Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a small Lincoln mig, and a oxy-acet. torch set. I also have a heavy duty sawzall and a big ass drill press that are my dads that are mine to use any time I want. The next thing I need is some accurate way to make straight cuts. I am thinking either a 14" chop saw, or a portaband. What do you guys think? And before anyone suggests plasma cutter, yeah, I want one, but I am broke as hell.:D

·
Registered
195 Posts
chop saw. if your really tight use a circular saw. porta bands are hard to cut a straight line.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rocraven said:
chop saw. if your really tight use a circular saw. porta bands are hard to cut a straight line.
What about putting a chop saw wheel in a miter saw? My dad used to do carpentry and has a nice miter saw.

·
Vendor
2,021 Posts
Hey Josh, If you look around you can find a fairly good metal cutting bandsaw. They make good cuts but are slower than a chop saw. If you go the chop saw route don't skimp, get a good one. You can really do alot with a good grinder, chop saw, welder and torch.

Travis
www.roarkfabworks.com

·
Registered
407 Posts
The miter saw is probably too fast. Check the RPM on the saw and the blades, they don't like spinning too fast. Also, many wood saws will be eaten alive by metal cutting, if it has plastic parts around the blade, forget about it.

I agree with tubehead, if you get a chop saw, get a good one. I got the cheap HF one, and it works but it sucks. If I had to do it again, I would have saved up and gotten a better one. When I blow up my HF POS, I'll be shopping for a better one, maybe even a cold-cut saw.

When fabbing, I find the chop saw very usefull. It's worth considering.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would a chop saw in the $200-$300 range be a good one? What are good sites to look at metal working tools?

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
try ebay. alot of the used equipment dealers also have links to their complete inventory of used stuff

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
go with a band saw because they will cut on their own while you do other things and turn off after completing a cut/ speeding up your fab projects

·
Vendor
2,021 Posts
We had a Mikata at M.O.R.E. but now I have a Milwaukee. It was only like $200 at Lowes and I use the crap out of it. Check out Mitler Bros. or Van Sant. Both have good stuff but sorta expensive, but you get what you pay for. Your only about an hour from me so you might want to check out Industrial Machinery, they are in Columbus. That is where I bought my ironworker. They have quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
v6toy4x said:
go with a band saw because they will cut on their own while you do other things and turn off after completing a cut/ speeding up your fab projects
I would love to have a horizontal band saw, but I simply do not have the floor space for it. They are real nice though.

Tubehead: I work at my local Lowe's and its good to hear I can get something decent there and use my discount. This really isn't something I am gonna be using a ton. I am a shadetree fabricator. Gonna build myself and a buddy bumpers and sliders and stuff, and small stuff here and there.

·
Vendor
2,021 Posts
Off topic but you ever head to livingston? There are a few off us going down at the end of the month to do some practicing for ERoCC. Don't have a lot of time. Just putting the new buggy back together. Then heading to Moab for a week then back for ERoCC.

Lowes was $50 cheaper than my welding supply store on the chop saw.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Used to go to Livingston frequently when I had my 4Runner. I got rid of it last summer and got my TJ, and am starting over. I have only wheeled it once, and now that I have a payment I am building on a tight budget. I would love to go with you guys and watch some time if I am off work.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I think a great unit to have is a Burr King. You can find them on ebay, but they are pricey.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
seriously check out your used tool dealer before you make any purchases, I have had as good or better luck with repaired power tools as I have had with brand new POS's. Chop saws are cool as are band saws. Personally I think I would get the band because they seem to deflect less, and you can just press power and let it go. There is alot to be said about being able to be lazy.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
FWIW I would like to get a bandsaw now.

I have used my chop saw plenty, but it is just not as accurate, and true as a bandsaw.
Bandsaw is slower but its worth it IMO.

Also,I have plenty of refurbished power tools....no problems with them and saved me a ton of money up front.

HTH

MJ

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a portaband, and am exceptionally good at making straight cuts with it. Most people cannot cut anywhere close to straight with one. I wouldn't get a chop saw. They are noisy, cut crooked, and make a mess (and I've only used good ones, never a HF model). I think anyone who says "get a chopsaw" has never used a bandsaw. If I were you, I'd get the HF bandsaw for $199.

Here's a good thread:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122626&highlight=band+saw

Oh.....and try using the search. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I like my chopsaw for a quick, rough work....but can never get it to cut a decent 90*.

What about one of the newer DeWalt/Milwaukee multi-cutters? There was a big thread a while back.

Agree with bandsaw over chopsaw if thse are the only options

1 - 20 of 31 Posts