Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I somehow wandered into Doc's AK build thread... and dammit now I want to build one too:evil:

(http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638505)

I've done enough basic reading on various AK websites and at least know about 25% of WTF I'm reading half the time:laughing:

I know I want something chambered in 5.45x39... mainly because of cost and the lower recoil(for the wife to shoot after the pregnancy)... and I like the look of the AK74s over the AK47s magazine angle/curves/whatever.

I was super enthused about getting a parts kit and stamping my own receiver flat from www.ak-builder.com but what I want is a quality gun in the end that accurate and "feels" like it's a quality piece. The main issue I'm having is discerning a good parts kit from what to stay away from... or should I just buy up all the small parts separately? Cost isn't a huge factor, I just want to keep it reasonable... as in under $600ish total. The other big issue I've seen is finding a good barrel for the 5.45x39 round... I've read mixed reviews on US made barrels, and there was one site I found with them at like $280 or so:barf:

For the price though, I'm also thinking about getting a Saiga and converting it over to the standard AK configuration and make it accept normal 30rd mags... From my understanding the Saigas are very good quality rifles to start with, so spending $150 to convert it and a few hours to get what I want may net me more bang for my buck?

Anybody have any input or suggestions? For that matter, if any FFLs have any of the above stuff or similar available for sale, please PM me with prices.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The only thing gained by building from a flat is not having to do a FFL transfer - still a lot of work for a non fully heat treated receiver. Parts kits with original barrels are also expensive and hard to find but the last time I checked whatacountry.com had bulgarian kits with bulgarian barrels. If you are intent on building from a kit check out nodakspud or 74ullc for the best receivers. Keep in mind the cost of jigs and tools plus refinishing to do a kit build.

I am convince that for the money plus work involved and the quality of the end product that the saiga conversion is where its at.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I am convince that for the money plus work involved and the quality of the end product that the saiga conversion is where its at.
This.

Unless you REALLY want to build your own from the ground up.

Saiga:

-good quality receiver
-good quality foreign made barrel
-completely new (most parts kits are used somewhat)

You'll still have a lot of latitude with furniture, sights, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
This.

Unless you REALLY want to build your own from the ground up.

Saiga:

-good quality receiver
-good quality foreign made barrel
-completely new (most parts kits are used somewhat)

You'll still have a lot of latitude with furniture, sights, etc.
And no welding!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys... yeah I was pretty much leaning towards the Saiga conversion... I suppose it would be good to start with a working and functioning rifle in my hands rather than start with a bag of parts and hope that internet instructions and dimensions are correct:laughing:

Now... who has the best deals on them right now? Any PBB vendors?

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
If you can stand the waiting time for a backorder, JG sales has 5.45 saigas for a screaming price right now. Do the conversion yourself, and you'll be into a 5.45 AK for quite a bit less than you can buy or build one yourself these days...

I've got a nice stash of 5.45 kits just waiting on me to spend some time with them... and some money with AK-builder... :laughing:

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Thanks guys... yeah I was pretty much leaning towards the Saiga conversion... I suppose it would be good to start with a working and functioning rifle in my hands rather than start with a bag of parts and hope that internet instructions and dimensions are correct:laughing:

Now... who has the best deals on them right now? Any PBB vendors?
classic arms has them for $299 right now

http://classicarms.us/Saiga.htm

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
If you can stand the waiting time for a backorder, JG sales has 5.45 saigas for a screaming price right now. Do the conversion yourself, and you'll be into a 5.45 AK for quite a bit less than you can buy or build one yourself these days...

I've got a nice stash of 5.45 kits just waiting on me to spend some time with them... and some money with AK-builder... :laughing:
:eek: $300 might need to get a couple :)

·
Registered
5,510 Posts
Hrmmm, interesting, going to order a 5.45 for SWMBO.

Will the standard conversion kits work for all calibers?

·
Premium Member
17,878 Posts
Not really. Each one is a little different. Go to the Dinzag site, he's got all the caliber specific stuff.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I just bought a 223 from a LGS, been looking at the conversion stuff. I cant decide how I want to go about it. The saiga stuff seems to be well made, at least compared to the AKs I've looked at around here. Another LGS I went in yesterday had a 5.45 for 365. If I had the spare cash I would've bought it too.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why, when they are $299 plus $25 shipping?
I can't answer for the other guy... but I would gladly pay an extra few bucks for the ability to inspect stuff in person... not to mention you also have to factor in FFL transfer fees... which may or may not get you that much closer to the $365. Plus supporting local business and all that.

Anyways... now I just gotta convince the wife to let me buy a rifle when we get back from our cruise:smokin:

·
Registered
968 Posts
I can't answer for the other guy... but I would gladly pay an extra few bucks for the ability to inspect stuff in person... not to mention you also have to factor in FFL transfer fees... which may or may not get you that much closer to the $365. Plus supporting local business and all that.
Well if you look at all the places with 299 deals they are all out of stock. Minimum ffl transfer fee around here is 25 so it's not really much different. I like to check stuff out before I buy whenever possible and I'll buy locally if the price is close.

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
I suspect Saiga prices will dip again in the next month or two.
I hope you're right. I know that the prices went all nutty because of Saiga playing the "we'll pick a new importer" game.

I really want a 5.45 saiga, but just don't have the cash right now.

makes me sad. I want to shoot the cheap surplus too!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts