Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
The 3000 is a fork lift motor. They were also used in boats quite a bit. The 3.0L 4 cyl has been in boats for about 25 years now. They ranged from 120 to 145 hp in their marine applications. If you are really tempted to get one ask around at the local boat yards as alot of people pulled these motors to go to a V6.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
the 3000 is a cool little engine, i want one in my land rover since they are almost bolt-in:D

plus i love that 4cyl sound, call me crazy :flipoff2:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought it would be a great replacement for my tired 4 banger in my jeep... you know which trannies are easy swaps for such an engine?...

autos and manuals...

I'll admit I am just learning when it comes to engine swaps, could I implore you all for some help at learning how to identify the compatibility of engines and transmissions (any general advice)?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
they have a standard chevy boltpattern i believe... pretty much anything should be able to bolt up from a SM420 to a 700R4. i plan on using mine with a T18, when i get around to it.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Looks like they all have the standard Chevy bolt pattern so any trans that will bolt up to any Chevy V-8 or V-6 (except the 2.8) will work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
what about the ecotec 2.2 engine? they are marketing that engine hard globally, that doesn't have the standard bolt pattern, does it?

What about something like a 4L30, 60 or the 5L40?

I'm really trying to go for light weight punch and function rather than all out carnage...

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
TNToy said:
[Hank Hill] That boy ain't right...[/Hank Hill]
sorry i should clarify

i love that "farm tractor" 4cyl sound for my rig, which is basically a glorified, street legal farm tractor.

besides, to all those land rover "purists" out there it will still sound/appear 100% stock. just that instead of having the factory 60hp it will have a non factory 170hp:D

which is more than enough to push around a 3000lb truck anyways.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
You want that farm tractor sound, strait pipe any strait six. Call me crazy, but that sound gives me wood. Even my displacementally challenged 2.8 on open headers sounds cool!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts