Pirate 4x4 banner

IH engine tech

128K views 287 replies 53 participants last post by  tsm1mt 
#1 ·
I'm building a 34 C1 pick up hotrod. Pirate is not the board for a hotrods so I will keep this to engine tech only. But for an over view I will post up a couple pictures of the truck I am using as a model/guide. We have channeled the cab 6" to hide the frame, chopping the roof 2" in the rear and 3" at the windshield. Bed will be 4' box with a gas tank mounted in there (thinking an acid tank from my radiator shop). No fenders, hoods, or running boards.
OK here's the IH engine tech, I want to keep the truck IH powered (I know I'm a dumb ass) So the plan I have come up with, 304 over bored to 392, then 392 heads (bigger valves sodium filled) balace the rods ect.ect. Feeling is the 304 will spool way faster because of the shorter stroke. I have a 304 at the machine shop, ultrasonicly tested and there is plenty of cylinder wall for the bore. Infact the guys there tell me after the bore, there is more wall thickness than a chevy 350 standerd bore. I know that the intake will be an issue but we are making a sheet metal one for the 671 blower:smokin: I am keeping the compression down to around 8.5 to 1 because the plan is to run between 6 and 10 psi boost. I just got the blower and we are mocking it all up now. The truck will only weight about 1800lbs and there is no way to get it to hook up and still be streetable. I am using a 6" drop straight axle and a transverse mounted leaf spring, trying to keep the 50s look. I'll post more as the engine build go on, Oh and if this is not of intrest to you hard core wheelers then have the Mods toss it:flipoff2: Oh and I am all over tech help and info as this is a winter build and the first for me in all aspects from chassis to well all of it.......

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Man READ, the engine is at the shop already bored, wall thickness is more than stock 350 chevy. To clear this up for Super Duper Scout, the bore is about 1/4 inch over stock, to fit a 392 std bore piston, the 304 has a shorter stroke, this would make the engine about 348 cubes. The reason for this is shorter stroke to spool faster than 345 or 392. Read can be done, hardest parts I see is the water neck and distubitor clearance under the blower. This will make the blower very tall on an already tall motor. I have seen a 345 with a blower at the Nats on a Scout but that was a long time ago and I am looking at our mock up, the supercharger, carbs, and air cleaners look like they will be as tall as the windshield.

#6 ·
This will make the blower very tall on an already tall motor. I have seen a 345 with a blower at the Nats on a Scout but that was a long time ago and I am looking at our mock up, the supercharger, carbs, and air cleaners look like they will be as tall as the windshield.
Solution: Drive with your head out the window.

I have no tech to offer. I hate engine work - this is way, way, way out of my league.

#5 ·
My mom has the camera, Oh no I mean my wife has it, Ah the batterys are dead, Oppps wrong post. I will post up pictures as we get the motor back from the machine shop. As far as the truck goes I can post up but as I said earlier this Priate. For me this build is way cool and just one more way to enjoy working on and building IH trucks.

#9 ·
Jet, what color did you finally decide on going with?
And keep the rest of us up to date on this cool ass build. :smokin:

#15 ·
keep posting jet,it's I.H based and there are more people here who want to see it than not :shaking:.plus theres not a whole lot of builds going on any way,infact most days here,this place could be mistaken for general chit chat. :shaking:

i've always enjoyed your posts and your fleet of cool trucks and rigs,i would bad mouth you personaly if you were building such a cool truck with a stock 304,but your not. :flipoff2:

anything that is force fed in my book is just plain :smokin:.still waitin to see if you add a turbo to that cooler of yours :grinpimp:

#18 ·
First things first, Super Duper Scout no prob welcome to the IH bar:flipoff2:
Okkool77 I'm thinking the paint will be a silver/gray metalic base clear coat. Think it should look good with a satin black powder coat frame, IH red motor & tranny, and a tastful amount of chrome.
OS the crank trigger is a good option, trying to keep the cost some what under control, and I want to keep it kinda old school IH. I sold the Terra I did lots of work on and I have presold the Aristcrat we are 80% complete on the frame off, I am funding my Hotrod on the back of Scouts that I have built/restored and found happy new owners for.
472Scout I have already bought a 671 polished blower, so I want/like the look and whats kooler than the 4" drive belt whine :smokin:
This weekend we will be putting the 392 heads on the JY 304 we are using for the fitment. We already have the frame boxed, cab channeled, and have it all sitting on the frame jig. I will be ordering the frt axle and rear 4 link kit Monday. Funny thing is I can buy the four link junk cheeper than I can build it. If it were for IH I'm sure it would be way more.
I'll snap a few pictures this weekend when we get the motor and tranny set in the frame.
Chris I also love the pressurized IH motor.
Disclamer Tom Mandera has a ton more experince with the IH over the top motors, Sooo I have enlisted him on the motor end of my build. We chat about the cool factors, power needs, and this should do the trick. I don't want an all out race motor, more like a rad cam, low compression, pressurized moter that will be a good driver. One of my biggest fears is on first start up a back fire and a $3000 blower in peaces:eek: WTF got jump once in a while. I'll post up as we progress, hope to have it complete by RMIHR, but that may be wishful thinking. Still working on the Aristcrat and a day job also.......Robert

