Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm weak, give me a solid reason to keep the cruiser

I have cut and welded a new floor in. I have done a soa and sr. It still needs kingpin bearings, new rear axle seals, driveshafts, lots of body and paint work. Re-wiring of some things, to name a few. I have spent at least 40 hours of work to this thing and still can't drive it. AHHHHHHH!

I have the mechanical know how, but am getting tired of working on this thing. Sell or be more patient? Words of wisdom are needed

Shaun

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Only 40 hours :eek: you have lots more to go :flipoff2:

The reason you need to keep it is because it is a Cruiser
do you need any other reason:D

Just take a break for a few days, then put in another hundred or so hours till you can drive it.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
ROCK HUGGER said:
Only 40 hours :eek: you have lots more to go :flipoff2:

The reason you need to keep it is because it is a Cruiser
do you need any other reason:D

Just take a break for a few days, then put in another hundred or so hours till you can drive it.

yea................what he said:flipoff2:

40 hrs sheat, most of us have spent more time that that fawkin' up something then starting all over

Butch

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Sounds to me like you should $ell it fast and get into something more interesting before it bores you to death:skull:

Oh wait, you asked for a solid reason to keep your Cruiser............

Toyota Land Cruisers are the most bad ass 4wd rigs ever made.

'

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
A friend uses the addage " The devil ya know is better than the devil ya don't"
You know what has been done to this one, and what needs to. If you start over with another truck- you have no idea what has or needs to be done.
Sounds like you are mostly there, and just need some time away from it. Go to the best looking cruiser thread for inspiration.

Think of it this way- could you buy a cruiser set up like yours for what would sell yours for. Probably not. If you sold it, you would be kicking yourself in a month, and looking for another one to piss money into, and redo all the things you have already done.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
40 hours?!?!? geeeez....I wish they could be done that quick!! I dump over 10 a week into mine just for fun, lotsa little things, but my TBI motor swap and the associated stuff has probably 20 hours a week in for the past 10 weeks straight....(LOTS of associated stuff keeps coming up....)

If ya don't enjoy working on it, don't. Sell it to someone who does.

The only social thing I like better than wrenchin is wheelin....I'd rather be in a weld-smoke filled garage with greasy fingers and bleeding knuckles than anywhere else....

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
woody said:
I'd rather be in a weld-smoke filled garage with greasy fingers and bleeding knuckles than anywhere else....
Amen to that!

Really though... You have the knowledge, but do you have the desire? Mechanic's cars are typically pretty ratty for this reason. They are tired of working on other people's junk all day, and don't wanna screw with theirs!

But if you're like most of us, I can't afford to pay a guy to do all the work to make mine trail ready...so we do it even if we don't want to sometimes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You're never going to be free. Go ahead and sell it. You'll be back and it'll cost you more the next time. I tried to get out once. Cost me thousands.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Shit, if it comes down to selling it, hook me up! I'm here in calgary, my cruiser is in BC and I'd love to have another. PM me if you're serious about selling it. I've had my cruiser for 8 years and I miss it to death right now. It's been too long since I've been able to drive it. I was in the process of changing the frame and I moved to go back to school.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I don't usually reply to a lot of these questions...unless one is asked directly of me...but I need to start doing it more. So here is my input.

Sometimes I find myself wondering what I would be doing if I wasn't working on my cruiser. What did I do before hand that was so great? What was I giving up????

The answer was simple. I have tons of energy, and tend to get bored real easy. I would drive my wife nuts because I would make us do stuff all the time. She just wanted to come home from work and kick back. Now, she gets to.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Here's my .02 worth....

Somthing must have sparked an interest to begin with otherwise you wouldn't have gotten this far.

I would never sell another Land Cruiser, I've done it a few times in the past and I've always regretted it. The thing is that every year that passes Cruisers get a little tougher to find and the price just keeps going up.

Any fool can go out and buy a Jeep but there's no pride in that.
If you build yourself a Cruiser, now that's not only a source of pride but a great feeling of accomplishment, and believe me it gets better with every modification you do.

My cruiser wouldn't win no prize but at least it's mine and I built everything on it at one time or another. It goes where I want it to go and it does what I want it to do. Also by wheelin my Cruiser I've met some of the best friends anyone could ask for. I wouldn't trade that for the world !

The bottom line is that there is a commitment and you have to decide for yourself if it's worth it. Only you can make that decision.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
One more thing, if you get a chance to read the Sept./Oct. 2002 issue of Toyota Trails, look at the article called Cruiser Musings, The Spark, on page 38.
I think we've all experienced this at one time or another.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I may not be the right person to answer this because I can't even imagine life without a Land Cruiser, it's a part of who I am. But I'm going to be frank, if you don't enjoy the short hours you've put into it so far, you might was well sell it, because this is as good as it gets! Working on my Land Cruiser is a form of therapy for me, nothing takes care of a bad day at work like a couple of hours working on the Cruiser, and very few things come close to the sense of accomplishment after getting a Cruiser project done, no matter how small. I just recently spent three very cold hours replacing various coolant and fuel hoses on the radiator and engine. No tangible results, the truck ran exactly the same before and after, it's not better on the trail, but I still had a sense of accomplishment. In the last two weeks I've spent countless hours preparing for an onboard air installation, everything from cleaning and overhauling the York compressor to spending at least three hours inside the engine compartment measuring and remeasuring and trying to visualize where everything is going to go. I love it, I love the planning, I love the execution, and I love when the modification comes in handy on the trail.

Take a step back, take a deep breath, ask yourself why you got into Cruisers, why you got into this particular project, why you're losing patience or interest. Also ask yourself what you think you'll do if you sell the truck. Will you get another one? Will you get out of it altogether? Go to another brand?

If you're honest to yourself when you answer, you'll do the right thing. Good luck!

·
Registered
738 Posts
The only social thing I like better than wrenchin is wheelin....I'd rather be in a weld-smoke filled garage with greasy fingers and bleeding knuckles than anywhere else....
I'm the same way (to a fault). It is to the point where a lot of my customers know they gan get me in the shop as late as 11:00 pm and at least two nights a week I'm there untill 2:00 AM or later.
I love it.

However...If I get sick of a project (never a cruiser) I find that it's helpful to try to work on it 30 min. a day. If I do that, I don't get so burnned out but the rig shows progress...which eventually motivate me to hurry the f&% up and finish it.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Keep it, I have had my FJ-40 since I was 15 (I am a young 23 now) and it is still so far from done it isnt even funny. I still need to do some kind of motor with fuel injection, SOA, Body mods for the Wheelbase increase, A decent spare tire rack, A decent cage(mine is terrible), Rebuild some sort of upgraded transmission and add a toybox.

I bought it at 15, but I only drove it into the garage, then the work began, got it running and driveable at 17 and had to replace the frame at 20.

It never ends, but that is part of the fun!!!

Oh and I still want to rewire it, repaint it, add onboard air (besides my ARB compressor), add rock lighting blah blah blah blah blah.

I am looking forward to every greasy minute of it.:D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Shaun, Weren't you the one that said what fun is it to buy something already done??? :confused:
Take a break and get back at it.

I think Shaun used to be a Jeep guy so that argument isn't going to work guys.

40 hours is nothing. The reward is worth the wait. :beer:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
YAH, SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO GET ON THE "MATT PLAN" ITS BASICALLY BINGE WORKING ON YOUR CRUISER. YOU WORK ON IT FOR AWHILE, THEN YOU GET TIRED OF IT, AND YOU GO AND DO SOMETHING ELSE FOR A MONTH. THEN YOU GO CAMPING AND REALIZE HOW BAD YOU WANT YOUR CRUISER RUNNING, AND YOU PUT IN ANOTHER MONTH AND A HALF OF ASS-KICKER WORK IN, UNTIL YOU START TO GET TIRED OF IT AGAIN. THEN YOU GET STOKED ON SKIING, AND GO SKI FOR 2 MONTHES. SO THEN YOU REALISE THIS WINTER IS SUCKING MAJORLY, AND HOW BAD YOU WANT YOUR CRUISER RUNNING, SO YOU THROW IN ANOTHER MONTH OR TWO OF HARD WORK.

HOW MANY CYCLES IT TAKES TILL YOU DONE DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH WORK YOU NEED, AND HOW MUCH ASS YOU KICK WHEN YOUR WORKING ON IT.

MATT :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Keep It

Simply put, regret sucks. I regret so many vehicles I got rid of due to boredom, and usually by then the price to replace it is far greater than if you kept it. I've been working on my 59 Willys for 12 years on and off. I've driven it maybe 50 times. But I'm back at it again and loving every minute of it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts