Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
This thread has me worried, but I thought I would post some questions as you all seem to know a whole lot more than I do about this topic.

I bought a very well built 2002 Tacoma truggy, V6 auto with dual cases - an Inchworm and a stock Toyota case. I suspect the truck was built around 2007 give or take and I bought it a few years back. It has been super reliable and a great truck to tackle some really hard trails.

However, this past weekend in Montrose, CO I crunched one of the transfer cases. I am not sure which one just yet as I have not torn it apart, but I am hoping its the rear one. The outputs seem pretty loosey-goosey so I hope its the stock case that bit the dust.

If it turns out it was the Inchworm that broke, what are my options? Doesn't sound like parts exist anymore.

I hope I can put this truck back together as it has been a great truck.

More than likely it is your back case as it will have substantially more load on it. There are still options with Marlin and Trailgear if not. Go search their websites..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why don't you take it apart first and see what broke first? :homer:
Fair comment. I am waiting for my friend's shop to clear out a bit and then I will tear it apart. Just wanted to get a head start on this stuff if possible.

More than likely it is your back case as it will have substantially more load on it. There are still options with Marlin and Trailgear if not. Go search their websites..
I think you are right that it is the back case. I just wish I knew what the back case actually is. Not sure if it is an RF1A or not. I emailed Marlin about buying their dual case setup but they said it is not possible to clock if flat. My current set up has the rear case clocked flat with a nice flat belly skid. I would hate to give that up and have the t case hanging down dragging on rocks.

·
Registered
12,604 Posts
Nope, by Low Range which is a vendor for many companies products but a main vendor for TG!!
Low range bought imchworm and trail gear bought low range.......

Im not so sure, I have been seeing way more crawl box, dual case adapter failures lately. I think a lot of it is heat, guys want to throw the first case in low and bomb around which can heat up the crawl box.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I looked for inchworm when I got back into the sport after a few years away. I was shocked to see he was bought out and the clockable cases were gone. I wheeled with Jim and Bud from Budbuilt years ago very nice guys. Took Marshalls case apart on the side of the trail and fixed it so he could keep wheeling.

I do remember checking Marlin for the clocked adapter they used to produce but they don't make the R10 adapter anymore and if they did it wouldn't be in stock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Low range bought imchworm and trail gear bought low range.......

Im not so sure, I have been seeing way more crawl box, dual case adapter failures lately. I think a lot of it is heat, guys want to throw the first case in low and bomb around which can heat up the crawl box.
I talked to a local Toyota builder and thinks its the crawl box as well. He also identified the tcase for me. Turns out it is the stock chain driven tcase that came in the truck from the factory.

I looked for inchworm when I got back into the sport after a few years away. I was shocked to see he was bought out and the clockable cases were gone. I wheeled with Jim and Bud from Budbuilt years ago very nice guys. Took Marshalls case apart on the side of the trail and fixed it so he could keep wheeling.

I do remember checking Marlin for the clocked adapter they used to produce but they don't make the R10 adapter anymore and if they did it wouldn't be in stock.
Sorry for the stupid question, but I am new to this Toyota stuff. So the clocking is in the adapter? I see Trail Gear sells a Tacoma crawl box, but my set up is clocked flat. I suppose their crawl box / adapter is not going to be clocked like my current set up.

I need to tear this thing down to see what broke. I hope its the rear case as that at least is something I can hunt down and replace.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Yes, that particular adapter that Eric referenced was able to be clocked.
As log as something in the adapter isnt FUBAR, either case could be replaced fairly easily

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, that particular adapter that Eric referenced was able to be clocked.
As log as something in the adapter isnt FUBAR, either case could be replaced fairly easily
Thanks. Yes, I tracked down the part number for the rear case and every single part in it is still available from Toyota. So rebuilding it should not be an issue.

It sounds like you are saying that if the adapter was still good, I could if I needed to, replace the Inch Worm case with a marlin or trail gear crawl box. And still retain the clocked adapter. Do I have that right?

I crawled under the truck today and checked the rear output yoke from the tcase. There is definitely something cowshit inside as the output yoke moves up and down and side to side with a ridiculous amount of play - probably .25"! The guts are almost certainly broken. Which is very good news. As long as I can get parts, we can rebuild it.

Ultimately, my fall back could also be just going to an Atlas. But I wonder about how the transmission would shift without a speed input to the ECU? I don't know how I would replace the electronic speed pick up sensor on the stock tcase output. If the trans would be happy without it, I wouldn't much give a shit about the speedometer. Not sure if that trans is electronically controlled or not. Again, not a Toyota person. Built Jeeps and Vettes, but nothing in the Toyota world until this truck. (Well my wife has a Toyota with 279K on it and I have replaced many parts on it, but you know what I mean.)

thanks again for the help. much appreciated!!

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
If you mean the lexus and prerunner a340 tranny adapter to th350 AA piece to a crawl box, just get a 4wd tranny and typical plate adapter for that tail.That IW adapter has 4 bolts on non machined landings or nuts on studs. It really kinda sucks. Leak prone, loosen then stripped fastner attachments... long drivetrain...oil void in the middle you kinda wanna check often. It made me paranoid just family wheeling. The AA piece was the culprit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why don't you take it apart first and see what broke first? :homer:
Well in case anyone cares or someone is searching on this thread in the future, it was the back case that failed. The main output shaft snapped. Very nice, clean sheer break. Everything else in the case looks fine. So $75 for a new shaft and its back together.

And since I am running a clocked set up there really are no options with Marlin or Trail Gear. Nobody makes clocked adapters anymore.

Advance Adapters makes an adapter for the Atlas transfer case to bolt up to the stock Toyota transmission. They didn't answer me if they made a mechanical speedo output for the Toyota trucks, which I would then have to convert to an electrical signal. It appears TG makes a part to do just that.

So while it is back together as it was, I am now more leery than ever of breaking the adapter or the Inchworm as I will be up shit creek if either goes. At which point I would seriously consider running an Atlas if I can get the speedo output to hook up. I need to press Atlas on that question again.

I am probably going to back off on beating as hard on this truck as I have been. With parts no longer being available, it will get really expensive to convert it to an Atlas set up.

PurpleDecember, where did you ultimately end up?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ended up in shit out of luck town. I can not find any parts for the adapter. So after thinking on it i bought a trail gear adapter. Sadly i believe they will be around the longest of all the vendors and i have no desire to buy another one do to some small part i can not find. Ya ya marlins the greatest but getting a adapter from them in a reasonable amount of time is as likely as catching a leprechaun.

So as it stands now my inchworm adapter will sit on a shelf collecting dust until i stumble across the part or somoene needs it to patch theirs back together. It is a sad end to what was a great part.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
used Toyota parts

Ended up in shit out of luck town. I can not find any parts for the adapter. So after thinking on it i bought a trail gear adapter. Sadly i believe they will be around the longest of all the vendors and i have no desire to buy another one do to some small part i can not find. Ya ya marlins the greatest but getting a adapter from them in a reasonable amount of time is as likely as catching a leprechaun.

So as it stands now my inchworm adapter will sit on a shelf collecting dust until i stumble across the part or somoene needs it to patch theirs back together. It is a sad end to what was a great part.
AA adapter would be a better choice and have been around longer than all of them. Send me the pics of the broken parts I may have them

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
21 - 40 of 52 Posts