Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a good boy and done several searches for everything I can think of that's related so forgive me if this is a re-hash.

I'm looking for ways I can improve my shackle angle to hopefully improve my ride a bit. Actually, my truck rides really well IMO, but I think it could be better.

Anyone have any suggestions other than the obvious, like get longer springs or move my shackle hangers? Those are the only options I can think of, but maybe someone else has something else that would help.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Let's see... you're looking for improved ride, you want to keep running those 37's or bigger, and you're willing to do some fabrication? Give it up, Adam, time to come over to the Dark Side.....

SPRING IT OVER!!!!:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, I know, I'm in denial. I promise one day it will get the spring over. I'm definitely NOT opposed to it. I just can't justify the time and money at the moment.

That being said, anyone interested in some 5" Alcans for a FJ40?:p

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've figured it out! I have recruited no less than 3 fellow club members to ride with me on the next several trail runs. Their combined weight is probably in the neighborhood of 700 lbs+. Should help my springs soften up some more and let the shackles relax a bit. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Go to woody site, IH8mud.com, it really isnt a tough mod to improve the rear shackle angle, while you are at it, modify it for a Johnny joint.

P.S. I am in Bountiful, When is your next meeting open to possible future members?

Dan:)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
lol....3 guys with good backs..... (so far) lol

I relocated the hangers on mine and it made a HUGE ride improvement. So good, I did a tech writeup on it....

Hopefully, you know where to look....lol :D

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've done a lot of thinking about the whole JJ thing, and I see a couple problems. The Orbit-Eyes from AOR seem like the best approach to me, but it requires a larger diameter spring eye to fit the joint into the spring.

The All-pro ones a ok but I don't like the idea of the joint being at the top of the shackle (in the hanger) because it allows the entire spring to shift out of its natural alignment. Probably not a good thing on a daily driver.

Frankly, I don't mind the old-school approach with just some good shackles and bushings. One day I'll build another truck and go a bit crazier with it. This particular 40 isn't the one I want to go NUTS with. I'm pleased that it gets me everywhere I want to take it.:D

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I relocated the hangers on mine and it made a HUGE ride improvement. So good, I did a tech writeup on it....

Brian, I just checked out your writeup. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm working on rebuilding my tire carrier this weekend but if I can knock it out quicker than anticipated, I just might tackle the relocation of my shackle hangers.

One question, I noticed you made the mod while you were still using your SUA Skyjackers. Did you change the hangers again when you did your SOA or did you just leave them in the new "forward" position?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
custom located ALL the hangers to still allow for the 45 degree angle....I went from Skyjacker FJ40 4" packs to flat FJ55 rear packs, so not moving them might have left me with a shackle parallel to the springs.

(that's not quite enuf angle...lol)

IIRC, I simply spun the rears around...would have to look to remember, plus remember how they are supposed to be....lol

·
5,906 Posts
try this

Box Rocket said:
The Orbit-Eyes from AOR seem like the best approach to me, but

The All-pro ones a ok but I don't like the idea of the joint being at the top of the shackle (in the hanger)

Frankly, I don't mind the old-school approach with just some good shackles and bushings.
It won't help the ride but,
Take your shackles and make a slot in the bottom hole. Extend the hole about an 1/8" on the bottom of the bottom hole. when the spring moves it will allow the pin to rotate in the shackle. little or no cost to you and no extra parts to break.

Scott

·
Registered
308 Posts
I will take those alcans off your hands any day! make sure you post any results of your work, my shackles are at the same angle as yours. by the way i love you rig, easily on my top 10 list of cruisers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts