Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys running for ignition on your Ftoys. I have a 22RE motor that is going carb (propane) I replace the dizzy witha carbed one but dont have a coil or ignitor (whatever I need). What year do I need these parts from? I know there are several different kinds and want to make sure I get the right one. OR.........is there some upgraded crap out there that is better? MSD, LCE, etc??

One other thing....why has someone not posted up a Ftoy wiring diagram? I know there are several alternatives out there. I will end up going with a one wire GM alt. so that eliminated that headache. I am running a Ftoy panel from SeaBass and a master cutoff switch and a little 6 circuit fuse panel to run CB, stereo, lights and junk. Thanks

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Stock carbureted distributor with stock ignitor woorks fine. Stock distributor with MSD 6A box works great also. If you want to go big, LC Engineering sells a distributor that has been recurved for performance.
As far as a wiring diagram goes. That is one of those things that if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers. If someone put up a wiring diagram, before you know it, that thread would be 10 pages long with different opinions on how to do it..

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
I ran the msd6a and there offroad coil on my truck pre efi. Worked great with a step colder plugs and around a .045 gap

I still want to run the steup just need to add some stuff so I can use it with the 22re injection

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as a wiring diagram goes. That is one of those things that if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers. If someone put up a wiring diagram, before you know it, that thread would be 10 pages long with different opinions on how to do it..
Maybe that is what we need!!!

Isnt there different coils and ignitors for carb'd trucks though? So you gotta have a MSD 6A and a MSD coil too? Damn I dont know anything about this!!

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
You don't need a different coil... just the MSD coil is supposed to put out more spark so why not use it.

With the msd6A and the msd coil you don't need any of the stock stuff but the carb distributer on a propane or a carb'd truck

On a truck running 22re fuel injection with the stock cpu you need to combine the stock ignitor setup with the MSD6a using a tach adapter from MSD so that it advances the timing etc and works with the cpu.

EDITED to clarify efi msd combo....

·
Registered
3,850 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Im confrused. I think I meant either the Toyota coil/ignitor or the MSD6a and MSD coil. Does the MSD 6a replace the Yota ignitor?

What about running the GM stuff? I found an old link to it on my computer.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179253
I have been checking out that same link you posted, even though my stock stuff works fine. The thread kinda ended and some people never got it working at all...
might be time for a TTT. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah....that is the way all those too good to be true links end. TTT:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YES, you use the stock distribotor, the stock coil, and the MSD in place of the stock ignitor.
OK I got it now, was just trying to figure out where the 6A came into play. Hell might as well run the MSD coil too.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
OK I got it now, was just trying to figure out where the 6A came into play. Hell might as well run the MSD coil too.
that's what I ended up doing on my rig. It took me a while to understand it also. That's the only reason I already know.
edit: I was logged in as my bro, this is desertoy.

·
Vendor
4,105 Posts
IMO the msd stuff causes more problems than anything. I know, 10 people will get on me for saying this but every time a truck comes into our shop (we also do general auto repair) it's always the msd box. I personally like a stock distrubutor, el-cheapo 12volt coil, and the gm ignition module to light it. Thats how I run my truck and I bring a spare $15 module for peace of mind ( and the other chevys in the group):grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep talking Cary you got my attention. So you recommend the Chevy stuff? What about the resistor? Heat sink? What coil and module? I need to buy some stuff so that would be more than helpful.

REading that linky that I and Rick posted up it kinda ends in a....well who knows?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
4 years of wet, dirty wheeling plus a some long weeks of desert wheeling during that time all running a MSD setup. Never an issue.

I have heard of problems but never seen any firsthand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts