Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Robert -

Would love to follow the whole build if you have that on another site. I have not been here in a long time but Rick pointed me this way - what a cool project.

As to what you are doing with the motor - :eek: I am really excited to see how this all turns out. I am interested in what you and Tom have talked about with the crank... Seems to me this is the biggest (literally) issue with getting these anchors spin up quickly.

As to the blower - have you mocked anything up for the intake? I had a small Detroit blower come available a while back, but I was far too afraid to try and sort out how to use it... I am impressed with your ambition - this is going to be sweet!

- Jens from Just Internationals

·
Blower Binder
645 Posts
Not to criticize but if you go with an 8v blower like i did it will be a lot cheaper than a 6-71, and its about the same length as the block so it looks nice. I will pm you my email address if you have any questions about blowers, or blowers on IH engines.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Levi thats very close, however if you look at the intake manifold they have it tall to have room for the dissy. I/we are looking at doing the sheet metal intake about half that tall. The issue I have is the motor will be tall and I am using a 6" drop frt axle to keep the car overall very low. I am looking at crank triggers and maybe an offset mag now. I lost my friken camera as soon as I find it I need to show you guys some pictures. I also need to snap a picture of a Tom Woods shaft I have left over for Buck.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Bringing this to the top, I need some help/advice I am now looking for advice on distributorless ign systems. The motor will be too tall with the blower, and carbs because the intake manifold will need to be taller than the dissy. As OS referred to earlier I looked at crank triggers but it seems they only control the spark output to the dist. I need to find a way to fire the spark with out a dissy, and hoping not to have a computer also. I know the new gen GMs do not have a dissy but I am not having much luck finding a system on the web. I am also thinking the newer stuff uses a cam sensor also and I don't see a way to even go that route on my 304/IH junk motor. Thanks for input here.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I think you're on the right track with the newer GM systems. You could probably make a cam sensor work in the place of the distributor that would be very low profile. How much room do you have?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ford EDIS System

Have you thought about a Ford EDIS system? They are a wasted spark system and the older ones are relatively simple and there is a lot of information about them on the net. Here is a basic schematic and best of all you can pull them from the junkyard all day long.

And here are some links link1 link2 to good info and another to a company that makes an inexpensive EDIS controller.

I bought a crank trigger on e-bay, and had the center machined out to press fit on the inside of the harmonic balancer. Since it is a Ford it uses the standard 36-1 style tooth count and then get a VR sensor and fab a bracket to locate it and that is about it.

You can also use Dodge style coils, supposedly hotter and they do not have the funky Ford style terminations.

PM me if you get a chance.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'd think to adjust the ignition curve with the ford system is to tinker with the controller.
It looks like you would adjust it like you would for say a diesel that has been chipped.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Maybe look at MSD web site. I know they make a system that is only as tall as the dist. cap. The rest is done by crank trigger and a box. (Like a MSD 6, or 6 marine, 7-AL2, MSD 8, etc.)
I have seen those dist caps run off a cog belt on the front of the engine also.
Sonny's Racing Engines, or Steve Schmidt racing engines may have pictures on some of their mountain motors for 4wd truck pullers,,,,
May also be on MSD web site,,
Can't wait to see how this one turns out! Sounds bad ass !!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Talk to JPEater today:smokin:Got him on board as ign tech go to. I think I will be using a ford EDIS system in some fuction. We are getting the axles and links under it so it can be a roller. I still can't find my camera but I'll borrow one so I can post up some pictures tonite.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
OK shitty cell phone pix but here are the first of this project. Looking at the first picture you can see why I'm concerned about the engine hight issues. Also there is a pix of the channel job from the rear picture. Just started mocking up axles, and hair pins.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Way shitty pictures I know still looking for my camera. Here a picture of the hair pin on the frt axle, will have the same on the rear axle. Also my Scout with the caddy 500 is done:smokin: The Scout is stupid to drive but way fun. Away here's picture of the GF building the 500, it's cool to have her build her motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I'd think to adjust the ignition curve with the ford system is to tinker with the controller.
It looks like you would adjust it like you would for say a diesel that has been chipped.
I was looking for a higher level of tech than "tinker" with the controller. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I was looking for a higher level of tech than "tinker" with the controller. :flipoff2:
I agree and I would do some research on this before making the decision to use a EEC system....I have not worked with one recently but not long ago making program adjustments with these systems was a joke at best. Also does it have provisions for boost?
Just saying do your homework before jumping.:smokin:

21 - 40 of 288 Posts