Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 431 Posts

·
Trail Tech Fab
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
All the 4L80e adapters I see, seem to have an O-ring and a raised lip. Your adapters seem to be flat where they mate to the trans.... Is this correct?

Aslo can you post pics of a 4L80e to Round NP205 kit?

The NP205 I have (pictured below) has a retainer around the input shaft. Does your adapter use this or replace this?

I think you are looking at the front side of the plate. All of our adapters have a lip or a recess to align to the transmission or t-case. This is a pic from page 1 of the TH-400 mounting plate.

The 4l80E is essentially the same with a minor diameter change for the 4l80E. You can see the locating lip. We currently supply these with a gasket. I'm digging for a 4l80E to round 205 pic but coming up dry right now. Attached is a pic of the SM 465 to Ford 205 (round face). The plate on the 205 replaces the seal/bearing retainer. The 4l80E kit would come with a new seal for your 205 input, gasket for the 4l80E, hardware, etc.

CAD photo of short 4l80E setup.

Let me know if you have any questions,
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
315 Posts
here are some pics of an original 1991 4L80e NP205 adapter.... it looks like they used an O-ring with a groove next to the locating lip...

·
Trail Tech Fab
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
You are correct that the factory adapter for the 4l80E had a machined groove for an Oring. Our standard issue kit utilizes a gasket, not an O-ring. This setup works well and when used with RTV won't ever leak. Most factory setups end up getting RTV'd together any way to ensure a good seal. This was standard practice most transmission techs. The second and main reasoning for not utilizing a oring is the material removed would be in a critical strength area of our adapter. By not having this groove in the adapter you have an extra .125" of steel supporting the adapter. While it doesn't sound like much it makes a big difference when it's the material supporting your drive line.

We can produce an adapter kit with the o-ring if you desire but it will add a little $$ to the cost since machining the grove is an addtional manufacturing seqence and is a relatively slow process.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Can you make an adapter for a late model sm465 32 spline output (originally had a 208 behind it) to a 203 range box that is flipped upside down? I may just redrill the face of the 203 and make the original adapter work but i like to have options. Is this something you can/have done?

Thanks

·
Trail Tech Fab
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Sorry for the delayed responses guys. We took a direct hit with hurricane Irene. I'm being told it will be another 7-10 days before we get power back. I spent 4 hours yesterday cutting up trees just so we could get access to the property. Unfortunately the generator is really only good for lights in the shop, production is at a stand still.

On the upside, all open orders have been shipped. I am hoping to respond to all pending questions/invoicing in the next day or two providing internet service stays up longer than 20 minutes at a time. Once again, sorry for the delay, we haven't forgotten anyone.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Trail Tech Fab
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Can you make an adapter for a late model sm465 32 spline output (originally had a 208 behind it) to a 203 range box that is flipped upside down? I may just redrill the face of the 203 and make the original adapter work but i like to have options. Is this something you can/have done?

Thanks
Most of our customers run our Diablo box instead of a traditional 203/205 doubler setup. While we can make the adapter you requested the overall investment would likely be greater all in than the Diablo that will bolt right up to your 208 adapter and 205. Do you already have the 203/205 built? The Diablo is a 2.72 ratio vs the 1.96 of the 203 box. Additionally the unit weighs in at around 45 lbs(you can pick it up with one hand, lets see you do that with a 203 range box). If you are unfamiliar with the Diablo, it uses the planetary gear set from a NP241 just like a klune or BB. Pic of the main unit shown below. Regardless of which way you want to go we can help you out. We can build a setup for any 31 or 32 spline 205, round or figure 8 pattern. Let me know what tcase you have in mind and which way you are looking to go.
Thanks,
Mike
Trail Tech Fab

Some other info.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12788829&postcount=17

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good luck with the huricane cleanup. Could you make an adapter for a 700r4 to a chevy 205 figure 8. Basicly it needs to be a th350 to 205 but 2" longer than a factory adapter on the transmission side?

·
Trail Tech Fab
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Good luck with the huricane cleanup. Could you make an adapter for a 700r4 to a chevy 205 figure 8. Basicly it needs to be a th350 to 205 but 2" longer than a factory adapter on the transmission side?
Just got power back this am. It's been a long miserable 8 days.....

700r4 to figure 8 205 is a very popular application for us. This adapter kit runs $325 shipped and to your point is nearly identical to the th350 adapter except longer. All of our kits include gaskets/seals and required hardware. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
288 Posts
Most of our customers run our Diablo box instead of a traditional 203/205 doubler setup. While we can make the adapter you requested the overall investment would likely be greater all in than the Diablo that will bolt right up to your 208 adapter and 205. Do you already have the 203/205 built? The Diablo is a 2.72 ratio vs the 1.96 of the 203 box. Additionally the unit weighs in at around 45 lbs(you can pick it up with one hand, lets see you do that with a 203 range box). If you are unfamiliar with the Diablo, it uses the planetary gear set from a NP241 just like a klune or BB. Pic of the main unit shown below. Regardless of which way you want to go we can help you out. We can build a setup for any 31 or 32 spline 205, round or figure 8 pattern. Let me know what tcase you have in mind and which way you are looking to go.
Thanks,
Mike
Trail Tech Fab

Some other info.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12788829&postcount=17
do you have a pic and dimensions of this mated to the fig 8 205 thanks

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hey mike, lookn forward to hearing from you on the 4L80e to ford 205 adapter, i left a PM and voicemail, wow sorry to hear about the hurricane. contact me as soon as you can, thanks chris 701 640 9683

·
Trail Tech Fab
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Hey mike, lookn forward to hearing from you on the 4L80e to ford 205 adapter, i left a PM and voicemail, wow sorry to hear about the hurricane. contact me as soon as you can, thanks chris 701 640 9683
Chris, invoice on the way, thanks.

·
Trail Tech Fab
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Do you have a stub shaft to fit your 2wd output shaft and mate to your 23 spline input? If so we can make the adapter to mate the two. Let us know.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote on Diablo Box Th400 to NP205
TH400 has 32 spline currently setup with a NP203
NP205 has short 32 spline input with GM 6 bolt pattern

101 - 120 of 431 Posts