Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i cannot get my jeep to crank over. all that happens is the relay makes a hard clicking noise. the relay is brand new, the starter is brand new and the battery is fully charged and hooked up to a 420 amp charger/booster. all of the immediate wires are hooked up.

84 cj7, 258,

help!

·
Premium Member
9,331 Posts
mine was the ground wire terminal end when this happened. it would be fine for a while then do this then be fine then act up, i got a new wire and its been fine since

·
Registered
251 Posts
Did you make sure the starter is shimmed right when you installed it? You could be pushing too hard against the flywheel. I would try first bypassing all electrical connections with some jumper cables hooked diectly to the starter. If it cranks you know it is one of your connections. If it doesn't, pull the starter and bench test it, be careful because it will jump around when all that torque hits. If the starter checks out, either your flywheel is locked up for some reason or the starter was improperly shimmed.

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,815 Posts
did you try dragging it in gear to make shure the negine does turn, and there isnt something else hanging it up?

Make triple shure the battery leads are on well. We just had an ambulance do that, new batteries, but the leads were still a bit corroded and it would click then die.

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
siezed motor? Wrong starter teeth? New....but bad starter (happened to me before)???

try and arc the starter on the starter w/ the inspection plate off so you can see wtf is happening

·
Premium Member
9,331 Posts
yes mine was the neg batt cable. I rolled it down the hill here at school (big hill) getting up to 35mph dropping hte clutch and mine wouldnt start.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was playing in the mud...i got out to wash it off and left it running...it died...i tried to start it back up for a long time but it wouldent eventually it just stopped cranking, nothing worked lights, fan nothing. so i towed it home (thank god for the flat tow bar!) replaced starter, battery, and solenoid. and it just slicks when i try and start it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mine was the Positive battery cable. Got so coroded on the terminal end under the insulation it wouldnt let enough juice flow. Check/replace both battery cables and starter cable.

·
Registered
417 Posts
OK, if you think about it, if none of the electrics work, then you have an open circuit somewhere. If you have a voltmeter, turn on the key and turn on the lights to apply some sort of load.
Put one lead on the frame/engine block and the other on the negative terminal of the battery. It should read virtually zero volts. It it reads 12 volts the negative cable from the battery to the ground is shot. Check from the frame to the engine block. That should also read 0 volts. If all that is fine. Start from the frame to the + on the battery. It should read 10-14volts. Keep the connection on the frame and start walking the other lead to each place the + goes. If the voltage drops to 0 then you just passed your open. Don't know about wiring on that vintage of jeep, but the newer ones have fuseable links, short pieces of wire, close to the battery. They routinely corrode and crap out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts