gay: IFS questions, i was just wondering how long people had run them before breakin. i'm hoping to get the SAS done late spring/summer. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I broke one (locker in the front) and started saving/looking for SAS parts. I was running 33" TSL's and had the tire in the air (imagine that) at about 3-4K it hit dry ground, and snap. Lifetime warr. at Auto Zone was nice though. :D

Hard to see in the pic with all that mud, but the joint is stuck up by the a-arm.

·
Registered
24,996 Posts
I keep telling people, the IFS axles are alot stronger than people think. I've run my bone stock, factory axles (13 years old) for WAY too many miles in FWD. Running 33s and 31s, locked, FWD, cranked t-bars, wheeling, highway miles, everything. The only thing that has gone wrong is the boots are shreaded.

I'm talking 3000 miles here. I'm seeing damage to the hub housings, but not the axles.

Considering the axles come around pretty often around here for sale, going rate is less than $50 each, grab 2 spares and go to town.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Pazuzu said:
I keep telling people, the IFS axles are alot stronger than people think. I've run my bone stock, factory axles (13 years old) for WAY too many miles in FWD. Running 33s and 31s, locked, FWD, cranked t-bars, wheeling, highway miles, everything. The only thing that has gone wrong is the boots are shreaded.

I'm talking 3000 miles here. I'm seeing damage to the hub housings, but not the axles.

Considering the axles come around pretty often around here for sale, going rate is less than $50 each, grab 2 spares and go to town.
yeah the axles might be "ok" (ish) but the diff centres are shit, the torsion bars suck, trust me, im driving one of the first of the rigs when they stopped bringing out solid axles over here (1997) stopped solid and brought out IFS (for all hiluxes) so yeah, my 1997 (well my work truck) is awesome onroad, pitiful in hard offroad, good on sand and light paddock work :flipoff2:

·
Registered
24,996 Posts
BJ On Roids said:

yeah the axles might be "ok" (ish) but the diff centres are shit, the torsion bars suck,
I'm not saying IFS is the killer deal, but all you hear on here is people parroting that the IFS axles are shit and useless. I think MOST of them are talking out of their asses, and should keep it down. Unless you have blown one or more front IFS axles (and yes, I know they blow, I know they blow more often than birfs, but they're still pretty damn strong) you should not be reciting the same old crap...IFS sucks...IFS sucks...

Oh, I *have* wheeled my old '85 truck, so I *can* talk about birf problems :p

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
My original IFS CV axles lasted for 200K+ miles before I finally blew 'em up. I really beat the crap out of them too. They are relatively strong, as was stated before the boots get shredded. The the joints fill up with crap, and well....you know.

Hef

1 - 10 of 10 Posts