#19 · (Edited)
One of my biggest fears is on first start up a back fire and a $3000 blower in peaces:eek:
Don't worry about the backfire, it will only warp your rotors, damage the case and stretch the aluminum bolts. :flipoff2:

Just make sure your backfire valve is lightly greased on the sealing surface and not overtightened. I made a plastic seal for mine as the paper type gasket seal would stick to the aluminum and tend to not release. It still will push flames up and out the fuel injection, so just don't lean it out!

If your carbed, that should get your carburetors burning. :laughing:

#21 ·
Hey Robert -

Would love to follow the whole build if you have that on another site. I have not been here in a long time but Rick pointed me this way - what a cool project.

As to what you are doing with the motor - :eek: I am really excited to see how this all turns out. I am interested in what you and Tom have talked about with the crank... Seems to me this is the biggest (literally) issue with getting these anchors spin up quickly.

As to the blower - have you mocked anything up for the intake? I had a small Detroit blower come available a while back, but I was far too afraid to try and sort out how to use it... I am impressed with your ambition - this is going to be sweet!

- Jens from Just Internationals

#22 ·
Not to criticize but if you go with an 8v blower like i did it will be a lot cheaper than a 6-71, and its about the same length as the block so it looks nice. I will pm you my email address if you have any questions about blowers, or blowers on IH engines.

#27 ·
Levi thats very close, however if you look at the intake manifold they have it tall to have room for the dissy. I/we are looking at doing the sheet metal intake about half that tall. The issue I have is the motor will be tall and I am using a 6" drop frt axle to keep the car overall very low. I am looking at crank triggers and maybe an offset mag now. I lost my friken camera as soon as I find it I need to show you guys some pictures. I also need to snap a picture of a Tom Woods shaft I have left over for Buck.

#28 ·
Bringing this to the top, I need some help/advice I am now looking for advice on distributorless ign systems. The motor will be too tall with the blower, and carbs because the intake manifold will need to be taller than the dissy. As OS referred to earlier I looked at crank triggers but it seems they only control the spark output to the dist. I need to find a way to fire the spark with out a dissy, and hoping not to have a computer also. I know the new gen GMs do not have a dissy but I am not having much luck finding a system on the web. I am also thinking the newer stuff uses a cam sensor also and I don't see a way to even go that route on my 304/IH junk motor. Thanks for input here.

#30 · (Edited)
Ford EDIS System

Have you thought about a Ford EDIS system? They are a wasted spark system and the older ones are relatively simple and there is a lot of information about them on the net. Here is a basic schematic and best of all you can pull them from the junkyard all day long.

And here are some links link1 link2 to good info and another to a company that makes an inexpensive EDIS controller.

I bought a crank trigger on e-bay, and had the center machined out to press fit on the inside of the harmonic balancer. Since it is a Ford it uses the standard 36-1 style tooth count and then get a VR sensor and fab a bracket to locate it and that is about it.

You can also use Dodge style coils, supposedly hotter and they do not have the funky Ford style terminations.

PM me if you get a chance.

#32 ·
I'd think to adjust the ignition curve with the ford system is to tinker with the controller.
It looks like you would adjust it like you would for say a diesel that has been chipped.

#33 ·
Maybe look at MSD web site. I know they make a system that is only as tall as the dist. cap. The rest is done by crank trigger and a box. (Like a MSD 6, or 6 marine, 7-AL2, MSD 8, etc.)
I have seen those dist caps run off a cog belt on the front of the engine also.
Sonny's Racing Engines, or Steve Schmidt racing engines may have pictures on some of their mountain motors for 4wd truck pullers,,,,
May also be on MSD web site,,
Can't wait to see how this one turns out! Sounds bad ass !!

#34 ·
Talk to JPEater today:smokin:Got him on board as ign tech go to. I think I will be using a ford EDIS system in some fuction. We are getting the axles and links under it so it can be a roller. I still can't find my camera but I'll borrow one so I can post up some pictures tonite.

#35 ·
OK shitty cell phone pix but here are the first of this project. Looking at the first picture you can see why I'm concerned about the engine hight issues. Also there is a pix of the channel job from the rear picture. Just started mocking up axles, and hair pins.

Attachments

#36 ·
Way shitty pictures I know still looking for my camera. Here a picture of the hair pin on the frt axle, will have the same on the rear axle. Also my Scout with the caddy 500 is done:smokin: The Scout is stupid to drive but way fun. Away here's picture of the GF building the 500, it's cool to have her build her motor.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.