Pirate 4x4 banner

161 - 180 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #163 (Edited)
Awesome. :evil: You're almost making me wish I had built a crawler instead of a dual purpose rig. Almost.
Come on over and join the dark side!:evil:

Cut that fucking bumper dildo off of the end and stretch that bitch out!

Looks good. Good to see the progress on all of these jack stand rigs.
Thanks HOS. The bumper dildo will be cut off soon enough. Waiting for another person to help take the bumper off so I can cut it, put longer battery leads on the winch and repaint it all.

I got everything all done at the shop. Just need to weld it all up and put some jerry can mounts on the tire carrier and we're all done. I think the cage turned out pretty bitchin:smokin:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #164

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Ummm.... there's a huge piece of tube sticking out of your ass. You might want to get that looked at.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #167 (Edited)
Ummm.... there's a huge piece of tube sticking out of your ass. You might want to get that looked at.
Thanks Mechanos! I've already made the appointment with the doc! :p

I know it sticks out a lil but but you gotta take the good with the bad. It's far enough out that if I were to ever put a tailgate back on I could and still clear the tire and with the swing dwn I don't have to worry about lifting a 42" tire up past my shoulders. Leverage will be my friend. Atleast that's what I'm telling myself anyway.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
So laying up under the Scout Im not seeing too much room for an exhaust pipe so I'm trying to get as much stuff out of the way. One of those things is my speedo cable. So after some thought Ive decided to remove it. I figure I'm going to be crawling so why do I need to know how fast I'm going.

Next question was, is how do I keep the VSS for the computer working. Well I already had the adapter for the np 205 to my speedo cable. So I ended up just needin to cap and plug the VSS adapter. Ended up finding a plastic cap that fit and then used some silicone to seal it.
If you decide you want/need a speedometer, a 90* speedo adpater might help? Corvette Parts and Accessories - 1953-82 Corvette Speedometer and Tachometer Cable Adapter - Corvette Specialty (951-272-8648)
X2521.jpg

Where did you get that VSS for the 205?

FWIW I don't have a speedo either, I have a gps
I got the VSS from a place called "Jags that Run". It wasn't cheap by any means. But for the research I did at the time, it was all that I could find to solve the issue with the computer and the VSS with my 205.
Dakota Digital has some options for VSS about half the cost of Jags that run, only about $30-40
Sending Units
Speedometer 8K Pulse Generator

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
So Awesome!!!
Thanks!

Looks good though think think your going to drag your ass a lot
Thanks. There's only one way to find out. I'm sure I'll hit it from time to time. I'll also place a skid plate on it as well to counter that. Like I said earlier, have to take the good with the bad. If I built it any less rearward, my 42" tire would be where my tailgate would be if I decide to place one. Any higher and the tire would be a really high center of gravity on the Scout. Well see what happens...

If you decide you want/need a speedometer, a 90* speedo adpater might help? Corvette Parts and Accessories - 1953-82 Corvette Speedometer and Tachometer Cable Adapter - Corvette Specialty (951-272-8648)
Dakota Digital has some options for VSS about half the cost of Jags that run, only about $30-40
Sending Units
Speedometer 8K Pulse Generator
Thanks for the info. Wish I would have spent that much on my adapter, owell.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Progress is going pretty steady with the Scout.

Got the roll cage all welded and painted. Cut and made the engine bay support tube removable. Wired the whole scout up. I actually have working windshield wipers, and a three speed heater(minus ductwork) now.

Replaced the old brake/running and reverse lights with LED's. Installed all the gauge wiring and all gauges are functioning correctly. Adjusted the master cylinder in hopes to get a stiffer pedal, which still needs some minor work done.

Cut the bumper dildo off as Harvester of Sorrow called it. And I started her up today and let the motor warm up to 210* and let the thermostat open and the engine fan kick on.

I took it out on the street today for a short 5 min lap. Let everything warm up and strecth her legs. Which felt AWESOME! We're almost done!

My next dilemma is with the front fenders. How much to cut off. I did some research and found a few posts with pics of front fender cuts, but none of them I seemed to like. So I put some tape and photo editing to work to see how it would look before I started hacking.

What do you guys think? Alright or a little too much taken off?

From this...

To this...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
One giant leap for Scout kind...

Took it for a lil break in run. A few poser pics.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Got the rear tire carrier mounted and functional. Pic of the skid plate.

Tire moc up...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
I spent the last two weeks working my ass off trying to get the Scout up and running for an event called "Wheeling With Cops" up at the Bambi Inn just up the hill. The event took place yesterday and included a large amount of kids from the the local Boys and Girls Club.

What a great event!! I met several local wheelers, caught up with old friends and most of all had a BLAST treating the kids with some good ol fashion wheelin!!! Nothing too hard core but they didn't care:smokin:

Took em up to Colby Mountain fire look out and then back down. Ended up being a nice mayden run for the scout. I will definitely be back next year!

Nothing broke and only minor tweaks needed.

Over the few weeks I got my gas tanks skid plate cut to clear a full bump from the 14 bolt, painted and installed.

After installing the spare tire and having a friend hop in the back of the scout for some added "tool and gear" weight. The scout was looking like a prerunner. So I cut n lowered the rear spring mounts 1" and welded her back up.

Wired up the front bumper lights and rock lights...

While test driving it awhile the heim joints would blow out causing some major death wobble. So I call the manufacturer and got a few sets of new C-clips to replace the older style rings that didn't work.

Did some front fender trimming which was sad to do But a necessary evil, I suppose.

I also installed a HF special ATV winch on the rear portion of my roll cage to assist with lifting the spare tire up and down. What a great investment! I tried lifting it once and my back was tweaked for a week. Now I just push a button and watch :p

Here are some pics of my rider and the fun we had!

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
I also installed a HF special ATV winch on the rear portion of my roll cage to assist with lifting the spare tire up and down. What a great investment! I tried lifting it once and my back was tweaked for a week. Now I just push a button and watch :p

Here are some pics of my rider and the fun we had!

Good to see the Scout out in it's natural habitat :grinpimp:
I was wondering how you planned on lifting that spare...good on the winch.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
A little update.

Been going with slow progress lately. The wife and I have been getting things ready for a new addition to the Scout family. He's due within the next week :)

But I have installed the winch. Here's a pic of the wife driving it down the driveway.

Here's a pic of the tire carrier winch mounted to the rear portion of the roll cage. A small piece of channel cut and drilled to fit.

Mounted my highlift onto my tire carrier. Couple bolts welded to some 1/4" plate.

Made pins for my tire carrier swing out arms. Took some 9/16" bar stock and cut it to length. Then some 7/16" bar stock and made a T with them. Welded a thick washer to have the T stand up higher. Then drilled a hole for the retaining pin.

I also tried to baffle my PS reservoir a little with an oil filter cartridge.

But ultimately it created more foam and bubbles in the reservoir and made the pump whine. So my next idea is to drill a hole in the lid then place a threaded aluminum spacer inside the reservoir, with some home made baffle disks bolted to the spacer that will be set inside the reservoir, attached to the lid. Well see...

Still have a leaky tranny pan. I figured because it was chromed it isn't allowing the seal to properly work. So I think I'm going to order a new steel pan and gasket and hopefully that does the trick.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #178 (Edited)
Been awhile since I've last posted, but I had a good excuse! I'm now a very proud daddy! :)

Say hello to the newest future Scout owner!

So in between taking care of mama and baby I've been able to do a few things to the scout.

Took some sheet metal and made a couple jerry can holders out of it. Heres a pic of the cuts and the final bends.

Here they are mounted mounted to the two swing out arms of the tire carrier. Took a couple peices of 1 inch tube and welded it underneath for some support.

Welded some rod for a swing stop.

Cut out a small portion of my tire carrier skid plate. Couldnt get a trailer hitch in with in being straight across.

Here is the tire carrier all painted and with the two jerry cans installed. Also installed two rear lights below the jerry can holders. They should work good enough to see behind me while wheeling and second as a camp light/flood light when the arms swing out with them on.

Here it is all opened up.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #180 (Edited)
IT'S ABOUT TIME!!

The Scouts maiden four wheelin trip!!!

Took it up to the snow for some fun!!

A buddy and I met up with Scouttanks up at his cabin and went from there.

I had some early issues of the tranny and engine running warm while just cruising up the hill. So I'll definitely install a fan shroud and I will run my tranny cooler separately from the radiator, as the tranny heat stayed consistent with the engine heat. So when the engine was hot it was too. Well see if that helps keep both systems cool.

Other than that, here she is!

Unfortunately no one took pics of this portion. I think my buddy took a video, but I haven't gotten it yet. What isn't seen before this pic is the pucker factor in the ditch just to get to this point. It wasn't fun, but I said screw it I'm here to have fun and see what the Scout could do, and went for it!

The snow and the embankment was about 6-8" away from my drivers window. It was nuts. Anyway... I made it through and scraped up some paint in the process with just pushing snow out of the way.

Then I went and got myself stuck... shovel and winching, I made it out and we ultimately turned around after this.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some vids and more pics up here.

Got the video downloaded. Let's see if it works!

https://youtu.be/EuRIRnGooYg

161 - 180 of 210 Posts