Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i don't have one, can i just convert from in. to ft. and use a ft. lb torque wrench? or how bout conver in. to newton meters. thanks

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
1 ft lb is the same as 12 in lb, however you are going to have some serious accuraccy issues. If they are giving it to you in inch pounds, till you start dividing by 12 you are only really at a couple of foot pounds. No regular foot pound torque wrench is going to be accurate at those levels even if it will let you set a number that low.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Fish scale and 1 inch lever. when the fish scale reads (X)lbs 1 inch from the center of the bolt the have that many inch pounds. works for ft lbs too.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
ZukIzzy said:
Fish scale and 1 inch lever. when the fish scale reads (X)lbs 1 inch from the center of the bolt the have that many inch pounds. works for ft lbs too.

Wayne
Nice trick. And here I would have said an inch lb wrench of course.

I use a mac 0-75 inch lb dial type wrench, but they are pricey.

I got lucky and ordered mine through a freind who is apprenticing. He gets 50% off of all the Mac or snapon he wants.

My dad uses an oldschool beam type. If you can get your hands on one, they are usually cheap. Just tough to find.

good luck

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
bnine said:
Nice trick. And here I would have said an inch lb wrench of course.

I use a mac 0-75 inch lb dial type wrench, but they are pricey.

I got lucky and ordered mine through a freind who is apprenticing. He gets 50% off of all the Mac or snapon he wants.

My dad uses an oldschool beam type. If you can get your hands on one, they are usually cheap. Just tough to find.

good luck
Very common in Auto trany rebuild and perfomance. Not my trick learned from some crusty old Mechanic who could make his chicken coop do a 12 second quarter if he tried.

Wayne

Wayne

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Ebay has tons of inch-pound torque wrenches.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I picked up one from my local Napa. They had to order it, but had it the next day. I think it ran about $45 which seemed to be the going rate for the beam type torque wrenches. I won't be using it that much so I couldn't justify spending a couple hundred on a dial type.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts