Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the FJ-40 vented rotors and Im trying to but them on IFS hubs. the problem is the stock rotors were attached to the hub by individual bolts (not the studs). Now the FJ rotor forces you to use the studs to mount rotor into place. My studs are not long enough.

has anybody run into this problem? do you guys have a part number or a vehicle type I can take to the autoparts tomarrow to get some new studs?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this brings me to my next question...

since studs's splines fit instide the whole of the hub... adding a rotor to the back will not give the splines any contact with the hub... is that ok?

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
If your running the ifs hubs and fj rotors on the solid axle--which I hope- cuz ifs sucks-- You need a spacer to space the fj rotor back so the ifs caliper will fit properly. Once you have the spacer, bolt the spacer to the ifs hub, and then bolt the rotor to the spacer. You will need to buy hadware for this. I was going to make my own but the drawing on the fact page is fucked. It is totally wrong. Just buy them from sky. they come with hardware and seals.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The drawing in the FAQ is for using IFS hubs and rotors, not IFS hubs and FJ rotors. The "hat" section is deeper on the IFS rotors so the spacer doesn't need to be as thick when using IFS rotors as opposed to FJ vented rotors. The whole subject is actually quite confusing to read in the FAQ and could stand to be cleared up a bit and another drawing posted of the spacer required to use a vented FJ rotor. And no, I'm not volunteering to do the article. At the rate I type it would take me a month.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Dude- I here ya. I new it was for the IFS rotors and hubs-- what I was trying to tell him was that it was f:question: cked. The ifs rotors don't work properly with the ifs calipers mounted on the solid axle spindle and knuckle. Anyway--he doesn't need studs-- he needs spacers and some:beer: , cuz those things are $$.

I forgot to mention that if he wants just to up grade to vented rotors--just put the fj rotors and ifs calipers on the solid axle hubs and be done with it.;)

·
Moo 2 U
3,828 Posts
the sky spacer is the way to go IMO. allows the use of the IFS calipers and FJ-40 / FJ-60 vented rotors from 1981-90.

included hardware is 2 brake rotor adapters, 12 low head allen screws, 4(four) 7/16" dowel pins, and 2 inner hub seals.

you need to supply your own IFS wheel hubs, IFS or solid axle calipers, and solid axle or FJ-40 / FJ-60 vented rotors. (technically you could reuse your SA solid caliper and your SA rotors - but who wants to do that :flipoff2: when you can upgrade).

and now my 85 front axle will match my 87 (IFS) rear axle in width. :D

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Im not using a spacer, or kit...

I drilled out the threads in the knuckle. welded a nut on the inside of the caliper and ran a bolt through... that elminates the need of a spacer, or any other kind of 'hardware', my V6 calipers line up with thisees rotors perfect. all im concerned about is the studs... to keep the damn rotor on the hub.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I recently replaced the studs on my '85, which uses the same setup as you are describing. You can use the Toyota studs (Dorman catalogs list the wrong ones for minitrucks, you need to get the Landcruiser studs), and they'll probably be the best for you. I don't have a part number for those. I wanted some that were a bit longer since I'm using some 1.5" spacers and the lugnuts didn't fully engage with the stock studs. I found that chevy studs, Dorman P/N 610-073 were about 1/4" longer and fit perfectly. They have different threads, though - 1/2-20.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Try 1980 FJ40 or FJ60/62 Front wheel studs. Later FJ40's and FJ60's had the studs pressed thru the rotor and hub assembly. Some minitrucks had this setup as well.. It's kinda a tossup in the 1979 era as to whether they will be bolted on or pressed on.
Toyota has the studs think they are about $4 each last time I purchased them.

Or if your problem is you have the rotor that attaches via bolts to the back of the hub and your hub assembly needs to have the rotor pressed on via the studs.. YOur gonna need to buy new rotors! Do a search there were some cheap ones on the Cruiser section not very long ago.

I've got the sky kit sitting in the garage waiting to go on my Cruiser axle (well it's been there a while! ) thanks for the tech everyone!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tornadoalleycruiser said:
Try 1980 FJ40 or FJ60/62 Front wheel studs. Later FJ40's and FJ60's had the studs pressed thru the rotor and hub assembly.
yep you were right. those were the ones needed... heres some pics of the progress so far.

enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

there is slight grinding with the caliper you have to do... I ran into this problem After I tightned the spindle nut.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
last one.... kinda weird lookin:D

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey KarmirXJ,

Great job and thanks for the pics!

It looks like you are using a bunch of "new" parts... any chance you could post the part numbers/sources/make/model you have used. This would sure make it easier for those doing the same upgrade.

Also, if you can give us any info on the used parts (year/make/model) that would be great too.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
so what we have here is IFS wheel hubs w/ FJ-40 rotors and IFS calipers and no spacer...

Damn... wonder why someone didn't think about mounting the caliper this way before? Seems too dang simple... :confused:

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
rockota said:
so what we have here is IFS wheel hubs w/ FJ-40 rotors and IFS calipers and no spacer...

Damn... wonder why someone didn't think about mounting the caliper this way before? Seems too dang simple... :confused:
It has been done (kind of the ******* way of doing it :D ) except most people go to a 9/16" bolt and they tap the caliper.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts