Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Info: Dana 60 front axle shaft lengths, All Spicer 1967-02

Just a taste of whats coming on my web page....

New chart with all front Dana 60 axle shaft from 1967 - 2002, and Jeep to 2005.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Aggro said:
seems like some are missing to me. 15.98 dodge? 35 spline inner for one.
I could be missing some info. Spicer books and sheets are not 100%, that is for sure. However, I double checked my all Spicer info, this is all they list for Front Dana 60's from 1967-2002.

Edit -> what is your shaft out of?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
WAY old thread and I'm not sure if you've already fixed this on your site, but why does the right inner shaft length on the chevy K30 1 ton list as the same length as the Dodge part, but has the same D/S part number as the shaft for the IH camper at the bottom, when that one is listed as being 3" shorter than the Dodge part? I guess what I'm asking is - does the K30 right inner shaft match the dodge (i.e. lengths are listed correctly in the chart, part number for either the K30 inner right or the IH inner right is wrong) or the IH camper (i.e. part numbers are listed correctly in the chart, length on K30 row is wrong)?

Trying to find out for a friend if a set of 1992 dodge front 60 shafts I have will work in a chevy front 60.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Thanks a ton for that link, looks like I have a whole bunch of reading to do.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If you were to build a custom 14 front on a budget, using new tubes, stock 60 Cs and aftermarket knuckles... can you use stock front 60 inners & 35 spline outers? Instead of having to purchase expensive custom shafts?

You can get a Grizz or Detroit for a 14 with 1.5" 35 spline shafts, right?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Don't know, but that sounds cool.

I think I found the root of the bad info in Mr N's chart. There is a copy/paste error in the D/S X510-8DSD on page 16 (pdf page 22), they copy/pasted the Chevy -5 and -6 axleshaft assembly part numbers into the Dodge kingpin 60 data tables instead of putting the Dodge -1 and -2 assemblies there where they belong. I checked against the Chevy data table and they definitely copy/pasted the entire -5/-6 assembly length/spline table from there to the Dodge section, the lengths match the Chevy stuff as do the part numbers (907967-5/-6) where the lengths (apparently) and part numbers (907967-1/-2) should be different in the Dodge section.

This shit is all really confusing to me, I'm still poring over it and trying to understand how it all goes together, especially the Dodge vehicle model numbers since I know the axle I'm working with for donor parts came from a 92 D250 and they don't appear to list anything except D200, D300, D600, D700.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This shit is all really confusing to me, I'm still poring over it and trying to understand how it all goes together,
I feel your pain!
It took talking to 20+ people at Dana before I found someone who'd help me. They sent me some books for free. Then I had to figure out the same stuff you are going through... Then I borrowed a digital camera from work (before anyone person I knew could afford one) and took a couple of pics...
took some notes, page grew over time, see signature

Let me know what you find out, keep post the page numbers and stuff, I'll create a new chart and save it at the same link with the correct updated info.

I've backed solved axle shaft lengths to get the right part number, might give that a shot here: http://www2.dana.com/pdf/XGI.pdf

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Will do! If I find anything else I'll post up.

Dumb question (don't spend any real time on it, I'll find it myself if you don't know off the top of your head) - any stock 30 spline outer shafts you know of with a 12" tip to ujoint center length (to match chevy/dodge 60 spindles/hubs) that fit a 5-760x / d44 size ujoint? I'm working on a somewhat hare-brained scheme, which is why I'm looking at all this stuff in the first place, and I need that shaft. If it's a stock app I haven't found yet, it would definitely save me some money vs having custom shafts done.

EDIT: I looked through the whole XGI catalog and couldn't find anything. Bummer, looks like I'll have to have someone cut down and respline some 30 spline 44 inner shafts or something. May need bushings to make the spindle bearings ride true, too.

·
Vendor
1,408 Posts
You can get a Grizz or Detroit for a 14 with 1.5" 35 spline shafts, right?
Nope, those are made 30 spline to match the OEM 14 bolt shafts (cut different than most Dana shafts, closest to 37 spline Dana). You would need custom cut inner shafts, though they aren't as expensive as you might think.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hmmm I would think that should be an option. That sucks...
So... custom inners, & 35 spline 60 outers. 60 spindles & slugs. Ok cool
I wish Spidertrax made 60 rotors, brackets & calipers.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Info: Dana 60 front axle shaft lengths, All Spicer 1967-02

Just a taste of whats coming on my web page....

New chart with all front Dana 60 axle shaft from 1967 - 2002, and Jeep to 2005.

I currently run a Chevy kingpin 60 in the front of my buggy, and am looking to build a pair of steering 609s for cone dodging. I was originally looking to just run my current inner shafts, but have considered going to a narrower off the shelf shaft to narrow up the WMS. If I'm reading this correctly, I can only lose around .5" on the longside going to a 78-79 Ford longside and maybe 1.5" on the short side going to an 86+ Ford shortside.

Am I correct in what I'm reading? That would bring my WMS in around 2" or I'd need custom length inners, which I'm trying to avoid for ease of a replacement.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
That chart is not right. A Dodge kp 60 is 67.5 WMS. The short inner side shaft interchanges with an 85.5-88 Ford. Long side is Chevy length.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
That Ford outer won't change WMS, the inner wheel bearing and the wheel mounting surface stays in the same position with the Ford hub.. You just lose 5/8" of hub stick out and you need to run a 5/8 shorter spindle(have seen GM/Dodge spindles turned in the lathe to suit before.)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Not sure what outers you plan to use, but using 05+ outers and stock Chevy shafts puts you around 67". If that chart is correct, using the 86-91 ford outer with the gm inner should put you around 66"?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/35992194-post2052.html
I already have all Chevy KP from the Cs out. Switching to a superduty setup would cost more and I'd need to swap lug pattern as I'm running 5x5.5 conversion hubs. So I'm keeping the Chevy outers I already have 4 of, and trying to search around on inner shafts that use the same ujoint but maybe a little narrower.

If I wasn't on a budget or using parts I already have, I would go to Jesse's portals.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Should work out even better for you then. I wanted to cut my kingpin outer C's off and weld on super duty outers, but when I measured, the SD stuff was 1" wider per side from wheel flange to inner C face.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Should work out even better for you then. I wanted to cut my kingpin outer C's off and weld on super duty outers, but when I measured, the SD stuff was 1" wider per side from wheel flange to inner C face.
So I am correct that without a custom length inner, those are my only option for narrowing my WMS and keeping my current Chevy KP outer?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts