Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't get my head straight at the moment.
I'm thinking of putting a coil over setup in front of an IFS Nissan to eliminate the stock torsion bars. I want to keep the 4WD and therefor have not much room to use the stock mounting place of the stock shock on the lower A-arm which will be too weak anyway. Now I think of placing the coil overs at the upper A-arms (tubular ones, custom made) and use all the space I can get inside the fenders to put some shock hoops on the frame and cross brace them left to right also.
My main concern are the balljoints now. Just thinking about the stock balljoints for now, would a setup like this add more stress to the upper balljoints ? The stock t-bars are connected to the lower A-arms, the uppers are just there to hold the spindle basically. The new setup would have the lower A-arms swing freely and havin the uppers hold all the suspension.
Switching to johnny joints will be later on.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Speaking from Toyotas, which have the torsions off the top, some of the early locally built trucks that retained the IFS for jumping and highspeed stuff was built with shocks off the upper A-arms. If I remeber right I saw a picture on the blue coyote site a while ago of a truck they were building with a CO off the upper A arm for a class 7s Truck.

If your worried about upper balljoints and your building a new upper a arm maybe think about building uniballs into the arm instead of ball joints. That and maybe strengthen the upper A arm mounts.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your worried about upper balljoints and your building a new upper a arm maybe think about building uniballs into the arm instead of ball joints. That and maybe strengthen the upper A arm mounts.
The uniballs will go in there anyway at anytime later, for the beginning I try to keep the stock balljoints for as long as possible

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Non-load bearing ball joints won't last long if you make bear a load. Could you use a long rod end on the coil-over so the spring bucket is above the half-shaft?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Non-load bearing ball joints won't last long if you make bear a load. Could you use a long rod end on the coil-over so the spring bucket is above the half-shaft?
That was my thought also. Squeezing the coilovers thru the tight space between the axle shaft and the upper A-arm will be a major PITA.
The whole setup looks like this right now (minus the coils):

The plan is something like this:

In the last picture you can see the stock mounting of the shock on the lower A-arm and the new mounting place for the coil over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts