Pirate 4x4 banner

iMPAKS wrangler build.. no more XJ

34322 Views 121 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  Gravy
Well after having my XJ for over 11 years and after the barrel roll at DPG it is finally time to retire it and build something new..

I am in no hurry so this may take a while..

but the gist is YJ frame, YJ tube, CJ grill and hood, 9" rear axle, hi-9 front axle on air shocks, linked, low on 38 TSL's

old XJ build if you are bored:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353716

tonight a few buddies came over and helped me get frame into garage so I can start getting it prepped and ready for work/fab.

first order is move a few things around in the garage and get frame setup so I can clean the frame then next will be fix tub and get that ready to go on frame, then the fun starts

Hood and grill

tub
See less See more
101 - 120 of 122 Posts
Id clock that 300 up one more notch
Id clock that 300 up one more notch
after looking at it today I thought the same thing :)
Looking good, wish I'd have figured up a way to "skin" corners and stay full bodied.
Looking good, wish I'd have figured up a way to "skin" corners and stay full bodied.
well next is to connect body with tube chassis and if that goes as planned then I can really start moving forward
I like the path this project has taken as I now know Im not the only one.

I took a decent looking YJ in to do a simple SOA, then cut all the brackets off that I had made cause I bought some coilovers. Then I cut the frame in half cause the frames are too wide, then I scrapped that frame and built a new one. Wheeled it three times and cut it apart again to change shit yet again.
well got front axle in place and tacked in lower arms and started on upper arms and noticed I need 2 more johnny joints..also next is tranny mount and then start bracing all the mounts so I can roll this around and move it over to the side some..

See less See more
Well now that I am caught up n other projects it is time to get back to the jeep..

I had to brace all the rear link mounts so I could spin the jeep around and made half a truss for rear upper links.. will continue more on that.
I also sent Andy @ Ironman4x4fab my front lower links so he could drill them out and tap them for johnny joints.. so once I get those back from him I will get front axle in and then start bracing and doing more on tube frame..

here are some pics of how it sits now

See less See more
well had about 15 mins in shop today so I bolted on rear quarter panels

See less See more
Man I have never changed paths so many times in a build before.. but I have done it again :)

After much discussion and looking at the amount of time I really have to tackle this build I realized I could either stay on track and in a few years be done and have a sweet ride or I could sell a bunch of what I have and just buy a wrangler that is slightly modified and wheel it and have fun and do other mods to that one down the road..

so I listed most of this stuff for sale I kept: axles, rims, inner locks, air shocks and dana 300.. everything is GONE..

I found a nice wrangler and I pick it up friday afternoon..

Here are a few pics of new jeep that I can wheel have fun and then mod later on.. but this way I get back on the trails with the family and kids asap

See less See more
Good deal Ken, that one looks like it'll do the job just fine!
Ditch the stinger, and maybe stretch the rear. Looks like a nice addition.
ya I would get rid of those shackles to. don't blame you though mine has been down for years and I miss wheeling
it will change and I will make it my own.. but more then likely not gonna mess to much with it till this winter..

shackles will go away and it will get linked with air shocks..

but for now I will put my winch on it and wheel it..
Well we took out the jeep for 1st time as a family, and they loved it.. so this has turned out to be great..

and here is one of those little things you did not notice when you buy something but find out after and just smile.. fenders can rotate out of the way to work on engine..

Trust me down the road this will get more "hardcore" but for now just little stuff will be added..
See less See more
Corbin decided he wanted to help me work on jeep last night :)

See less See more
well spent the last 3 nights building a rear bumper, modifying a tire carrier, adding a winch, a battery box and the last thing I need to do is mess with the axle disconnect tomorrow night.. going to test the jeep this sat at URE

rear bumper

winch added

rear bumper with tire carrier and cooler rack (going more expedition since the family needs to fit inside the jeep)

See less See more
well I have been watching all these youtube videos on Plasti Dip and really wanted to try it and see how it does..

so I got some paint and went to town..
You will notice I did not tape of windshield or rear bumper as I wanted to use those as my test removable area..
I do like the product but my gun was not spraying it correctly(going on to light)so I am not 100% satisfied. So I am gonna mess with it some more tomorrow.

See less See more
well I borrowed my buddies other spray gun and used the last 1 gallon I had to finish it off..

here it is done.. ( I do need to clean off rock rails and rear bumper etc but I will do that later this week

See less See more
I really like the matte orange. It says '70s badass to me. I'm inspired. :grinpimp:
here is how it pulls off

had to pull off the flare area due to rubbing them on trees this past weekend wheeling

Plasti dip jeep wrangler yj - YouTube
101 - 120 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.