Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tues question....So whenever it rains really heavy, water leaks from god knows where down the front sides of my 4runner (where the computer and ignition relays are) I think this is causing my intermittent starting problem. Sometimes it will start and sometimes it won't do anything ( I don't even think it clicks?) Putting on a battery pack does absolutely nothing. I'll push start it and then it'll start on its own after I turn it back off. starter is 2 weeks old.
So I have some questions.. Has anyone had a leak in this area and would I have to take off the dash to get to the source of the leak? I'm thinkin it's from the bottom of the windshield area or from the vent area on the hood.
....Also what ignition component in that area could go bad from water damage?

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
tues question....So whenever it rains really heavy, water leaks from god knows where down the front sides of my 4runner (where the computer and ignition relays are) I think this is causing my intermittent starting problem. Sometimes it will start and sometimes it won't do anything ( I don't even think it clicks?) Putting on a battery pack does absolutely nothing. I'll push start it and then it'll start on its own after I turn it back off. starter is 2 weeks old.
So I have some questions.. Has anyone had a leak in this area and would I have to take off the dash to get to the source of the leak? I'm thinkin it's from the bottom of the windshield area or from the vent area on the hood.
....Also what ignition component in that area could go bad from water damage?
its common for guys to move the computer up behind the glove box(its behind the kickpanel on that side), water is the devil, ask anyone who wheels a toyota at fordyce creek:D

·
Registered
652 Posts
your WINDSHIELD leaks...... get it sealed up..... its a very common problem... i know this, because my windshield has left water on my floorboards and now i have holes in the floor

·
Registered
274 Posts
you mention replacing the battery does absolutely "nothing" . well if the battery is fine , then check the lines.

is the battery tight?

what about the STARTER CABLE?

most importantly your STARTER CABLE is probably corroded/ has too much resistance, and will make your battery useless if you dont have a good connection.

and for #2

my yota leaks when it rains. turns out it was coming in through the hole on the passenger side in front of the cab (under the dash) where the wiring harness comes through some "3m" marine grade/ boat caulking is now your best friend .

- Dave

·
Registered
72 Posts
yup everyone with the windsheild answer is right I had this same problem on a carb. truck no comp but it leaked right where the comp is on EFI. Get smart an wrap ur comp in a plasic bag and duct tape the opening. Ever if you move it under the dash. Fordyce is no joke in those water crossings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the wet floor after rain, and quagmiresyoda hit it on the head. The wiring harness that goes through the firewall on the passenger side had (what was left of) a rubber grommet around it. It had mostly deteriorated and was letting water through. Wrapped it in a short piece of 5/8 hose and caulked the shit out of it. No more wet floor.

I'd also vote with him on the starter cable. Had the exact same problem with my Dodge. Thought it was the starter, but I put the voltmeter on it and had the wife hit the key - no juice. Checked the battery, all good. So were the fuses and relays. Wiggle the starter cable - juice at the starter. So rather than replace a $165 starter, I got a $12 cable and now all is good.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
tues question.... I think this is causing my intermittent starting problem. Sometimes it will start and sometimes it won't do anything ( I don't even think it clicks?)
Could be your opening relay behind the speaker, it can cause a lot of starting problems, open it and let it dry or replace it if its wet and or rusty.

It could also be your ignition switch, it is another common problem. Sometimes even replacing the ign switch won't cure the problem. I've added a pushbutton linking the battery to the starter bendix terminal.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
I have the same problem with the water in my 85 pickup, and i have the same starter problem. My truck starts on its own maybe, 10% of the time. I have replaced the starter probably 7 times in 5 years (both with new one and rebuilt ones). I have replaced the contacts, added new grounds, terminals, batter cables, battery....nothing works. Time for a push button bypass for me

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I have the same problem with the water in my 85 pickup, and i have the same starter problem. My truck starts on its own maybe, 10% of the time. I have replaced the starter probably 7 times in 5 years (both with new one and rebuilt ones). I have replaced the contacts, added new grounds, terminals, batter cables, battery....nothing works. Time for a push button bypass for me
Just put it in the garage when it rains:homer:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Try this if your ignition switch won't start the engine: Put the ign switch to on, put your truck in neutral!!! then with a jumper wire attach it to the starter bendix terminal then to positive(+) on the battery. If the truck starts then you have a ignition problem

1 - 15 of 15 Posts