Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 10" Superlift springs in the front of my Ramcharger and 8" in the rear with a shackle flip (stock hangers off the front of the rear springs). I know these 10" springs aren't going to ever flex very well, but I would like more than just a few inches of travel and can't afford new springs right now. I was thinking about removing one of the leaves from the spring pack and adding a 1" 0 rate to compensate (fenders are already cut). I was also going to use shackles about 1" longer than stock on the front and maybe 2-3" longer in the rear.

My questions:
-Do you think this will make a noticeable difference in ride and flex?
-Which spring should I remove?
-Are there any other low-buck things I can do to make my suspension work better?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
go for it....

pulling a leaf will reduce the springs rate and make for a smoother ride. your springs probably have mondo arch to them also, this makes them ride rough. with that much lift you might just be outta luck! build a link suspension and run some coilovers or coils.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Remove a leaf or two, and then go wheeling. With that much arch, it's going to take a little wheeling to soften them up. If you just took a leaf out, you probably won't notice much difference, until thet've flexed a little.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have any idea as to which leaf to remove? I was thinking I would do the second from the top.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Start at the bottom so you don't weaken the whole pack. Always replace the center pins.:D :D :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good, thanks everyone. I'll make sure to measure how much travel I gain and post it on here. It won't be for another month or two though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I did it

here it is. I took out the #3 and 4 springs, there were 5 in the pack. Did the same in the rear and changed the shackles that were binding up before.

Ramcharger Flex Pics

Superlift :flipoff2:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
removing the limiting straps only got me an inch up front and 2" in the rear, they were pretty loose. I put the trac bars in because without them, the axles had a lot of side to side movement. Feels a lot more solid with them. I didn't forget about ya, I have that strap sittin on my shelf, I'll send it when I go to the post office tommorow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts