Pirate 4x4 banner

what is the most recognisable brand of high-end comp shock (nitrogen or coilover)?

• Bilstein

Votes: 92 41.3%
  • Fox

Votes: 38 17.0%
  • Sway A Way

Votes: 55 24.7%
  • King

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • other

Votes: 11 4.9%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
who has the best brand image?

I'm talking about Image only...like when you ask someone to name a shoe, most people think of Nike. When you ask about fast food, it's McDonalds...

What name comes to mind when you think of RockCrawling shocks in nitrogen or coilover? When you vote, I would love it if you would make a short post telling me why you voted as you did.

I'm not considering regular shocks that are in addition to a seperate leaf spring or coil...I need to define this a little more...this is for the "all in one type of shock/spring like the coilover and the Fox Nitrogen...
this kind...

or this kind...

or this kind...

but NOT this kind...

Thanks in advance to everyone for voting!

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
i think that you need to distigish between shock and coilover.

shock - bilstien
coilover - king

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
mobil1syn said:
i think that you need to distigish between shock and coilover.

shock - bilstien
coilover - king
Bilstien makes a set of coilover's

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
Imkunfused said:

Bilstien makes a set of coilover's
i know however i think that they have made their presence know with their shock instead of their coilovers

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shaffer has proven the value of Bilstein coilovers on his Diablo so they definitly belong in the game.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
mobil1syn said:

i know however i think that they have made their presence know with their shock instead of their coilovers
then they'd rank pretty low on the poll :p :p

but as of right now, they are the highest

·
Registered
453 Posts
Fox has more mass market recognition. You can't walk into any mall and find a store with bilstien hoodies, stickers, shirts, gloves, etc.

·
Registered
513 Posts
rockteeth said:
Fox has more mass market recognition. You can't walk into any mall and find a store with bilstien hoodies, stickers, shirts, gloves, etc.
That is because of there involvement in dirt bikes and such. I think more people would recognize the Bilstein. Its just that moto guys will buy anything with a Brand they like on it.

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
rockteeth said:
Well, Fox Shox and Fox apparel are 2 totally different companies, for the most part. The guys are brothers I think thats about it. Also, FOX SHOX has 2 different divisions (off road and montain bike/snowmobile) on the shock end. The factories are about 400 to 500 milies from each other. FYI.

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
RedBullJeep said:
who has the best brand image?

I'm talking about Image only...like when you ask someone to name a shoe, most people think of Nike. When you ask about fast food, it's McDonalds...

What name comes to mind when you think of RockCrawling shocks in nitrogen or coilover?
Your question is kind of biased............. Who else makes a nitro shock?????? It's kind of like asking who makes the best Big Mac.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Re: industry poll on shocks

PIG said:

Your question is kind of biased............. Who else makes a nitro shock?????? It's kind of like asking who makes the best Big Mac.
My question is based on this...out of the 4 companies shown, who has the best brand image...I don't care who has the best product or even what the products are as they are all geared toward the same end...being a hard-core suspension component.

This is a simple poll to demonstrate image to a company that already has a great product and THINKS they are doing well, when really, their IMAGE is where they are lacking and they SHOULD be doing better.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think for the "common folk" Rancho has the best name recognition as a good all around shock, and bilstein has the name recognition as the next step up in quality.

Not what I believe but what i've seen.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,343 Posts
Out of the brands listed I'd have to say that the highest quality best made shocks are Bilstein or Fox. They are extremely well designed and built. All are high pressure monotubes, regardless of whether or not they are resi models.

Sway away's have nice exterior appearance, love those shiny endcaps. And emulsion shocks flat suck!

Kings has excellent customer support and very durable.

Rancho is a very nice entry level shock, particularly the 5000 series. I have found that the 9000 has 5 uncomfortable settings (9 on the 9000x)

OME's are nice, but for the price a person can buy a damn nice monotube.

I do believe that the largest problems with the above shocks has to do with the way they are tuned. The valving is not neccesarily done to the way I would prefer.

The new Rubicon Express Monotubes are very well built and tuned extremely well.

The new Edelbrock Xtreme Travel reservoir shocks are nice too, I run them on my DD and love 'em. They are getting lots of good press.

·
Registered
112 Posts
350 Samurai said:
Fox comes to mind first for me, but that may be just because I was in to motorcycles for years and years.
BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! :confused:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
rockteeth said:
BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I bet you feel like an idiot hah..........I would, but then again, I am smarter than that:p

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know guys, these answers are exactly what I was expecting and really play well into my push to companies in this sport that image is equal to the products they make if they want to appeal to the masses. Some companies are better off keeping their profile low and their product quality high, but other companies need to follow the Oakley marketing model...spending much more on marketing than on design and production as their products are good enough already, they just need to keep the buyers lining up.

SO...the FOX goodies comparo is an important one as I'm speaking of company IMAGE, not actual products. Someone saying they recognise FOX through the apparel is VERY important when you consider people are more inclined to buy brands that they recognise.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Sway Away. Never used them but they have had adds in the back of Peterson's with a pic of a coil over for as long as I can remember. Thats what I think of every time.

Good Lord people, CAN'T YOU READ. RANCHO IS NOT AN OPITION!

Kings are probably next. Fox is familar but I think of them as the moto clothes not shocks.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts