Pirate 4x4 banner

Illinois???????

2K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  Kiwipushrod 
#1 ·
I know we don't have hills but we do have mud and creeks .... maybe a rock or two.. does anyone have a place to try to get stuck that is within a couple hours of Rockford? It seems like its a 1 time per yr event for the Illinois boys.. can anyone help me????

I have permission to go into rockyGlenn www.rockyglenohv.com But I dont want to go in alone.. I think it would be boring as hell alone .. Anyone wanna go??? or at least in someones personal mud pitt!!:mr-t:

#3 · (Edited)
sorry about that link not workin .. must have misspelled somthing..

I know a couple of the guys that run that place.. so like I said... "I" have permission.. as long as it is after hours and we tread lightly!

#5 ·
Rockford ay? Thats about 4 hours from me. There are a few spots down here that my friends have every now and then. I'm in Alton btw. I really don't know of much to wheel in Illinois myself tho. Use to have Mississippi Mud in Wood River a long time ago, but they sold it, and now cops wont hesitate to take you to jail if they catch you back in there. It is a really good spot to wheel at tho.

#12 ·
Ya 90 min. is not too bad at all but just got my rig back together and I would like to take baby steps and try stuff close to home.... MY LUCK ... I would drive 90 min or 4 hrs to badlands and as soon as i get there I would break something and need to go home! that sucks..

#15 ·
I'm in Galena IL (10 mi from Dubuque IA) and I'd say cliffs is the closest public place worth the drive. I also attend some of the tri state stump jumper events...they are usually around the dubuque IA area on private land, but again, that's a 90 minute drive for you. PM me if you want stump jumper info.

Check out the great lakes jeep thing forum too. I think its www.gljt.org

#22 · (Edited)
hell, you're only 4 hours from Hannibal, you should be going there instead. the Cliffs is fun if you like tons of mud, but that's about all it's got. not worth a long drive IMO, it has a couple technical spots and atleast one "rock" trail, but......

I know Tom and a couple of people who have put a ton of time into that place and they've done a great job with it. it's also nice to have a place close to home that people care about. it's just not my cup 'o tea. I prefer rocks and longer trails. I do take the kids there from time to time and climb some hills with them. they love it and it's quality time with them.

hey Will, sweet Dodge!! get a cage in that thing, would you please ;)

#16 ·
What kind of rig are you running? That will dictate a lot about the places you can go. There are some local places down this way, but I liked the Cliffs when I was there.

I'll be making a trip to either The CLiffs or Badlands when I get the rig done later this summer.

#17 · (Edited)
im in carpentersville (elgin area if you dont know) im up for the cliffs, rocky glen or badlands. if anyone has quads ill go with those too. i just need people to wheel with all my friends either sold their jeeps or they are broken.

Dan

oh ya im goin to silver lake sand dunes july 22-26 if anyones gonna be there let me know

#18 ·
I have permission to go into rockyGlenn www.rockyglenohv.com But I dont want to go in alone.. I think it would be boring as hell alone .. Anyone wanna go??? or at least in someones personal mud pitt!!:mr-t:
I might be able to get a few guys to come out to rocky glen for some jeep fun...as long as you're sure the guy is cool with jeeps and trucks tearing up his atv trails.

PM me or email me at andy@trailridetv.com

#19 ·

I'm in Central IL (just outside Decatur), and I've also been looking for places to go. I've been to the Badlands, and had a blast. Yep i broke something, but it was the exhaust manifold while going over some large boulders on a trail back to the trailer. Sure glad the break was at the end of the day. Difficulty wasn't too bad and I was able to keep up with the Jeeps I'd gone with, I'm in a Dodge 3/4 ton Weapons Carrier (M37).

#24 ·
For serious hard core stuff Hannibal is the place. Badlands and the Cliffs are a blast and have some very challenging trails. I prefer the Cliffs anyday over the Badlands and Tom Wimberly and the gang are a blast. If you go to the cliffs find Tom he will be more than happy to show you a great time.

I agree trail 21 is kool........I made it....

Leaving for comp number 3 Saturday night. Hannibal RROCK Team #207

Bryan
Crystal Lake Il

#27 · (Edited)
I prefer the rocks so that's why I don't care for the Cliffs too much. most of it is just slop in a V notch. I'm not into the muddy thing. it is fun in the winter though.

for technical stuff, Hannibal is the way to go (I agree) for around here. other than that, then go SE or out west for better stuff.

JMO ;)

good luck Bryan. be safe and kick some ass

#29 ·
Ya oughta try Hannibal Rocks- there is some good stuff there, especially when you consider how 'land-limited' they are. You should also check out the Two Rivers Jeep Club site @ TRJC.com. I wheeled Sat. with a great group on a scheduled event on private property. No rocks on this trail, but other trails have some hairy rock areas.

#30 ·
Illinois

thanks for all the info guy keep it all comming ... by the way the cliffs is having there toyota jamboree this weekend 25.26.27 Im going to be there. im taking both of my toyotas (I hope) I will be there the 26 for sure and maybe the 27th.

as far as Rocky Glenn in Rockford!! we are still a go! just need to find a date! the sign on the gate says - no trucks - no fishing - no tresspassing - but i tell you what last night within an hour i caught 2 14'' small mouth and 1, 14'' largy. and the jetski is fun in the lake there.. .... ...... !

when is a good time!! is has to be some time during the week like after 2 or 3

#31 ·
I will see you the 27th if you go, I will be at Cliffs.

thanks for all the info guy keep it all comming ... by the way the cliffs is having there toyota jamboree this weekend 25.26.27 Im going to be there. im taking both of my toyotas (I hope) I will be there the 26 for sure and maybe the 27th.

as far as Rocky Glenn in Rockford!! we are still a go! just need to find a date! the sign on the gate says - no trucks - no fishing - no tresspassing - but i tell you what last night within an hour i caught 2 14'' small mouth and 1, 14'' largy. and the jetski is fun in the lake there.. .... ...... !

when is a good time!! is has to be some time during the week like after 2 or 3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.