Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm well overdue for a cage! I've noticed how most simply bolt over the body mount. Strong yes but I'm nervous about a really hard fall or launch. Some have told me that if you tie into your frame or sliders the firewall will eventually crack. Is this true? I'd feel much safer making everything solid.

ps: if this is true that sucks cause I wanted to tie my cage to the A and B pillars with sheet metal!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Kinda defeats the purpose of have cab bushings. Cab and chassis were design to flex a little seperately. Solid mounting can start tearing/cracking sheet metal. Hard to say when or if(depending on abuse) it will crack

Often thought about some kind of rubber spring bushing mounting to the frame. Having the body between two plates, cage to one plate and frame mount to the other. Sounds alot easier to bolt it over the cab mounts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If I recall correctly, 4runner rick made some dampened frame mounts for his 4runner cage. You can probrbly find it in the buildups thread. Aside from posibly cracking the body you are going to transmit a huge amount of road noise into the cab if you weld an internal cage straight to the frame w/o some sort of bushing.

·
Registered
34,181 Posts
on my last truck, I just used large plates that spread the load over the top of the body mount - bolted on each side (front/back). Figured that would transfer the weight right to the body mount w/o a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
I built my old incab cage and had the A-pillars over the bodymount and the b-pillars soldi mounted to the frame. Neveh had an issue but the cab was trashed in a year do to multiple rolls.

I currently have three cages in the works for three different vehicles. One solid to the frame (Samurai), One to the floor with plates(Bronco II) and one for a scrambler that will be attached to the frame with the attached bushings to give the cage some movement. All are based on customer desires.

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I've seen that setup rick had in a photo. I'd bet it was for the vibration more than anything. Great idea but a bit much for me. I've got a solid motor mount so vibes are ok. Having the firewall rip apart faster than what it already is has me very worried.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
It would be sweet if someone can post some pic's of the tie-in. I have heard "to do it right" tie in to the frame, but mine is a DD so road noise is a factor.(safty first)
I would like too see some pics of examples of good tie-ins. I have heard of pullin the fenders off and cuttin through firewall, and runnin main pillars off of the frame, but haven't seen it.
:DCould you post pic's of your interior cage mounts:D
:grinpimp::D:smokin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts