Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i'm not going to be hard on my front end can't i use a d44 converted to 6 lug instead of the d60 8 lug? this way i can use my stock rear end and 6 lug wheels i already have.. if i use a 243 transfer case, will my push buttons on the dash work with it?? any help about this conversion will help me

·
Registered
99 Posts
When converting chevy IFS over to solid axle,You need to use a ford front end because the t-case comes down on the drivers side. To keep six lug, you have to convert the ford front end to chevrolet by changing the spindels over between the two different front ends (ford solid axle and chevy solid axle). Also check to see what gears are in your truck now and see if you need to change axle ratio's. :smokin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i was going to get the d44 out of an old ford 5 lug and do the conversion.. i really didn't want to go heavy bc money issues.. didn't want to change the rear and go through two d60s.. plus have to buy new wheels..

·
Registered
809 Posts
Shwillin-D said:
Definantly need larger axles for 44's. :eek: Need at least 1-ton. :grinpimp:
-Not if you rarely lock the hubs and leave it open. For somebody who wants to run 6 lug to keep the rear axle (10 bolt), a dana 60 probably isn't necessary up front. You'll want a '78-79 F250 Dana 44 with the cast in spring perch, and 6 bolt outers off a Chevy 10 bolt or dana 44, with a flat-top knuckle on the pass. side for crossover steering. Definitely run good ball joints.

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
BlueJeep said:
For somebody who wants to run 6 lug to keep the rear axle (10 bolt), a dana 60 probably isn't necessary up front.
No, but if he plans to run 44's, will that stock 10-bolt hold up even on the street? Doubt it. Even if it would, it'll need regearing. May as well spend the $ on the good stuff. You could probably "get by" with the 44 front if you're a mall cruiser, but I'm betting the 10-bolt rear needs to go regardless.

TEX

·
Registered
381 Posts
i have a 99, with 33's, and that rear sucks lol, plan on getting a limited slip or locker, i guess like mine, its a common problem to destroy spider gears on these new trucks, so replace the carrier with a locker of eaton posi or something, mine went out, one at work did, another friend of mine did, theres alot of them ive seen online with mushed spider gears, that was with 33's and a lot of street driving, truck had like 60k when mine went out, so id imagine 44s = early death lol. just drop a 14 bolt ff in and be done with it mmm 14 bolt

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
TEX said:
No, but if he plans to run 44's, will that stock 10-bolt hold up even on the street? Doubt it. Even if it would, it'll need regearing. May as well spend the $ on the good stuff. You could probably "get by" with the 44 front if you're a mall cruiser, but I'm betting the 10-bolt rear needs to go regardless.
TEX
I agree
I don't know who makes 44's for 16" rims anyway.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
A. You're an idiot.

B. You're going to turn a decent truck into a shit-box.

C. You're on the wrong site. Go away. :flipoff2:

Pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea i've thought about it and i'm going to swap both.. fuck it.. i just bought a 12" inch full throttle lift around march and 39"s and 16.5x12 weld wheels.. spent like $7000!! wasted!!! independent sucks!!! broke too much shit!!! thats why i'm going sfa.. no doubt its a good truck but i'm not destroying it.. its paid for so make it interesting now..again!! ha thanks for the info everyone. you made my mind up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pcorssmit said:
A. You're an idiot.

B. You're going to turn a decent truck into a shit-box.

C. You're on the wrong site. Go away. :flipoff2:

Pete
oh and pcors.. its not yours so don't worry about it!! thanks

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
10 bolts brake on stock street trucks... 44's, but you have money constraints? wtf is that?... PS - if you are diong an SAS on that new of a truck, then you either have enough money to tear it up, or you are just putting 44's on it to be cool. I think it will be deadly when the c-clip falls out going down the highway at 70 mph...

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
If it was my truck, and I wanted to wheel it (let-alone w/ 44's), I would have to run a D60/14FF combo, or a D60/D70, or D60/D60....... mo-fucka's would have to have some low ass gears too... Nothing wrong with wheeling a nice truck, if you can afford it. But if you are worried about braking stuff, you need ATLEAST 1-tons for the 44's...

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Have you ever seen your own tire and axle pass you while going 65 mph. With a 10 bolt and 44's you'll get an education real quick. Hope you live through it.

Dont tow anything and cross your fingers, some day you'll bank into a corner and find out what im talking about if the rig even stays right side up.

D44 up front, will live but id go 8 lug and at least run some 3/4 ton shit.

Canidate for a Darwin Award

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i mean money isn't a problem, it would just take a lil longer to get what i need.. but thanks for everyones input.. i'm going to go ahead a run the d60 and prolly d60 or d70 in the rear. (depends on the truck i find) i'm looking for an older ford now to buy to rebuild the axles in. now, if it has 30 spline, should i change out to 35? is 35 1 ton? and 30 3/4 ton??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh yea i wanna know why some of you fuckers in here have to be smart asses when someone like myself who is young is trying to learn shit about axles?? oh and AMERICAN, i know its going to be cool, who wouldn't think that? but i also want it strong thats why, I'M FUCKING ASKING OPINIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts